Sign in to follow this  
Fraeya

client whitescreen crash

having 3 clients loaded with non default settings will crash the game within 5 minutes, each client uses around 4.3gb ram, might make it easier to test any settings changes

Tested using launch params -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:-UseAdaptiveSizePolicy no change, still crashes

Tested default settings with Fxaa turned on and didn't crash for me ( also had some console written keybinds to make gameplay bearable but none changed through the game settings

Don't use any custom launch GC params like that, it'll just most likely make it worse.

On 9/20/2017 at 9:14 PM, Fraeya said:

having 3 clients loaded with non default settings will crash the game within 5 minutes, each client uses around 4.3gb ram, might make it easier to test any settings changes

Do use the low memory client for alts, but still, that's quite a lot of memory even for the regular one. Can you PM me location of where you are crashing that often so I can see if client does anything unusual there?

Got some things that will potentially help with this the next update, but it's not that easy to troubleshoot things like this without a reproduction, so if you find something that will 100% cause a crash and write it up, it'd be helpful.

Does it still crash with default settings but set in windowed mode? Been a few related cases to that setting.

Very unlikely that it's related to keybind file being any different than the default one, must be something else that also differs between the times you crash and the ones you don't.

It doesn't seem to be crashing at all in default settings, in any screen format. There do seem to be some weird memory usages, some clients loading in the exact same area with the same settings will be running double the memory size.

There are still a lot of issues with the keybindings file and way that works however, when changing keybinds in the options it often returns a lot of errors about saving over existing keybinds, lots of doubled entries in the keybindings file also. Perhaps that needs a clean-up with the way that operates.

I'll try and spend some time loading up a few clients with different settings each time and see how that goes. See if I can force a crash

On 9/23/2017 at 6:29 PM, Fraeya said:

lots of doubled entries in the keybindings file also.  

When you say "lots" is it like 5-10 or more like hundreds? there was a bug, supposedly fixed, that caused keybindings.txt to bloat to a huge size (instead of like 5k, it was closer to 8-12MB). It's easiest to fix by renaming keybings.txt (I usually suggest BROKEkeybindings.txt) and let the game generate a fresh clean new one, with no clients currently active, which fixes it but then you lose all of your custom keybindings and have to redo them again. If the keybindings.txt file is under 6kb or so, then do not worry, only if it seems several megabytes large.

that however should not be related to game clients each using several gigabytes of memory, which sounds like the main cause of crashes.

the thread here also has whitescreen crashes, only with the new client, and by coincidence perhaps also an RX480 radeon graphics card, so maybe see if anything in that thread gives any ideas.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

It'd really help if you answered all of the questions we ask as they're all important in troubleshooting this.

On 9/20/2017 at 0:14 PM, Fraeya said:

I have been following this thread out of curiosity and further my troubleshooting knowledge so i have a few questions if you don't mind.

I find it odd you are getting that high in memory use - i can hardly get mine to go over 2gb each, are you in highly populated areas or have tons of items laying about, any graphic setting set to extreme?

Is your keybind file issue resolved yet?  I see Brash asked you about that a few posts up with no reply from you.

This one might be more for the devs - i was comparing his console log to a few of mine and see that his Vertex/index buffer memory is showing more than 6 times my highest amount (3787MiB vs 600Mib) - which setting controls that value and could that account for excessive memory use?

I had a lot of difficulty with my Radeon R7 370 after upgrading to Windows 10 and Wurm did trigger a lot of the issues, and other games only once in a while.  Looking around the internet there are a lot of people unhappy with AMD Drivers.  I found a combination of driver version, java version and power/clock settings on my gpu that finally worked stable all the time and i've been hesitant to update the drivers (22.19.171.1 Radeon Software 17.6.1) or java 64 bit (Version 8 update 77 1.8.0_77-b03) for not wanting to go through it all over again.  Same hardware worked fine on windows 7 with no tinkering.  It was so bad at one point i nearly reverted to 7.

I use the new main client running up to four accounts in various resolutions and settings in a mix of windowed and windowed full screen modes at the same time on two screens without issue. (other than the same glitches a lot of other people had in early days such as water reflections and snow not rendering at distance on trees and such).

I cleaned up my keybindings file and after generating a new default one it seems to be in a much cleaner state than before (updated this last thurs perhaps?) Still very irritating to get error messages when trying to add a new keybind in the settings with a key that is already bound, can't you just overwrite it?

