Sign in to follow this  
Tallios

Change Measuring cups

I would like to suggest a change to measuring cups.  

instead of the current adjustable cup that we have. which could be adjusted to the following measures

• 1g, 2g, 5g, 10g, 20g, 50g, 100g, 200g, 500g, 1kg, 2kg, 5kg, 10kg

Could it be changed to a series of cups?

where you open the measuring cups, and have a series of 13 cups one of each size.

This way you can pick up 500g and then fill the 20g and a 10g cups from the 500g cup to get 470g for a recipe?

• Like 2

I see, pretty much recycling the code for "shelves" again, presumably. It would certainly save the hassle with setting new volumes constantly, JUGgling liquids (I had to.) among containers via drag and drop across mutliple windows. Took me a moment to realize the benefit over a simple "pour" option that I spitballed in another thread, as this will remove the "Set volume"-madness" for odd volume numbers altogether, rather than making dealing with it just slightly easier (By adding an option to bypass drag and drop to move liquids from one container to another. You could probably "abuse" the existing Fill option but then you'd have to have all involved containers in your inventory and still expand them/open new windows).

I can see some naysayers objecting that you could do this by making several measuring jugs as they exist now, by dedicating each to a certain volume, but that's quite a hack job and unless we get an option to pour a liquid containers content into another one without having several hundreds of windows open, I'd rather see this version of the jug which reduces the amount of windows drastically and streamlines what is otherwise an unneccesarily tedious process of arranging windows each time you cook.

I think a simple Pour option would be an easy solution to remove the window madness to some extent, but this idea has its added benefits for sure, so +1.

Edited by Flubb
  • Like 1

Just use multiple cups at a time.  For example to make meatballs with potato (in bulk), each frying pan requires .70 kg of gravy.  So, set one to 500g and one to 200g.  Drag twice, highlight both, drag to the frying pan.

21 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

Just use multiple cups at a time.  For example to make meatballs with potato (in bulk), each frying pan requires .70 kg of gravy.  So, set one to 500g and one to 200g.  Drag twice, highlight both, drag to the frying pan.

well what I proposed is the concept of multiple cups, but all in one handy container.

no need

set your cup to 500g's, stick 3 chopped herbs in it, I believe this will give you the 470 you are looking for

trade secret from a friend

silly to want 100 cups

-1 from me aswell. theres enough possibilities to do it in case you need it, having an internal cup for every single option sounds like too much off a mess for too little benefit.

1 minute ago, Arium said:

-1 from me aswell. theres enough possibilities to do it in case you need it, having an internal cup for every single option sounds like too much off a mess for too little benefit.

to much of a mess?  seriously?

This is merely a change of an adjustable measure to a series of fixed cups.  I'm not asking for a full combat revamp or anything.  If as @JakeRiverspointed out you want to use a jar with seeds or chopped herbs to offset water room.  Go for it.  This is as he put it, one of those pro tips.  I'm just asking that the measuring jug be made into what most people have in their kitchens, a set of specific measuring cups that don't require manual adjustment in-between.

I think that the benefit is self evident for people who cook.

If you wanted to take this to an extreme, why not have measuring jugs that you can manually dial in to measured amount and not have this fixed measures in between.  Then anyone who cooks in bulk can have 1 cup per measured ingredient, which would greatly simplify there cooking.

• Like 1

+1 for a self-contained 'measuring cup set'

in addition to the 'measuring jug' as it is now. 

The weight of this new cup set should be about double what the jug is, considering the total capacity of the cups.

That weight would still be far less than 13 jugs.

• Like 1

-1, I don't see how carrying around 2 or 3 jugs doesn't accomplish this, especially using "fillers" as JakeRivers suggests. 

