Sign in to follow this  
dalamarkanan

[Fixed] Wurm Client doesn't load

I'm a new player, but the client never loads i do the following:
- run wurmclient.jnlp as downloaded from the website
- app downloads (java window)
- a small splash appears with the logo
- a small gray spalsh screen appear and stay there forever.
- the app becomes unresponsive: "Wurm Online [Stable] (not responding)"

I've tried already to downgrade the java vm to 131, install, uninstall, reboot, etc ... any other idea ? I've tried to start it with the java console open ... the console hangs too :(

Video:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6NoyiUf2Gz7SUFCc1dCa0lEdzg

Java Console
GKvl2vH.png

I found this post which seems similar

specifically this is what worked

I went to the 'General' tab and into the network settings and changed it to direct connection rather than browser settings. I remembered Chrome doesn't support java so maybe that's why, I'm not sure though.

Hello.  Apologies for jumping in here, but I too have the exact same issue.  I haven't played in months. I deleted WO a while ago, then kinda missed it.  I finally decided to get back in and nothing appears to work now.  I've tried the same things as Dalamarkanan above with no luck.

I've tried several other potential fixes mentioned throughout this forum but to no avail.

MBP 2011, OS X Sierra 10.12.6

Java 8 Update 144

Thanks for any advice you guys can give!

Edit: Just noticed this... Curiously, the game still launches and works (rather poorly) on my 2007 iMac, also with java 8u144. The logo has changed from the WO logo to the generic applications icon with "Stable" added to the name. 

Edited by FJC

The same issue. 

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)

OS X Sierra 10.12.6

Java 8 Update 144

I am also having this issue.  Has anyone found a solution?

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2017)

OS X Sierra 10.12

Java 8 Update 151

Same here.  I am having the same issue.  I tried to uninstall, re-install, used 2 versions of java, reset security,... Nothing, same white rectangular box appear every time I try to run Wurm..  Any suggestion?

Gerlion:  Any luck on the issue? I have been trying to solve the problem with different methods, with no avail?  :-(

Rhinox, I have also tried many different methods.  So far no love from the client.  

Anyone got any solution yet? Pls offer some suggestions to make it run....

I have also tried the Low Memory version but failed to launch again.  Here is the report:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<jnlp
        spec="1.0+"
        codebase="http://www.wurmonline.com/client/"
        href="wurmclient_lowmem.jnlp">
    <information>
                    <title>Wurm Online [Stable (Low Memory)]</title>
                <vendor>CodeClub AB</vendor>
        <homepage href="http://www.wurmonline.com" />
        <description>Wurm Online Client</description>
        <icon href="wurm_icon_128.png" width="128" height="128" />
        <icon href="wurm_icon_64.png" width="64" height="64" />
        <icon href="wurm_icon_32.png" width="32" height="32" />
        <icon href="wurm_icon_16.png" width="16" height="16" />
        <icon kind="splash" href="splash.gif" />
        <shortcut online="true">
            <desktop />
            <menu submenu="Wurm Online" />
        </shortcut>
    </information>
    <update check="timeout" policy="always" />
    <security>
        <all-permissions />
    </security>
    <resources>
        <j2se
                href="http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se"
                version="1.8+"
                            java-vm-args="-XX:+UseG1GC -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=8 -XX:+UseStringDeduplication"
                                        initial-heap-size="512m"
                                        max-heap-size="1024m"
                    />
        <property name="sun.java2d.noddraw" value="true" />
        <property name="org.lwjgl.input.Mouse.allowNegativeMouseCoords" value="true" />

<property name="jnlp.versionEnabled" value="true" />
    <jar href="libraries-stable_lowmem/WurmClient-small.jar" version="4.0.12" main="true"/>
    <jar href="libraries-stable_lowmem/httpclient.jar" version="4.5.3"/>
    <jar href="libraries-stable_lowmem/httpcore.jar" version="4.4.6"/>
    <jar href="libraries-stable_lowmem/commons-logging.jar" version="1.2"/>
    <jar href="libraries-stable_lowmem/commons-codec.jar" version="1.9"/>
    <jar href="libraries-stable_lowmem/pngdecoder.jar" version="1.0"/>
    <jar href="libraries-stable_lowmem/irclib.jar" version="1.10"/>
    <jar href="libraries-stable_lowmem/lwjgl_util.jar" version="2.9.1"/>
    <jar href="libraries-stable_lowmem/lwjgl.jar" version="2.9.1"/>
    <jar href="libraries-stable_lowmem/jinput.jar" version="2.0.5"/>
    <jar href="libraries-stable_lowmem/jutils.jar" version="1.0.0"/>
    <jar href="libraries-stable_lowmem/jorbis.jar" version="0.0.17"/>
    <jar href="libraries-stable_lowmem/vecmath.jar" version="1.5.2"/>
    <jar href="libraries-stable_lowmem/jbullet.jar" version="1.0.0"/>
    <jar href="libraries-stable_lowmem/JZipUpdate.jar" version="0.9.1"/>
    <jar href="libraries-stable_lowmem/joxsi.jar" version="1.0.0"/>
    <jar href="libraries-stable_lowmem/jme-collada-binding.jar" version="1.0.0"/>
    <jar href="libraries-stable_lowmem/jsquish.jar" version="2.0.0"/>
    <jar href="libraries-stable_lowmem/slick-util.jar" version="b208"/>
    <jar href="libraries-stable_lowmem/jogg.jar" version="0.0.7"/>

