Sign in to follow this  
Fairyshine

Fuel lanterns with woodscrap

I am often getting caught without tar or oil when my lantern dies.  Please allow us to fuel our lanterns with a woodscrap similar to beesmokers, since it is something we can get in the forests in an emergency.   

• Like 3

:)

When was last time you seen a woodscrap on ground?

But on second thought, I havnt had my lantern on ground for many many years ( it maybe changed size ) 

• Like 2

How about a beesmoker?  And woodscraps fit very well into those...

Edit:  Gems weigh .5 kg in wurm too ...and I fit quite a few of those in a pottery bowl!

Yet pelts can't roll up to fit into a backpack.

It is is wogic to me.

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 5

ohh sry I dont have a beesmoker so didnt think of those 

but wurm logic hit us all sooo very often :)

and yah it can be a pain be far out and no tar or oil in sight so cutting a tree down can be big help 

you get light and can make a fire  so let them (devs) change it, let us get easy light :)

• Like 1

instead of

A Wood scrap

(is a solid and looks like kindling)

wood scraps which in all fairness is a bit silly....  

Why not

A Animal fat 

(which is a thick melt-able material that has been used as a fuel source.)

animal fat?  

Which is obtainable from most animal mobs.

Edited by Tallios
  • Like 9

+1 to the shine, and well to the idea of using wood scraps as fuel yet have it have relativel fast snuff out rate, so it doesn't render tar, oils useless, make them a quick fix in hurry that doesn't last long.  I miss your posts of all the sparklies Fairyshine..it always has me laugh..and i went by your place the other day and had huge giggle, didn't know it was your for sure til after but as soon as i approached i was like this much be fairyshine's.

• Like 2

+1 to the animal fat and wood scraps, have the best of both worlds \o/ Maybe make it so that the animal fat produces light longer than a wood scrap

On 9/9/2017 at 12:38 AM, Bloodscythe said:

+1 to the shine, and well to the idea of using wood scraps as fuel yet have it have relativel fast snuff out rate, so it doesn't render tar, oils useless, make them a quick fix in hurry that doesn't last long.  I miss your posts of all the sparklies Fairyshine..it always has me laugh..and i went by your place the other day and had huge giggle, didn't know it was your for sure til after but as soon as i approached i was like this much be fairyshine's.

If you think that much from what you see over the fences, then start asking for sunglasses in this game for when you enter her castle.

• Like 2

My first -1 on these forums.

Tone is hard to convey in text, and so I clarify on the front end that this is a sincere question with no disrespect intended, but have you used a lantern before?  Or tried to light piece of wood scrap on fire? 

Scraps of wood do not burn at all unless you pile them together to make a fire, and you can't get a scrap to burn on its own without exposing it to significant heat for a prolonged period of time, and then the flame goes out shortly once removed from the fire.  Sawdust won't even burn on its own unless some sort of fuel oil or fat/wax is melted down and mixed in with it to create a wax/sawdust log of sorts.

Animal fat has potential as a fuel source for a lantern, but I can't picture sticking a scrap piece of wood in a metal lantern designed for oil or tar.

And while we are at it, lantern creation should require a cotton wick in creation if you want use animal fat as fuel and keep it realistic.  I mention that as a way to also hint at why woodscraps burning in a lantern does not make sense. Lanterns using liquid oil (liquid fat) require a fuel source that can be wicked up and burned at the tip of the cotton wick.  Candles made from solid animal fat and placed in a lantern work the same way- they need a wick.  I suppose a lump of tar could burn for a while on its own, or if put on a piece of wood wrapped with cloth to make a torch, but using woodscrap as lantern fuel is not a good idea in my opinion.

Humbly submitted...

~TH~

• Like 2

I dropped my lantern 5 years ago and have been wandering in the darkness ever since.

• Like 1

3af4fe38106f5bfee284aac54040631f.png 

Don't worry, I dropped my marbles and they are still lost too!

I also think there are other ways these days to carry light with you so probably not as relevant these days, but in terms of the game there are lots of things which are not realistic but makes it fun and enjoyable.   I guess getting the balance between realism and escape from realism, is tricky.

Edited by Fairyshine

I always carry a little bit of tar in my toolbox/handbag; you never know when you might come unstuck without it. :) 

my lantern is on table at home ,i like the fat idea .but isnt tar everywere as well