I normally fill a container with meats of a certain volume to get a specific kg of liquid as well, using multiple cups is annoying. This suggestion.... makes the container hold more than 10kg right? Why not ask to have a calibrate option where people can choose the size they want. If they are making a certain recipe a bunch of times and they want the perfect weight, there can be a pop-up so you can choose 3249g instead of putting meat inside and settling for something like 3200g. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Yiraia said:

I normally fill a container with meats of a certain volume to get a specific kg of liquid as well, using multiple cups is annoying. This suggestion.... makes the container hold more than 10kg right? Why not ask to have a calibrate option where people can choose the size they want. If they are making a certain recipe a bunch of times and they want the perfect weight, there can be a pop-up so you can choose 3249g instead of putting meat inside and settling for something like 3200g. 

My original "modest" change was a series of small containers.  The extreme ideal would absolutely by this.  Set it and forget it.

16 minutes ago, Tallios said:

My original "modest" change was a series of small containers.  The extreme ideal would absolutely by this.  Set it and forget it.

Ah understood. That reminds me... there was a somewhat-ish small suggestion i was gonna make.

• Like 1

I suggest a much more simple setup. Right click measuring cup. Window pops up. You type in precise measurement you want. (example: 4.27) You click the set button. Done. No multiple cups, no having to adjust the cup for every measurement, you can rename the cup and have multiple cups if you wish for specific recipes.

• Like 3

We need measuring jugs for more than just cooking.

I hate the idea of measuring cups but if you really want a bunch of different sizes you can do it right now with what we have by making more than one and setting each one to a different volume.

I did the few herbs in a jug when I was making a lot of tea for beverages, but it would be nice if you could actually just input the size you want to set the cup to in addition to a few preset quick options. Same as when you pull from a bin, do you want 1,2,5,10,20,50, or set your own amount.

I have been doing a lot of transmutation fluids and measuring out specific amounts to fill large amphora's or large barrels is a pain in the arse, I would like to see a bigger measuring jug, instead of max being 10kgs on what we have I would like to see it increased to 50kgs or even 100kgs. You get some really oddball amounts of trans fluid when you are calculating it for most efficient use and this is purely based on the QL of the liquid so the amounts are all over the map.

The max 10kg measuring jug is the only container that is set to a even number (metric). All the rest of wurmian containers is like trying to match up imperial gallons to us gallons and litres, it is bloody miserable, small amphora 112kgs, bucket 12kgs, small barrel 45kgs, these liquid volumes are a nightmare when you are working on measuring out 80kgs, 100kgs etc.

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

you can do it right now with what we have by making more than one and setting each one to a different volume.

There it is, the old "you can already do it, but in a needlessly contrived way" argument.

If I may quote Zigozag:

On 1.9.2017 at 8:45 AM, zigozag said:

No amount of hard work and dedication under bad conditions should ever be used as a justification for keeping them as they are.

On a different note, I'd be perfectly happy with setting custom amounts via dialogue. If I may add something further to that, what do you guys think of QL of the jug determining the granularity of the measuring? Whereas 100QL can go down to setting individual grams(I reckon noone uses that anyway and most people would be happy with 5g granularity at most, which should be achievable by decent potters.), while 1QL could only measure whole kilograms? The curve in between these points are obviously matter of discussion and so are the end points, but I think it would do Wurms potters a bit justice to have QL have an actual use on some more of their products.

Edited by Flubb

uh are you even reading, rather than dozens of slots or cups I would like to see where you just set the amount you want, in addition to the standard defaults, how is that keeping something bad, it is making it easier to customize the amount you want without fiddling with fillers

I was facetiously pointing out that part of your rebuttal where you reject the proposal of changing the status quo by saying "but look, it works! Kinda.", because that's the mindset that literally misses the point of QoL suggestions like this one and more or less was your initial reply to this thread. But yes, you did later say favoring another approach wth custom amounts instead, and that's the part I actually agreed with further on.

Edited by Flubb

7 hours ago, Quarry said:

I suggest a much more simple setup. Right click measuring cup. Window pops up. You type in precise measurement you want. (example: 4.27) You click the set button. Done. No multiple cups, no having to adjust the cup for every measurement, you can rename the cup and have multiple cups if you wish for specific recipes.

Amazing idea!!! Somebody give this guy an award!!!

• Like 1