Most of my current wurm time is spent in my village which you could say is a high item density area yes. Several villagers and it's been around for over 3 years so a fair amount of decoration/animals.

I'm also considering reverting back to Win7 if this continues as essentially I cannot play any other games while wurm is open as it crashes those too when wurm dies. (No other games crash when playing without wurm, even several games running at the same time)

The memory usage to me doesn't seem to be a huge issue I have more than enough even with the clients using 4gb each unless that is too much for the game to handle.

Keybind messages are not error messages and it's nothing you should be concerned about, they're just an information on what happens internally.

The file itself however, after closing the game, should not have any duplicates - if it does, please do figure out what caused it and report it separately.

Ram usage of 4GB is huge and that's why I asked you about what's the exact location you get it on so I could investigate the area.

It doesn't matter if you have enough memory, this just might be an indication that something related is in fact going wrong.

Just crashed again, was in a different game on my main screen and wurm was on my other screen. Game crashed as soon as I clicked wurm to set it as the focus window.

High end settings, fullscreen windowed mode

Edited by Fraeya

new update, as suspected while playing other game wurm crashed and caused the other game to crash, thankfully the other game returned a crash report which I forgot to save but summarised said that directx crashed due to the hardware being removed.

So as I strongly suspected it seems to be to do with the rx480 driver and dx12 on win 10 having some problems with wurm, likely openGL

uAyNzzy.png

that's my mem usage post 3 client crash all exact same settings

still having pretty much the same issues here

it does seem I can have multiple clients running as long as they are not anywhere near my main deed

Location doesn't seem to matter to me, just crashed again with 2 clients running about 300 tiles from any existing deed working on archaeology

What is the status of this?  I'm getting a client lock-up where the client turns fairly white.  CPU usage is much higher than normal for the java client in task manager after the lockup.  Seems to run fine in a smaller window size, but when I make a larger window, it locks up faster.  I've not done a great deal of troubleshooting yet and am not going to if someone else has resolved it.

My own continued testing:

Full Screen seems to work pretty well.  If using windowed clients, the smaller windows tend to stay functional longer than large windows.  Oddly, very high graphics settings seem more stable than lower graphics settings. What I'm finding troubling is the CPU and GPU creep.  I can be standing in one spot for an hour, not looking around, just imping.  My CPU and GPU just continue to rise.  Why would it do that?  I'll see them both double over an hour or so.  RAM seems to hold fairly stable, unless I travel around a lot.

Another odd thing was sailing in Xan.  I had 8 clients in small windows on my knarr.  The same 3 characters were always the ones that would lock up.  It was happening to them too reliably to just be a coincidence.

Another fairly predictable thing is when I pull up a non Wurm window, like my browser, it doesn't take long before the main client window (the one in front of the others) freezes.  I just reproduced the issue twice while typing this paragraph.

I have this same problem, its only occurs when moving around. I can sit and craft for a whole day and its fine. when running around and the client is either loading new data or during some garbage clean up is when the lockup occurs. I get white faded screen (not responding). I took a memory dump using task manager not sure if that helps, I have 64gb of ram so its not the page file issue, my client often uses 4gb+

One of my allies suggested I uninstall Java and clear the Java cache, then do a fresh install.  Did it and no change.  Also in further testing, I decided to crank up everything to max on my settings, actually thinking it would be a great way to force the failures to happen faster.  It actually did the opposite.  Everything at max gives me a more stable client - but it will still whitescreen eventually.

Also tried the low mem client.  So far I love it!  Uses about half the CPU and GPU processing power and about 30% less RAM.  Really good for running several clients at once at max graphics.

Another thing my ally suggested was to run perfmon for page faults and see what happend when the client crashes - faults went from the 1-200/s range to over 10,000/s when it crashed.  Hopefully devs can use some of this info to help diagnose the issue? 

Edited by Wurmhole

after about 30 lockups on my clients in the last 3 hours, I'm done.  Going to find another game to play.  Someone PM me if this ever gets solved?  I've got 5 accounts I want to resub and get back to some projects.  I do pretty well with just 1 client, but the game isn't nearly as fun for me that way.  If we can't figure this out soon, I'll probably just sell off everything and stick to WU.  It's odd, but I haven't had problems in WU like this.  Maybe the new textures Fd it up?