A nice update thanks! Unless some others I like the tree collision, I'm not afraid about tree collisions with the more slender tree models. A step to the more realistic direction, I hope at some point furniture will have collision too - that will hopefully enabling items put on top of tables etc. as well.

Corpse permissions
A long requested feature is a way to protect items on branded mount corpses. When a creature died any items on it could be looted, but no more! 
With the next update when a branded creature dies, the corpse can only be interacted with by those people who had ride/lead permissions on that animal prior to it's death .

Is it ride permission or manage equipment permission? Ride permission should not allow interaction if manage equipment is unset.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

If mobs can avoid tree collision, then so should players.  If players collide with trees AND mobs collide with trees, I'm ok with collision, otherwise I see a lot of clear cutting in my neck of the woods.  Heck, I might as well cover everything with steppe at that point.

• Like 1

I think everyone will get used to it quick enough.  It isn't going to be the same as when trees were fat.  The time it takes to clear cut everything is certainly going to be longer than the time it takes to swerve around a few trees.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wurmhole said:

I think everyone will get used to it quick enough.  It isn't going to be the same as when trees were fat.  The time it takes to clear cut everything is certainly going to be longer than the time it takes to swerve around a few trees.

A big one-time effort is much more time-efficient than a constant small effort. It's better to spend some weeks doing something grotesquely boring (like clear-cutting) than to spend time doing bouts of something grotesquely boring and annoying every time you log in (faceplant trees). That's my opinion at least.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Amadee said:

Burning Question:  Are you going to address the issue of mobs not having the same restrictions as we do?  (ie: Mobs running through the trees in a straight line while players must run a zig-zag obstacle course, with the  mobs able to hit  through the trees while players cannot. Bad news for new players)

Good question... Did this get answered?

6 hours ago, Amadee said:

Burning Question:  Are you going to address the issue of mobs not having the same restrictions as we do?  (ie: Mobs running through the trees in a straight line while players must run a zig-zag obstacle course, with the  mobs able to hit  through the trees while players cannot. Bad news for new players)

Yes actually (somewhere in the list of 50 other things I want to do). When I get some time to go back onto creature movement in the near future, I have a plan to give creatures a way to path through a single tile in a similar way to how they path through an area.

Long story short, for creatures this will act sort of like breaking down a single tile into a grid where the positions of trees and whatever other undesirables will be visible to the creature, and they'll have to plan their movement through the tile using that information. Payoff of this will be creatures that act a bit more realistic, having to smartly path their way around trees and obstacles in the same way a player has to instead of ghosting directly towards their goal as they do currently.

• Like 10

Super hype about the trees coming back, this will help flap fap flat maps imo. 

Edited by Mclavin

34 minutes ago, Budda said:

having to smartly path their way around trees

maybe this will slow down there migration to the coast, east side of celebration if humorous, does this mean eventually you can loose champ trolls by ducking into a chestnut forest?

The modified creature movement already brought down livestock from the steep cliffsides on Celebration - currently they are acting up as lemmings and kill themselves into the ocean. I see the intention and hopefully Budda will have time to punch some code lines there soon to further improve the 0,2,4 and more legged companions we have in the game.

40 minutes ago, Budda said:

and they'll have to plan their movement through the tile using that information

I read in another tread an old timer explained how it used to be. Running for your life from mobs. going around trees, the mobs running right through the trees. Then, the mobs get to attack the player through the tree, but the player can not attack back since things are so realistic that the tree is 'real' for the player, but not so 'realistic' for the mobs to have to go around the tree to attack the players.

Honestly? I should be able to hide from a mob on the other side of a tree if we are going to talk about realistic game play. If the mob knows I'm on the other side of the tree, then it should be forced to go around the tree before it can engage an attack. Just like a wall/fence.

But all this extra code? For what though. Why so much work to do this to your players?

My thinking right now, the 1st time I die due to some tree collision glitch. The 1st time I die because I can not get away cause the tree collisions inhibited me.. The 1st time I die cause I can not attack through a tree a mob on the other side whaling on me. I got no idea. I suspect I won't be happy in a very big way.

Either way, I'm not a game developer for a reason. I got no idea. I like Wurm now, and so I play Wurm. If you guys keep changing things till I don't like Wurm, I'll find another game. It could still happen that I will like tree collisions once I get used to them. I can not say. I did go to the test server and ran into a tree. But that did not tell me how it would be on a horse running from a handful of trolls, or a mob of mobs, desperately trying to find a guard tower.

OMG... does tree collisions mean when I cursor over a tree I won't be able to detect mobs on the other side of a tree? does this mean I won't be able to detect local guard towers by cursor over-ing trees. Will trees become selectable, lol. Ya, that don't sound good too.

