Sign in to follow this  
Giblet_Jones

[Can be closed] Do you know Rolandt?

The original Rolandt...

I believe you're reading this, because you might know Rolandt. Some of you might have a bad relation to the highly experienced pvp'er, and some doesn't. In fact most people have heard about him, if they have ever set foot on the lands of Chaos. But, when it all comes down, do you really know, the real personality behind the character, Rolandt? 

Well, if you are curious about, this post, keep reading!

I'm gonna start from the top... My name is Jonas, and in wurm, I'm known as Giblet - actually I was used to be called Giblet. I sold my character half a year ago, and thought I would never get back to Wurm Online due to real life problems... But as most people might be able to relate to, that's not how things turn out in the end. :D 

In occasion of my return to Wurm Online, I'd like to share a little story with you. A story about a young, man, who had just learned the English language. If you haven't guessed it, that's me... ;) I started playing Wurm Online back in 2010, and loved the slow gameplay. I was only 10 years old back then, which might seem kinda odd for some people. But anyways, as the years went by, and I started to develop some English skills, which made me able to communicate with other players... Wuup... Wuup...

I was mostly just minding my own business, but that was soon about to end...!

One day, during the hot summer of 2013, I went looking in the chats for pvp. I was curious, and filled up with questions like, how Chaos worked, who's in control, what happens if you died, which weapons should you train, how should you fight, and etc... So what happened next, was me typing in the kingdom chat, that I was looking for advice and tips for pvp, even though I lived on Independence. There was a lot of chat, in the freedom tab and I had started a discussion. Course as you all might know, there's a billion ways to fight, and a billion opinions of what to do...

But one private messaged me, his name was Rolandt... (To make this story easier to tell, I'll let you know that the original Rolandt, is named Brian.) So Brian told me that he wanted to answer every little question I had about pvp, course "apparently", he was very experience... (which I didn't know back then...) But anyways, Brian and I spend hours, and hours typing to each other, about the fascinating world of pvp. As I was about to head to bed, I asked him if it would be okay to type to him again? It was a relief to me, when he agreed to it.

As we had talked for a couple of days, he asked me, if I wanted to help him with his project; a training- & recruiting facility on deliverance. Brian had a huge vision of making a great spot for new players, to train up their skills, before heading to Chaos to join Jenn-Kellon. During a couple of hard working weeks, we had set up the first recruiting facility. Brian had also talked me into Team Speak, even though I wasn't too exited about it, course my pronounce of the English words wasn't too good. But Brian is a salesman, and he convinced me.

I'd had found a true friend that was online every day, and was making such a huge effort, to make me feel welcome. He and I, started to share family stories, political interests, etc... And what I remember the strongest, is his honesty and hospitality. It's not a secret that Brian traveled back and forth during this period - even with his limited time. Anyways, in the following month, I went to join the Jenn-Kellon for the first time. This event, was my first time on Chaos, my first kingdom and might first sight of Chaos. Brian brought me to North Star, where he gave me a spot to settle. No surprise, I was scared as ######! I didn't dare to go outside, since I didn't know if enemies would come by etc... But as I started to get used to it, and my training of pvp began, I got used to it. Brian spend several hours a day, telling me stories and showing me tricks of how to play pvp.

Although, I ended up going back to freedom, course I liked the play of crafting and selling better...

Luckily, that didn't end the relation between Brian and I. We kept on talking, and even added each other on Facebook - Looking back on this, i'm pretty amazed that we managed to keep contact, with my regular month-length breaks. Anyways, we started to joke about me visiting his family in the US - which actually became reality during this summer! During this period, I had a break of Wurm, and was focused on playing Elite Handball in Denmark. But we decided that it was time. The scheduling of this trip started! I found plane tickets, Brian promised me a free stay at his gorgeous home and told me that he had bought 2 tickets for the Football Hall of Fame! so all that was left to do, was to buy the plane ticket to Ohio!

On the 23rd of June, I went off with a plane from Denmark, and was about to meet this guy, that I had never seen in real life... Who should have guessed!?

Brian meet me at my arrival in Ohio, and brought me back to his house, where I meet his family. To be honest, never ever have I meet a more open minded friendly family! This day was the start of a 3 week vacation in Ohio, at Brian's house! As I have now been back in Denmark for almost 2 months, I've got to admit, that it has been the best vacation I have ever had! I got see the true american dream. I got to see how much family means to Brian, who much he cares for people, how much he works to make sure that everything gets done in time!

So you might ask yourself, why share this story. Well the answer is very simple.

