Sign in to follow this  
Hordern

Really loud bird cheeping

Soooo... I apologise if this is common knowledge but I don't believe I've ever seen this mentioned anywhere.

I happened to be looking at some fields (meditating) when I had the really loud bird cheep sound and I noticed that all the fields grew a stage and went untended at that moment. Is this sound file an audio cue to let us know that the fields have 'ticked'? Has anyone noticed this before? Was it coincidence? I find the latter hard to believe because it's such a shrill noise compared to the usual background bird tweeting, so it must mean something.

Well ok, I must admit, I only knew because about two years ago, Gamester4Life mentionned it in one of his Wurm videos.

from comments section:
The loud Bird Chirping in the background is the game letting you know that your crops are Untended and a Rake is being requested to attended to your crops and/or it's time to Harvest them. This is during the daytime. During the nighttime, it seems to be a Cricket Chirping. 
IMO... The Duck Quacking indicates Noon. The Wolf Howling indicates Midnight.  

Either this same video or maybe in the next, Gamester4Life also mentions it. Once you know about it, it is a shock how ANYone could miss it before as IT'S VERY LOUD.  . But I went years and only found out about it from a youtube video. Now whenever I am working on something and hear that noise, I grab my rake and head for the fields.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

The bird chorus heard throughout the video is the Blackcap soundtrack, dominated by Blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla)(yes I am an ornithologist so sue me ;)). This is the soundtrack that is heard in all wooded or grassy areas throughout Wurm. It is heard loud and clear even before Gamester4life plants any crops in the video.

There is however a special soundtrack for farmland in Wurm! This is the Blackbird soundtrack (Turdus merula). This is a very full and loud bird song, but it is not heard in this video. This one is IMO triggered by having a large enough number of farm tiles, similar to how the wind soundtrack is triggered by having a large number of steppe tiles, ducks are heard quacking near large surface of water etc.

It does not get triggered simply because you have tiles that are ripe for tending, for example it has never been triggered when I was farming at my deed, but heard down at my neigbour's deeds as they have much larger farms, and on my former deed where I likewise farmed a huge area.

You could argue that the blackbird soundtrack it is triggered when a certain *number* of farm tiles need tending. That is maybe possible, but I highly doubt that though... I used to have maybe 50 tiles that needed tending on this deed, and this did not trigger it. I do believe it is simply the size of your farm that does it, and this should probably be over 100 at least.

Here is a blackbird singing on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmpEWlmgRxQ. Let me know if you want practical tips on how to distinguish the two Wurm soundtracks when you hear them.

The Gamester4life video has some dubious information: "Deer is the most greedy creature and will strip your farm tiles bare if they are not fenced in".  "Always mix your farm tiles with grass tiles if there are any animals on it". And also, he plants steppe when he tells the audience he will plant grass, and does not notice.

Edited by Cista

I went and checked video 11 from Gamester4life, where he tends some tiles. It is still only the Blackcap soundtrack that is heard (sound is very bad there). But a sharp, wild bird call is heard when a rottened tile disappears in that video (at 3:20), not sure what bird it is really.

This could indeed also be a timer that also signals that new tiles need to be tended. It is distorted in the bad sound of the video but I think I have heard it in game from time to time... also at night. If this is the sound that BrashEndeavour is referring to I'd like to know!

3 hours ago, Cista said:

The bird chorus heard throughout the video is the Blackcap soundtrack, dominated by Blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla)(yes I am an ornithologist so sue me ;)). This is the soundtrack that is heard in all wooded or grassy areas throughout Wurm. It is heard loud and clear even before Gamester4life plants any crops in the video.

There is however a special soundtrack for farmland in Wurm! This is the Blackbird soundtrack (Turdus merula). This is a very full and loud bird song, but it is not heard in this video. This one is IMO triggered by having a large enough number of farm tiles, similar to how the wind soundtrack is triggered by having a large number of steppe tiles, ducks are heard quacking near large surface of water etc.

It does not get triggered simply because you have tiles that are ripe for tending, for example it has never been triggered when I was farming at my deed, but heard down at my neigbour's deeds as they have much larger farms, and on my former deed where I likewise farmed a huge area.

You could argue that the blackbird soundtrack it is triggered when a certain *number* of farm tiles need tending. That is maybe possible, but I highly doubt that though... I used to have maybe 50 tiles that needed tending on this deed, and this did not trigger it. I do believe it is simply the size of your farm that does it, and this should probably be over 100 at least.

Here is a blackbird singing on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmpEWlmgRxQ. Let me know if you want practical tips on how to distinguish the two Wurm soundtracks when you hear them.