</resources>
    <resources os="Win" arch="x86"><!-- Windows 32-bit java -->
        <nativelib href="libraries-stable_lowmem/lwjgl-platform-natives-windows.jar" version="2.9.1"/>
        <nativelib href="libraries-stable_lowmem/jinput-platform-natives-windows.jar" version="2.0.5"/>
    </resources>
    <resources os="Win" arch="amd64"><!-- Windows 64-bit java -->
        <nativelib href="libraries-stable_lowmem/lwjgl-platform-natives-windows.jar" version="2.9.1"/>
        <nativelib href="libraries-stable_lowmem/jinput-platform-natives-windows.jar" version="2.0.5"/>
    </resources>
    <resources os="Mac" arch="ppc"><!-- PowerPC Mac -->
        <nativelib href="libraries-stable_lowmem/lwjgl-platform-natives-osx.jar" version="2.9.1"/>
        <nativelib href="libraries-stable_lowmem/jinput-platform-natives-osx.jar" version="2.0.5"/>
    </resources>
    <resources os="Mac" arch="i386"><!-- Intel Mac 32-bit java -->
        <nativelib href="libraries-stable_lowmem/lwjgl-platform-natives-osx.jar" version="2.9.1"/>
        <nativelib href="libraries-stable_lowmem/jinput-platform-natives-osx.jar" version="2.0.5"/>
    </resources>
    <resources os="Mac" arch="x86_64"><!-- Intel Mac 64-bit java -->
    </resources>
    <resources os="Linux" arch="i386"><!-- Linux 32-bit Sun java -->
        <nativelib href="libraries-stable_lowmem/lwjgl-platform-natives-linux.jar" version="2.9.1"/>
        <nativelib href="libraries-stable_lowmem/jinput-platform-natives-linux.jar" version="2.0.5"/>
    </resources>
    <resources os="Linux" arch="x86"><!-- UNKNOWN -->
        <nativelib href="libraries-stable_lowmem/lwjgl-platform-natives-linux.jar" version="2.9.1"/>
        <nativelib href="libraries-stable_lowmem/jinput-platform-natives-linux.jar" version="2.0.5"/>
    </resources>
    <resources os="Linux" arch="amd64"><!-- Linux 64-bit Sun java -->
    </resources>
    <resources os="Linux" arch="x86_64"><!-- UNKNOWN -->
    </resources>
    <application-desc main-class="com.wurmonline.client.launcherfx.WurmMain"  name="Wurm Online" />
</jnlp>

trying to run from terminal with additional info shows that there is exception:

$ javaws ./wurmclient.jnlp -verbose

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class java.lang.ProcessEnvironment

at java.lang.System.getenv(System.java:897)

at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.lambda$getHeadlessProperty$0(GraphicsEnvironment.java:178)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getHeadlessProperty(GraphicsEnvironment.java:164)

at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.isHeadless(GraphicsEnvironment.java:141)

at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1941)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1824)

at java.lang.Runtime.load0(Runtime.java:809)

at java.lang.System.load(System.java:1086)

at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1941)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1845)

at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:870)

at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1122)

at java.awt.Toolkit$3.run(Toolkit.java:1636)

at java.awt.Toolkit$3.run(Toolkit.java:1634)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.awt.Toolkit.loadLibraries(Toolkit.java:1633)

at java.awt.Toolkit.<clinit>(Toolkit.java:1668)

at com.sun.javaws.ui.SplashScreen.hide(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.ui.LaunchErrorDialog.show(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Main.main(Unknown Source)

II'm having the same issue on my Macbook Pro, running OS 10.13.1. Up to date Java. I open the client, the little splash rectangle shows, then it goes away and the app is nonresponsive. I got the same error message in Java console — that bit about "allowNegativeMouseCoordinates." Tried unplugging my USB mouse and restarting but no luck. Low mem client doesn't help at all. Gonna mess around with mouse stuff maybe, see if there's some weird Mac mouse thing going on. 

For Mac Pro users having troubling in running the Wurm application with up to date Java, where the app is non responsive, I think the developer will not look into the comments here.  Just a waste of time.

My recommendation is to go to the Wurm Online Official facebook account and complain over there.  I even asked that if someone paid and suffered these issues, can he/she get refund. I tried and at least someone responded to me over the facebook chat messenger and said they will ask the technician to look into it.   This is their response:

10006293_798149270204143_675149765404738
"Awesome! I will get in contact with our dev team about the issue, see what they can find and will let you know"

Unfortunately, I did this 1 week ago and there is no response yet.

Good luck everyone.