I want to let everyone know, which kind of person Brian is! - Never, in these 4 years, have I every seen Brian patronize or let down people. Never have I ever seen a more honest, reliable, open minded, friendly and helpful guy like him! Also, I want to let everyone know what Wurm is capable of, and how it connected me with a stranger, that I'm now proud to say, that I feel like a part of his indescribable family.

I want to let everyone know who, the real Rolandt is - regardless of any rumors! 

- Jones out

WIoxG3k.jpg

Edited by Giblet_Jones
  • Like 4

Well people can act a lot differently in the real world obviously or even completely different. People really hide behind the anonymity of the internet too often and don't act accordingly usually. I've personally had nothing but trouble with him. I'm sure he is a salesman but he isn't a nice person to do business with and aggressive how he messages you. If you're trying to convince everyone to think he is a swell guy, you're wasting time, he has to actively fix his reputation, you're his friend but you might be the only one from this community. I'm glad you have a enjoyable stay though.

My last encounter with him was very toxic.

Edited by Niki
  • Like 2

toxic don't even start to describe this worthless pile of crap

consider yourself lucky to meet the side he don't show in wurm jones

• Like 8

When we play a roleplaying game online, we do such with the intention of playing out a role which we dont normally play in the real world. That doesn't mean we have to be different or that we try to fool others into believing we are something we are not, but more often than not we allow ourselves some guilty pleasures that we would never even consider outside the game. Its a game after all.

Of all the people here I am one of those who can say have directly been wronged by Rolandt, having been kicked from his pmk less than a day after joining without good cause. I have reason to resent him, but I do not because I know he was playing his role and trying to save face for what he had chosen as his online persona. If I was to meet Brian outside the game, I would have no qualms having a beer with him and sharing some good stories.

I am glad you had the pleasure to meet him and had such a good time. He is a family man, and despite all his bad choices and poor reputation in Wurm, Wurm is a videogame and the buck stops there with it. Once he hangs up his Drake set, I'm sure he doesn't spend his day trying to screw over people (...er I take that back. He's an used car salesman after all ;)).

Good story. Glad to hear someone else made a friend from across the world thanks to this game we all love.

• Like 4

People can act quite differently in real life than they would ever in a game. It's nice to see that you had a pleasant experience with him, however, your pleasant experience doesn't change what he did or said to people in game. It's always interesting to peer into the lives of the baddest, loudest, and most annoying characters ingame to see that they too lead a normal life. It's incomprehensible that a person with a family that just does their day to day thing like the normal person could be such a disruptive figure behind the computer screen. It's almost scary what a little bit of anonymity can do to a person.

• Like 8

What part of Ohio did you come to?  I'm guessing near the Columbus area as that's where a lot of the museums and even the rock & roll hall of fame are.  Further south in my area around Dayton we have absolutely nothing worth seeing.  Our weather is just as bad, the northbound lanes of I75 will be sunshine and lovely and the southbound will be pouring rain and miserable.  It's such a weird state, really.

As for Rolandt, only seen the name around.  Best of luck to concerned parties here O.o

Edited by Nomadikhan

Oh i don't think you want to hear the "truth being told" xD

The bulk of my feelings about having known Rolandt as a member of my kingdom and as an enemy in others...is i'm beyond glad that i no longer have to interact with him in this game. His deceitful disgusting attitude is something i think few miss. I don't even know where i would start in listing off nasty ass things hes said to people or done, not to mention that half the things he EVER said were just lies in the name of serving himself.

• Like 17

i still have logs of his extremely rude peronsal strikes at Several different members of DD while i was with that sad excuse for a kingdom, thanks to brian that kingdom is known evermore as being a backstabbing and deceitful kingdom in my eyes as well as many others... and to this day people who had left the kingdom still pm me to ask about how things turned out and share their stories about "Brian" aka salempl or any of the other toons he bought (because his created toon was so fail even he didnt want to play it)...  and never one time has any of these stories been pleasent ones, so im glad someone on this planet has a pleasent story to share about him, but for the other 99% of the players of wurm who crossed paths with him and became discouraged with his overwhelming greed and selfishness, i doubt this will change things, and we are all happy to see him enjoying another game :)

Edited by Evilreaper
spell check :)
  • Like 5

Wasn't that guy the person who wanted to fight everything without caring about anything. I can remember some kind of hunting alliance he founded.

• Like 1

RolandT is my Boyyyyy. 

Roland if you reading this, DD fell without you!!!!