I guess i'll find out more when u post ur update.

8 minutes ago, TeeeBOMB said:

I read in another tread an old timer explained how it used to be. Running for your life from mobs. going around trees, the mobs running right through the trees. Then, the mobs get to attack the player through the tree, but the player can not attack back since things are so realistic that the tree is 'real' for the player, but not so 'realistic' for the mobs to have to go around the tree to attack the players.

You could and will be able to attack back or target mobs through trees.

My thinking right now, the 1st time I die due to some tree collision glitch. The 1st time I die because I can not get away cause the tree collisions inhibited me.. The 1st time I die cause I can not attack through a tree a mob on the other side whaling on me. I got no idea. I suspect I won't be happy in a very big way.

Never happened to me that a tree hooked me up into it and not letting to go. Chestnuts, olives were pretty but now with the slender trunks they will be much less pain to navigate through.

Either way, I'm not a game developer for a reason. I got no idea. I like Wurm now, and so I play Wurm. If you guys keep changing things till I don't like Wurm, I'll find another game. It could still happen that I will like tree collisions once I get used to them. I can not say. I did go to the test server and ran into a tree. But that did not tell me how it would be on a horse running from a handful of trolls, or a mob of mobs, desperately trying to find a guard tower.

OMG... does tree collisions mean when I cursor over a tree I won't be able to detect mobs on the other side of a tree? does this mean I won't be able to detect local guard towers by cursor over-ing trees. Will trees become selectable, lol. Ya, that don't sound good too.

You will see the outline of the mobs, the name of the mob and all actions will be available against them just like now.

This change will give the importance of roads back - now they are not really more than eye candies.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

Tree collision also bring back single and double door issues for wagons, carts?

Leave it alone, people already get stuck walking through trees and over bridged enough :):D

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SmackedDown said:

Tree collision also bring back single and double door issues for wagons, carts?

Leave it alone, people already get stuck walking through trees and over bridged enough :):D

No, the changes to carts and wagons going through doors (and single doors) was an intentional change. 

Come and hate me - I would revert the ability of wagons entering through single doors... looks silly. Yes, I enjoy entering through single doors myself but still.

Tree collision = me never leaving deed again.

i hated it before, I hated it in WU, and I'm going to back to hating it again. 

Ugh. Bad, bad change.

• Like 6

On 9/15/2017 at 3:22 PM, Budda said:

Yes actually (somewhere in the list of 50 other things I want to do). When I get some time to go back onto creature movement in the near future, I have a plan to give creatures a way to path through a single tile in a similar way to how they path through an area.

Long story short, for creatures this will act sort of like breaking down a single tile into a grid where the positions of trees and whatever other undesirables will be visible to the creature, and they'll have to plan their movement through the tile using that information. Payoff of this will be creatures that act a bit more realistic, having to smartly path their way around trees and obstacles in the same way a player has to instead of ghosting directly towards their goal as they do currently.

I'm glad to hear this, but that tells me that the problem has not been fixed yet.  So that leads to another question...............

Would it be unreasonable to wait to add tree collision until this has been addressed?  If it is unreasonable to wait, why?  

I understand that you guys are working like one-armed paper hangers in a hurricane, but this doesn't give me much hope that it will be any time soon and in the meantime we are stuck with the problem. If you wait and add them together, it will be a wee bit easier to take since it appears that we'll have to live with this, one way or another.

Edited by Amadee

5 hours ago, Jaz said:

You could and will be able to attack back or target mobs through trees.

This is not how I remember it.  Either your memory is faulty or mine is.  I distinctly remember not being able to hit mobs through the trees.  They hit from two tiles away and trees did not hinder that, but it did hinder me.

Edited by Amadee

33 minutes ago, Amadee said:

This is not how I remember it.  Either your memory is faulty or mine is.  I distinctly remember not being able to hit mobs through the trees.  They hit from two tiles away and trees did not hinder that, but it did hinder me.

trees dont hinder fighting, just movement

9 hours ago, Rocky said:

Will the trees block arrows?

I think blades of grass blowing in the breeze block arrows, so tree's certainly will.

19 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

The time it takes to clear cut everything is certainly going to be longer than the time it takes to swerve around a few trees.

This is just a threat from that poster to inflict his displeasure (misery) upon others. In effect he says "You give me tree collision then I will cut them all down! Ha, ha!" Childish really and just more destruction to the forest environments. The Rifts have already decimated them around my local area so a mentality such as this will do little damage there. Now since I am no longer acting as the Forest Caretaker outside of my deeds the contrast is very evident. Not in the best interest of the game to contribute to this barren blandness, especially by substituting other perpetuators or villains.

=Ayes=

• Like 1