Sign in to follow this  
Arkonick

Warning I will take legal action to anyone breaching the Disclaimer on Reqieum of Wurm

First off, there are billions of images on the internet and billions of them are owned by companies like Getty Images.  Every time you use one of those images, you are potentially being charged for it, which you won't know until someone scans the internet to see that you have in fact used one without permission.  Getty Images makes a fortune from situations like this.  If any of those images are theirs, they could have legal rights to charge you for every one of your users that have seen them displayed in your new textures.  Food for thought.

Many of us grab random images and post them for all kinds of reasons.  Many of us probably owe someone money for that use.

Remember the good old happy birthday song?  Someone owned it.  For a long time, you technically were supposed to pay royalties for every use, but it is now public domain if I recall.

Anyway, hopefully you can all resolve this peacefully and not need to go hash it out on Chaos.

Fun fact, you can make the serverpacks mod download packs from other servers, saving you both bandwidth and legal trouble (since you don't technically distribute anything except the hash, which is not copyrightable) :D

• Like 2

Using someone else's work without permission isn't nice, but neither is hot-air threats of legal action.  There are ways of copyrighting derivitive work, but throwing your toys on a public forum isn't one of them.  Given your attitude, I'm going to guess you're USA-based (and isn't that a fun reputation to have), so which jursidiction will your theoretical-sueball be in?  Yours?  CC's?  J. Random User's unknown one?

Honestly, you can call someone out for grabbing stuff, but other than that, your best bet is just to move on; anything else just makes you look petulent at best.

• Like 1

Here is some thought from me that have been working here and there internationally on artworks and game development.

1. Any resources that you get from 'royalty free', 'creative commons', and such are still NOT yours. If a game developer uses a model that is given by an author on the internet, it doesn't transfer the ownership to that developer, the developer can't claim a ###### if someone else decides to take the model from the developer's game for their own. Since it is still not their. What the developer can sue is if someone took the whole game, which has a lot of 'hopefully' original contents beside the royalty free resources. If a game is just a jumble of free tutorial and free textures, even if they 'work' day and night, sweat and blood for months to put them all together,  they still can't win any legal battle. Unless in some part of the world that ready to neglect that those works that aren't their. Ahh, money rules.

2. Mods and game servers don't have any power. I can create superb original texture pack for minecraft but I can't ever sue someone that use it for another server. Because the game is a property of minecraft. You are creating free contents for the game you are modding unless it is stated otherwise. 

Your lamenting of 'oh lo... world don't respect my right' is a big BS as you do not even appreciate the creators of these royalty free contents and instead feel that doing a few cut and edit make you own the work. 

Either stop it or please, do waste your money on legal action. Especially to server owners on some obscure countries. I am fascinated of one that can't hire artist to do original content for commercial purpose is able to hire a lawyer.

Edited by rosedragon
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Governor said:

Not everything included was copyrighted. Would you prefer a list that tells you what ones are? The point is, is that you should ask for things and don't steal when it is not given. When things ARE original, don't claim as your own and don't fight a copyright notice. There is no argument. Give credit when due and don't steal.

9 hours ago, Arkonick said:

Yes I can Copyright them. CC gave me rights to mod there content and when I change said content textures it becomes my design even tho some of there's remain the new image becomes mine. There fore you need my permission to use the textures or models etc... even down to code I add.

Not true, The copyright owner is still the original creator of these pictures. You have no legal backing on those wagons.

Edited by Theodein
  • Like 1

Since you OP have not gone through the process of obtaining a "Copyright" on the various images that you have copied from various sources, you have no basis upon which to take "legal action". A foolish position to take in your OP with no substance upon which to stand. Those "legal" types are pretty fussy about such things.

Apparently any server owner can code various gaudy images onto their (not there) objects within the game. There (not their) are just fewer of them who wish to do this otherwise the various severs would be full of this stuff. Thankfully they are not so this will afford you about all the protection you can get.

