header.png

Another awesome picture - Kasumi

Greetings Wurmians!

We've been hard at work this week with the new big features coming, which aren't yet ready for big reveals, but don't worry, there's still plenty to share!

Damaged goods
One change coming in the next update is a more visual indicator of damage in your inventory.

Items with greater than 0, but under 20 damage will show in a light yellow, with items higher than 20 damage having a darker orange. 

damage.png

This option can be disabled in the settings, but should help a lot with reminding you all to repair your tools before you lose them!

Tree collisions
There's been an ongoing thread (and debate) about the tree collisions. and after the improvements to the width of the blocking trees, we'll be reintroducing them into the game. We've reworked how the collisions work and they've been on test for a while as well as Wurm Unlimited, so we know they function quite smoothly and shouldn't get players stuck like the old ones.

Expect this to come into effect next update, so sharpen those hatchets!

Corpse permissions
A long requested feature is a way to protect items on branded mount corpses. When a creature died any items on it could be looted, but no more! 
With the next update when a branded creature dies, the corpse can only be interacted with by those people who had ride/lead permissions on that animal prior to it's death .People without permission cannot take, open, butcher, bury or move the corpse.
Due to the way the corpses work this will only last until the next reboot, so if you do lose a mount, be sure to collect the gear before the next time the server goes down!

Fosters Farm

This weeks community content is the return of Emoo and Fosters Brewery, with a timelapse video of the creation of his farm. 

That's it from us this week, and this is just a fragment of what's in the works, and I look forward to sharing it all with you soon!
Until then though, keep on Wurming!
Retrograde & The Wurm team.

• Like 19

29 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Corpse permissions
A long requested feature is a way to protect items on branded mount corpses. When a creature died any items on it could be looted, but no more! 
With the next update when a branded creature dies, the corpse can only be interacted with by those people who had ride/lead permissions on that animal prior to it's death .People without permission cannot take, open, butcher, bury or move the corpse.
Due to the way the corpses work this will only last until the next reboot, so if you do lose a mount, be sure to collect the gear before the next time the server goes down!

Good news, so if a branded animal dies and no one claims the gear, it will eventually become an item pile once the corpse decays like a player corpse?

Damaged color indicators nice change, really shouldn't let your shoe's go so bad though retro.

Just now, JakeRivers said:

Good news, so if a branded animal dies and no one claims the gear, it will eventually become an item pile once the corpse decays like a player corpse?

Yes, but also a reboot before that will allow the items to be taken too (since we don't store permissions on corpses)

51 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Tree collisions

There's been an ongoing thread (and debate) about the tree collisions. and after the improvements to the width of the blocking trees, we'll be reintroducing them into the game. We've reworked how the collisions work and they've been on test for a while as well as Wurm Unlimited, so we know they function quite smoothly and shouldn't get players stuck like the old ones.

Was nice up until this part. I'll go into it with an open mind, but this is definitely a resounding 'meh' right now, at best.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Tree collisions

What debate?  There's never been a real debate because the decision was already made and nothing anyone could say was ever going to change it.

So, are you guys ever going to answer the burning question we've asked about, that's been asked numerous times ad-nauseum and never yet answered that I've been able to find?  You claim thinner trees address the problems.  Here is the question yet again.........

Burning Question:  Are you going to address the issue of mobs not having the same restrictions as we do?  (ie: Mobs running through the trees in a straight line while players must run a zig-zag obstacle course, with the  mobs able to hit  through the trees while players cannot. Bad news for new players)

As far as I'm concerned, if this is not being addressed, then thinner trees are nothing more than a token concession and my earlier comments in another thread still stand....I will try to restrain myself from too many I-told-you-so posts when the manure hits the proverbial fan.

(edit: Was gonna "like" the op but with this in it, I just can't bring myself to hit that button.)

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 7

54 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Tree collisions

Wurm has been objectively more fun to explore since it was disabled. Let me summarize the reasons from the "debate" you mention:

Pro collision arguments:

• It was intended to return.
  • It is immersive
  • Buffs roadbuilding
  • Helps you climb by giving you a ledge to regain stamina

Anti collisions:

• It makes exploring forests less fun and more tedious. Goodbye speeding through wurm on horses, hello stopping every 3 tiles to go around trees.
  • People got stuck a lot inside the trees thanks to glitches. This could turn a bad situation into a deadly one.
  • Mobs don't have tree collision. This means new players on foot are in a lot more danger as the mobs catch up much faster with tree collision than without.
  • Regaining stamina with trees was finicky and glitchy.

Notice that only one of the pro collision arguments is about a benefit tree collision brings. This is yet another quality of life nerf disguised as "reintroducing" a feature.