I welcome any and all bird knowledge with regards to the Wurm sounds. I don't have any farm tiles, but I've heard chirps interrupt when I successfully cast, or after I pray, I forget which now (priest alt on vacation). 

I don't know the difference between blackcap and blackbird soundtracks. I could probably listen to both all day and still not hear the difference. The blackbird sound you linked sounds like a normal background ambiance and does not sound like what we mean. If the Blackcap is heard throughout the video then that is not it either.  This is not a sound that plays consistent  for periods in the background, or on and off now and again, such as wind on steppes, but a sudden one time short loud maybe 5-second "alert" noise based on a bird noise clip  sound that goes off once then stops, very sudden and very abrupt, and is based on however long the server is set for farming tics. If your server is set to advance farming every five hours, or every 18 hours, that is precisely when it sounds. 

It IS possibly only in WU code and not WO, I do not know as I have not played WO at all in the two years since. Hordern does not mention if it was a WO or WU server he was playing.  It's not a coincidental thing as I have used it for two years now and it is 100 percent accurate. At least in WU. When the sound goes off, my farm tiles ALWAYS immediately all switched at once to "Untended" state. If I am tending crops and hear the alert noise, I can look back and ALL of the tiles I just finished tending for the past hour, are now all back to untended again.

I probably did not link the right episode as I did not want to listed to all 200 of his videos. It was not the bird whistle that happens at 3:20 in episode 11, this is a much louder and instrusive noise bot anything suble like that 3:20 bird call. I have not played on a server that had crops rot away for a few yars so I don;t know anything anymore  about when/how withered crops occur.  I agree there is probably lots of misinformation and myth  in his videos however, since that day two years ago, I have monitored closely that  "alert" noise which is very brief and very loud, and it is 100% tied not to the number of total untended farm tiles or farm  tiles etc, but to the farm tic going off and all my tiles at once become untended again. If I have just finished my farming and it goes off, they all 'flip" at once. 

On the WU server I play, when the sound trigger goes off, several people in global chat all together yell  "Time to Farm Again!" so it is a lot of people all across a server who hear the same sound and all use it as a guide of when crops go through a rotation cycle tic thingee.

Maybe only WU, I have no idea on that. I never noticed iit in the years I played WO, and only started noticing it after it was brought to my attention in late 2015.

• Like 1

The bird chirping sound is the sound fileds make when they grow at daytime (at night it's a weird crickets sound), this is the same on both WU and WO AFAIK.

On WU it can be significantly obnoxious since all the fields on the server grow at the same time.

It should be less noticeable on WO because fields growth is handled by the tile poller so it happens randomly throughout the day. But i guess if there's a lot of fields around there's still a chance for a few of them to grow at almost the same time.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, bdew said:

The bird chirping sound is the sound fileds make when they grow at daytime (at night it's a weird crickets sound), this is the same on both WU and WO AFAIK.

On WU it can be significantly obnoxious since all the fields on the server grow at the same time.

It should be less noticeable on WO because fields growth is handled by the tile poller so it happens randomly throughout the day. But i guess if there's a lot of fields around there's still a chance for a few of them to grow at almost the same time.

well that seems to explain it.

Since Hordern says "all the fields grew a stage and went untended at that moment" he was obviously commenting on a WU server.

19 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

he was obviously commenting on a WU server

Or someone toggled on the split poller on a WO server :P

Added: i'm not sure from what GM level you get access to feature management, but it's called "Crop tile poller split" in that window.

Edited by bdew

I've never put these two together. Lol, always just thought it was random noises. Thanks for teaching me something new!

3 hours ago, bdew said:

"as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced."

That's how you know you are hearing  the WU version :)  

(Actually I have come to appreciate it the same way some appreciate their alarm clock in the morning, abrupt and obnoxious but kicks them into action.

• Like 1

Its a WU server mod called Harvesthelper, and it chirps everytime crops are ready to harvest. Its not a WO thing. Was the first thing I noticed when playing WU, since I spend a lot of time on a farm, and never heard it before. Many WU servers use it.

You can see it in the spoiler in the mods list on this server:

Edited by Angelklaine
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Its a WU server mod called Harvesthelper

Awesome, that clears it up then, thanks!. I am happy it is not in WO.

Combining what you and Brash_Endeavours have said, the particular HarvestHelper sound is not heard in any of the two vidoes discussed above, although a very distinct sound is heard when that rotten field dies in the second video. I wonder if the same mod has different sounds for different events then.