Once you are there you are not their; therefore, over there is where their items are, unless of course yours, which are theirs, are there too. So yeah, I get your point, although pointless.

=Ayes=

13 minutes ago, Ayes said:

Since you OP have not gone through the process of obtaining a "Copyright" on the various images that you have copied from various sources, you have no basis upon which to take "legal action". A foolish position to take in your OP with no substance upon which to stand. Those "legal" types are pretty fussy about such things.

Apparently any server owner can code various gaudy images onto their (not there) objects within the game. There (not their) are just fewer of them who wish to do this otherwise the various severs would be full of this stuff. Thankfully they are not so this will afford you about all the protection you can get.

Once you are there you are not their; therefore, over there is where their items are, unless of course yours, which are theirs, are there too. So yeah, I get your point, although pointless.

=Ayes=

Copyright protection is automatic under international law. You don't need to "obtain" anything

Edited by Governor
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Governor said:

Copyright protection is automatic under international law. You don't need to "obtain" anything

Sort of but it does not serve any legal action. See below for US. There is also no "international law" that governs this Governor, as it is all determined by the individual country wherein legal action would be taken. Remember the OP is all about this "taking legal action" nonsense which turns the whole direction of the responses.

Why should I register my work if copyright protection is automatic?

Registration is recommended for a number of reasons. Many choose to register their works because they wish to have the facts of their copyright on the public record and have a certificate of registration. Registered works may be eligible for statutory damages and attorney's fees in successful litigation. Finally, if registration occurs within five years of publication, it is considered prima facie evidence in a court of law. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration” and Circular 38b, Highlights of Copyright Amendments Contained in the Uruguay Round Agreements Act (URAA), on non-U.S. works.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Arkonick said:

A lot of game companies use royalty free art work online to skin there models and claim them as there's and copyright them at the same time.

Man you better be joking...

There are different licenses for a lot things on the internet, like images, code and so on. You say you have modified the textures you downloaded, but there are licenses for free textures which commit you to make the new textures which you have created from the original ones free to use too. Do you even know under which license your textures are, are they even free to use or did you steal them? You just copied some images from the internet, maybe a lawyer will send you a nice letter soon and not the other way round.

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Governor said:

https://www.copyrightwitness.com/protect/

Registering it only helps prove, it is not required. That's not The argument though. The OP stated he will take action, not IS taking action. 

So you're just confirming this thread is a bunch of hot air?

If you do intend to take action, I highly suggest you take your original content to the local registrar. It will help you prove ownership when you do. No lawyer will take the case unless the offending country is part of the berne treaty, there is no such thing as an international copyright law. Some countries will simply not have any protection even on your copyrighted images. And lawsuits will take place in the accused country, so you will have to abide by their law.

Keep in mind that this will only work for content that you made. Royalty free images from others, even when under a creative commons license, will not work for copyright purposes. You will have to seperate the images that you said you made from scratch and use those only, not the pictures we have seen in the threads that are just a rescaled and cut picture from a wallpaper website. Just be aware that those images may very well be under a copyright themselves and you may find more trouble than you intend. Even if a wallpaper website, or pinterest, or whatsoever says that you may use the image, doesnt mean they actually own the image. The US copyright website provides a database of registered works so you may be able to verify if any of the images used were registered there for copyrights. Unless you found the original creator and they placed it under a creative commons license you can not be sure very easily wether an image is actually royalty free or not.