• Like 1

Sometimes the game actions and real person are not the same things though I do have a strong belief of en vino veritas..that how you play that game is a reflection of who you are as a person..role playing included.  The intent and narrative of this experience you've had is fascinating to hear from your trajectory.  It shows how dimensional and complex we are as people.  I"m aware of many a shenanigan done by Rolandt, though I think the motivation is more out of competition and being a scrapper than deliberate malevolence. This same person can be ruthless in a scheme, charismatic to serve his interest, and is as such very good at recruiting and bringing along newer players to raise their boat as well as his.  He's been someone always willing to fight and take a chance..to fully experience the game in manners he saw as opportunities.  The person behind these actions is far more sensitive, sentimental, dreamer with pride.  He has indeed been many things , I think alyeska articulated best the nuances and disparity that can exist in game and within person in RL and that is both interesting and somewhat scary cautionary too.  I tend to see him as a better person than he has been in game, for i have a notion his person is about more out of game and the game is merely a sport to conquer even if not always by the most noble of ways.

I'm unsure why this post or it's intent as it's from the oblique, yet beyond the person..the idea of us as people and player and who we "really" are is fun mental cud.

• Like 1

I started Chaos and DD in November 2016.  Had a blast with Rolandt while he was around when he played on Salempl until April.  He was always trying to plan traps and up to do random things off deed almost every night.  We would pick different alliances to screw with and not just Panda and TC.  When nothing going on he'd host treasure hunts and other events.

Had my share of drama too, but I take it as game competition trash talk.  I don't know everyone else's drama so I really can't compare, but my experience has been okay.  Got me mixed up in 2 conversations I didn't want my name dropped in and something else I forgot that really pissed me off to where I didn't login for couple of days, but all in all it's a game and was something we could talk about and brush off.

Just miss the old school DD in general.  The few people really active at the time became my friends and I couldn't wait to get home and login to talk to my boys.  Was something to look forward to in the day after work.  acaos/miket, golarious, kawdzo, wulfgar, threap...can't forget treetag and valist holding down "the wedge".  Some others here and there like Magda.  Was Rolandt's direction and occasional drama from maybe low blood sugar that kept us going.  We could get a full boat for a fight in under a minute when came to it.

He was the beating heart of DD and when he left it slowly started to fall.  You know he takes wurm pvp a little too serious.  Too bad since it started screwing with his family life and had to give up wurm for now.

Miss you buddy, been boring without you.  I'll roll with you if you come back...    Better than sitting around hota losing deeds.

• Like 1

Glad you had a good experience with the guy and you enjoyed your holiday.

I cannot however say that this post changes any of my total and utter disdain for Rolandt having witnessed his manipulative, self centered, backstabbing and two timing personality both ingame and outside of it. I'm happy that he's been able to put together his family again by the sounds of things which isn't half of what he actually deserves. Rolandt will forever be etched in my mind as one of the most toxic and unpleasant individuals I've ever had to deal with in this game and no number of happy go lucky holiday stories will change that. 

Normally I am really very chill when it comes to my interactions with people in this game, regardless of what faction they've been a part of. So I aplogise if my post seems very blunt, I just hope that you never come to understand why the name Rolandt brings a bitter taste so so many peoples mouths. Best of luck with your friendship. 

• Like 10

That was a really nice story.. I have met several people online that i grew a great bond with and still converse with today. Always hoped that one day I'll be able to chill with them face to face, just to play a game on a laptop in front of them though lol. Never heard of Rolandt but by the way everybody here is describing him, he sound undoubtedly fun to be around. Whether it is him helping or roasting somebody.

I know him, I just can't place where from. It's driving me crazy. (not talking about the in game persona)

1 hour ago, ChampagneDragon said:

I know him, I just can't place where from. It's driving me crazy. (not talking about the in game persona)

You buy a car which broke down within a couple of miles recently??

• Like 2

this thread feels like some serious PR attempt to change how everyone thinks of Roland

Edited by Huntar
  • Like 2

Honestly m8, i don't understand what u wanna acomplish from trying to make this guy look good, but according to 99% of people who met him ingame , including myself, think he's a piece of trash, absolute subhuman , you think we give a crap about whatever he is in real life? Dude ive got one of the worst reputations here for stealing, do you think i go around stealing in real life? No i don't, does that mean people here do not hate me? No, it freaking doesn't, nobody cares about ur stupid holiday go write fairy tales elsewhere

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 1:38 PM, Giblet_Jones said:

I believe you're reading this, because you might know Rolandt.

Nope, don't know Rolandt. I am reading this though because it is posted in Town Square. Really don't even know nothing about him either, so I can't make any judgments about others responses one way or the other. As the story is told, so the facts fade and blend into a different shade. Trees give off the best shade though. Don't you think?

=Ayes=

• Like 2

On 9/15/2017 at 11:53 AM, Redd said:

You buy a car which broke down within a couple of miles recently??

Nah. Maybe a poker room?