Edited by Cista

15 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Its a WU server mod called Harvesthelper, and it chirps everytime crops are ready to harvest. Its not a WO thing. Was the first thing I noticed when playing WU, since I spend a lot of time on a farm, and never heard it before. Many WU servers use it.

You can see it in the spoiler in the mods list on this server:

This is incorrect, it's part of vanilla wurm, both Online and Unlimited.

The sound is played from either CropTilePoller.checkForFarmGrowth (this is what WU uses by default) or from TilePoller.checkForFarmGrowth (this is what WO uses, probably).

The only difference between the 2 is that CropTilePoller makes all the fields on the server grow at the same time, while TilePoller goes through all the tiles in the server over some period of time (~1 rl day) and does them 1 at a time.

HarvestHelper mod is completely unrelated to anything here, what it does is show the start of harvest seasons when you log in and/or on command.

5 hours ago, Cista said:

I am happy it is not in WO.

Then you'll probably be sad to know that it is :P

Just less noticeable since it's only 1 tile at a time.

Strange, because I have never heard it before, and I have definetely been on when crops.grow.

11 hours ago, bdew said:

Just less noticeable since it's only 1 tile at a time.

Wait, how would that be less noticeable, if we are talking about a bird sounding off similar to an alarm going off? If the game does this sound for every single tile, wouldn't that be *more* noticeable?

Edited by Cista

7 hours ago, Cista said:

Wait, how would that be less noticeable, if we are talking about a bird sounding off similar to an alarm going off? If the game does this sound for every single tile, wouldn't that be *more* noticeable?

This is my thought exactly.

@RetrogradeCan someone confirm if this is a feature available in WO. I am almost sure its just a mod on WU, using already existing WO sound files.

8 hours ago, Cista said:

The sound for one tile is pretty tame and just sounds as part of the ambiance. What makes it sound like a loud alarm is when it's played many times from every tile around you at the same moment.

37 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

I am almost sure its just a mod on WU, using already existing WO sound files.

WNA5Q4X.png

Edited by bdew

It was indeed a WU server but I wasn't sure if it was something that worked for both. I wasn't sure if WO fields are individual, or if there are regular ticks throughout the day at which point a tended field has a chance to become untended, in which case chirps in WO could also alert people to the potential for farming though not a guarantee. If the latter this could easily have been missed in WO due to the fact that it would be more common and thus easier to ignore, and not linked to whole sets of fields becoming untended at once. I don't even know if it ever appears in WO because I play both and I can't remember if I ever heard the noise pre-WU

I am still waiting to hear anyone confirm that they hear this / any sound in Wurm Online (not WU) that tells them one / some of their crop tiles need tending.

bdew says that oh yea they do so all the time, but has refrained from saying that he hears it himself.

Edited by Cista

On 11.9.2017 at 5:00 AM, Brash_Endeavors said:

Well ok, I must admit, I only knew because about two years ago, Gamester4Life mentionned it in one of his Wurm videos.

from comments section:
The loud Bird Chirping in the background is the game letting you know that your crops are Untended and a Rake is being requested to attended to your crops and/or it's time to Harvest them. This is during the daytime. During the nighttime, it seems to be a Cricket Chirping. 
IMO... The Duck Quacking indicates Noon. The Wolf Howling indicates Midnight.  

Either this same video or maybe in the next, Gamester4Life also mentions it. Once you know about it, it is a shock how ANYone could miss it before as IT'S VERY LOUD.  . But I went years and only found out about it from a youtube video. Now whenever I am working on something and hear that noise, I grab my rake and head for the fields.

Indeed I have seen some code which is triggering such sounds on farm tiles growth or grass tile growth and so on. Such growing events are definitly used to trigger sounds. And Bdew already mentioned a few points.

Edited by Sklo:D

This is very cool.  Never knew about it.  Wish I could hear it.  Wish I could listen to any of Wurm's ambient sounds because they're so cool. :(   Unfortunately, they won't give the combat sounds a separate volume control from the ambient sounds, so when I turn up the sound enough to hear the ambient sounds, the minute I get into combat my ears get blasted, especially with the creature noise, and I have to quickly turn it back down.  Guess I can try turning it up for a while when I'm somewhere not likely to get into combat and listen for the birds.

9 hours ago, Cista said:

I am still waiting to hear anyone confirm that they hear this / any sound in Wurm Online (not WU) that tells them one / some of their crop tiles need tending.

bdew says that oh yea they do so all the time, but has refrained from saying that he hears it himself.

I can confirm that the bird of nightmares tells me that my farms need tending. I hate it because it means my farms need tending. On WO

Its about 3 seconds, high pitched, two tone chirping. 5 chirps if I'm not mistaken.

• Like 1