• Like 1

Client crashes for me several seconds after launching it on macOS High Sierra with the following error message:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.lwjgl.openal.OpenALException
    at jdk.deploy@9.0.1/com.sun.deploy.security.DeployURLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
    at jdk.javaws@9.0.1/com.sun.jnlp.JNLPClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at jdk.javaws@9.0.1/com.sun.jnlp.JNLPClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at com.wurmonline.client.launcherfx.WurmMain.start(SourceFile:205)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication1$9(Unknown Source)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runAndWait$11(Unknown Source)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$9(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$10(Unknown Source)
    at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(Unknown Source)

I am now aligning in the row of issues...

Bought a used MacBook Pro 2012 and cannot get the client to run either... Splash-screen shows for a second, logo is being created on the desktop during the first attempt after downloading but then the game freezes... tried changing the networking settings of JAVA and had the screen to show longer before the information was shown that the app could not be loaded...

I assume there is no solution found yet, is there?

Interestingly, the game still runs on the MacBook Pro 2009 of my fiancé with the same JAVA version...

Regards,

Chris

I asked about this on November 30th on the Wurm Online official Facebook page and got the following response:

Hi, We're investigating a few rare issues with macs, but have so far been unable to identify the causes, it's not happening to all macs, so it makes it hard to narrow down, but it's still being looked at.

There's a fair few threads on the issue, we're collecting information to find a common link, but yeah, totally get it's a pain. Thanks for that info, I'll be sure to pass it on to the dev team to check.

• Like 1

I am working through this as well. I got the latest Macbook Pro and am unable to get Wurm to load. The splash image pops up, the Wurm W icon shows up in the system tray/task bar, then nothing. I have tried to change security settings to allow Java to run, including whitelisting various forms of wurmonline.com. Ultimately I am unable to get anywhere. Seems like High Sierra is not enjoying Java and that is where the problem exists. Still researching, but having dev's eyes on it would be awesome...

Placed my issue with the Wurm-team on Facebook as well and received their feedback yesterday:

Thanks for that, I've passed this info on to the dev team to add to their investigation. We're still not sure whats causing it, but we're working closely with the client developers to identify potential causes asap.

@ Revnik: I'd recon that the more players report this issue, the faster it will get solved.

Has anyone tested disabling sound (disabled, not just set to 0) to make sure this is not some how similar to the "whitescreen" problem with certain PC users, which seems to sometimes be affected by hardware/software mode in sound?

Since the one snippet of errorcode above from Sagaras  mentions 'OpenALException" which might be (hardware) sound coding, and maybe mac is not handling OpenAL as wurm devs expect it to?  

It is interesting that a number of people are finding it runs fine on much older macbooks (circa 2007-2009)  but not on their newer ones (2012-2017)  ..

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

21 hours ago, Finnn said:

Do you get the same problem if you run the game from the console w/o any changes?(optimizations/tips/etc..)

Problem could be from your browser handling of the process somehow, proxy settings, permissions, etc etc...

I have already gone in and set it for direct connection, thinking it was using the browser. That didn't work either.

4 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Has anyone tested disabling sound (disabled, not just set to 0) to make sure this is not some how similar to the "whitescreen" problem with certain PC users, which seems to sometimes be affected by hardware/software mode in sound?

Since the one snippet of errorcode above from Sagaras  mentions 'OpenALException" which might be (hardware) sound coding, and maybe mac is not handling OpenAL as wurm devs expect it to?  

It is interesting that a number of people are finding it runs fine on much older macbooks (circa 2007-2009)  but not on their newer ones (2012-2017)  ..

Do you mean disabling the sound in Wurm? I can't even get the client to load the character login screen. It bombs out before that. I have tried various security settings in the Java console but haven't made an inch of progress.

Launching from the mac console flashes a terminal icon in the system tray for a split second, then it closes. The Wurm icon stays in the tray but when long pressing to see open windows it says there is no window to display.

Same for me here as for Revnik... I am not even getting that far to do any adjustments to the game...

I am not familiar with Macs, hopefully this could work similar. On Windows, you can disable sound without launching the game,by opening with a plain text editor  the file named gamesettings.txt  located in  \Wurm\configs\default

Look for this line;

sound_engine=2

change the setting to zero, close and save the file then try launching the game.

0=DISABLE

1=SOFTWARE MODE

2=HARDWARE /OPENAL

if you have a custom config setting rather than editing the default, you might have to check for the corresponding folder (depends what you named it)

Probably this won't make a difference, just one thing to rule out since something in the sound coding seems to crash some windows setups, and might even explain why older macbooks seem to not have the same issue if they have a much different hardware setup

If not sound, there may be another setting.   Do MacBook Pros usually come with both intel and a dedicated card, and for the people affected is that a radeon or a NVidia card? Would be interesting to find out what separates the mac users who do have problems, from the Mac users who don;t have problems. Most of the windows people having issues, seem to have a fairly specific radeon chipset...

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

43 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I am not familiar with Macs, hopefully this could work similar. On Windows, you can disable sound without launching the game,by opening with a plain text editor  the file named gamesettings.txt  located in  \Wurm\configs\default

I will try, but what is happening is we download the JNLP and run that. Typically the launcher comes up and downloads the rest of the files that make up Wurm. It fails before the launcher comes up to download the files. I don't think I even have a directory of files to search through yet.