• Like 10

What happened to the animal cages? Are they still coming in the near future or is it not possible to implement them? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sirene said:

What happened to the animal cages? Are they still coming in the near future or is it not possible to implement them? 

There was an update about them in last week Valrei International:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ascorbic said:

Any ball park on when those big features will get a reveal?

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

soon!™

Also, animal cages.

Edited by Nomadikhan

To Retro: I noticed the torch lamp canister flame now fits with in the canister.  some change ago caused it to go from inside canister to larger than.  I was told it was client related and could not be changed until that time client was changed.  That has in fact happened and tyvm! 

Now there was one other item that changed..in some past update from it's original..of uneven tile borders where paving allowed fro the natural/dynamic tile interaction where it looked like one tile fused into the other in natural uneven way..then when new paving came in..things like gravel now have a snap chalk like hard line that looks as if poured concrete footers were used to make perfectly straight lined..I was told that was possibly client based as well...is there any chance of having that feature back..it looked nice on farm land next to grass, and gravel paths looking like natural informal paths partly reclaimed by nature..would be a good segway into mulch paths of woodscrap that behaves same way.  I hope i articulated this last part right..i struggled to say what i mean but in my head see it..scary place that one is.

Edited by Bloodscythe
  • Like 1

Great update. However sad to see there bringing back tree collisions. New players won't know the agony of why it was removed in the first place. Hope it turns out better then the first time.

5 minutes ago, Silentnight said:

Great update. However sad to see there bringing back tree collisions. New players won't know the agony of why it was removed in the first place. Hope it turns out better then the first time.

The Ents rise again..new players indeed will soon know the plinko game feeling of chestnut and walnut forests..esp when chased and pinned there as trolls make relish of you.  This will present extra fun on pvp server as well.  I hear the roar of the crowd of the world is flatter's when i say the will make more game more real..or dat immersion..yet..collision will return the game to a more authentic feel.

Edited by Bloodscythe

ok, yay for trees!  I am one of those that fully approves of the collisions now.  Yes, it can be an inconvenience, but it disturbs my senses when I just glide through them.  It seems strange to me that I glide through trees, but crash into walls and mountains.  Maybe creature collisions one day?  Traveling through a tunnel and 3 trolls blocking it... that should be an oh Sh-t moment, not a simple walk in the park to go right through them like they never existed.

Edit: and ty also for the damage colors.  This gives me hope that custom text colors will be coming to chat and event tabs

Edited by Wurmhole
  • Like 2

WU?  Wuhen? :3

Last weeks' updates are adding up to a lot of awesome.

Sharpen your axes, folks, the great arborcide is nigh...

Edited by drvst
  • Like 5

funny thing about tree colisions, I entered my horse pen on the test server to grab a horse in the front corner and a chestnut has grown next to the gate, i couldn't get to the horse and was confused for a second thinking that I had added another section of fence inside the pen till I realized it was just the tree needed some axe attention

We spent several weeks removing all the chestnut trees around our deed on Xanadu because it was in the northern parts and they were a real safety hazard: Then they stopped being a safety hazard and their nuts became an integral part of cooking for those that for some reason happen to like it. But now they're back to being death traps. I don't understand the point of introducing new tree kinds when we won't be able to enjoy them. If people want immersion they can simply walk around the trees, since it's for their own enjoyment and not actually something that we need.

Not looking forward to getting stuck in a cart behind trees, but hey: "The collision was always meant to return" brings such comfort. Or not.

I'm glad the damage indicator colours can be turned off though: It's a great improvement and very much appreciated that options like that are introduced along with the new features nowadays.

• Like 8

I'm really happy I can soon rest against trees again when out climbing-

• Like 1

Not in favour of tree collisions as it will make my sprout forest deeds near-impossible to manage by cart with the number of trees needed, I might have to consider letting them go.

I was of the mind that Tree collision would cause trouble when running away from mobs as well until I tried it on WU. I have to say I do like the Tree collisions a lot. It gives a feeling of realism that changed my game experience.

I started a new character on a WU server and had absolutely no problems autorruning through a forest. See, the way it works, if you hit the border of a tree, it wont stop you: you simply slide around and continue running. Its kinda like when you autorrun into a wall at an angle, as in your char slides along the wall until it hits the edge and goes on. 

Since trees are so much shorter than walls, this is a non issue. I kinda like it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Amadee said:

What debate?  There's never been a real debate because the decision was already made and nothing anyone could say was ever going to change it.

There ya go. Pointless to make any comments further.

*shrugs*

=Ayes=

• Like 1