• Like 2

Arkonick although i appreciate your spirit to want to preserve work you think is yours from unliscenced use by others, I believe you've made wrong assumptions in what you own, about the work you borrowed and modified, and what copyright means almost in some arm chair assessment.  I think  you will find, aside from a lawyer that is eager to take your coin, that the law will not be on your side here simply because you misunderstand it.  I've had a player try to do this in wurm about wurm items that he altered/photoshopped then tried to claim copyright and lawsuit.  It falls flat simply because you cannot own images/textured made in wurm, nor is use of those images even after alteration constitute copyrighted ownership on your part.  Goodluck with your venture yet you may find more fruit in simply asking people that use your work to credit you and enjoy seeing your work used about as the highest form of flattery.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Governor said:

I am sorry to say that while in theory, this copyright protection is awesome, in practice it is a terrible thing. It is more like a social rule, where people try to abide but if they don't do... they don't lose much than reputation. When I was working as an indie flash game developer, we devs are trying so hard to fight our 'international copyright' to stop some assets thefts and even worse; game thefts from many countries. I do also saw many copyright dramas on art sites like Deviant Art and here are the pitiful cases:

1. If you got your creation stolen and displayed on some website like say; youtube, newgrounds, deviantart, itunes, to googleplay, you can use this copyright to asks the website to take them down. More than often, they won't take the money the thief has gotten and give it back to you, even if they are managed to freeze some of the funds.

2. If you were cooperating with some people, then that people decide to steal your game and make a clone of it before it even releases, no one can help you unless you have a signed agreement that to details state all the deals (Non Disclosure Agreement). And even that... look at clause 3 and 4.

Sample: http://www.lostgarden.com/2012/01/sometimes-you-need-to-stand-up-for.html

3. if you are going to bring legal action, you and the thief should be in the same country, or at least, a group of countries that have common interests (eg: America and Europe. South East Asia cluster). Have fun to sue people oversea, especially China, because their copyright rules don't cover foreigners.

Sample: http://www.bruceongames.com/2009/07/15/more-about-evony/

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-disney-china-copyright/cars-vs-autobots-disney-sues-china-firms-in-copyright-dispute-idUSKCN0Z80JG

4. Even if you really the owner of the creation 10000% and have all the proof of the copyright thievery, you can't do much without money. There is a case of an artist that do fun jewelries they sell on etsy, then copied by popular brand Zara. This happens too many times with many brands.

Sample: http://www.cluttermagazine.com/news/2016/08/good-artists-copy-great-brands-steal

i belive Arkonick must be in prison for taking off google images! 

40 minutes ago, Bloodscythe said:

Goodluck with your venture yet you may find more fruit in simply asking people that use your work to credit you and enjoy seeing your work used about as the highest form of flattery.

To be honest, that's what started all of this. Someone from World of Wonders asked me if they could use our stuff. I replied that I did not have permission to let him use that stuff (because I personally didn't make them, two others from my server did), yet he took them anyway. This is very upsetting that someone could do that and not even give credit to the server or original creators.

I believe that's why things got heated and blown out of proportion. I personally know that hours, days, weeks, even months of time was spent making original content for our server and for it all to be taken without being given credit, is, well, sh**ty. Please understand that.

Oh and for everyone commenting about Arkonick stealing off of Google Images, you conveniently skipped over the part where not all pictures were taken in that manner. There's actual original content in the graphics pack BESIDES the Google Images. Nobody is trying to copyright pictures that came from a Google search. That would be idiotic.

I really hope this calms things down...

What a hot thread, huh? ?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PinkishFloyd said:

To be honest, that's what started all of this. Someone from World of Wonders asked me if they could use our stuff. I replied that I did not have permission to let him use that stuff (because I personally didn't make them, two others from my server did), yet he took them anyway. This is very upsetting that someone could do that and not even give credit to the server or original creators.

I believe that's why things got heated and blown out of proportion. I personally know that hours, days, weeks, even months of time was spent making original content for our server and for it all to be taken without being given credit, is, well, sh**ty. Please understand that.

Oh and for everyone commenting about Arkonick stealing off of Google Images, you conveniently skipped over the part where not all pictures were taken in that manner. There's actual original content in the graphics pack BESIDES the Google Images. Nobody is trying to copyright pictures that came from a Google search. That would be idiotic.

I really hope this calms things down...

What a hot thread, huh? ?

Agreed. If people just take what other made or even edited, then what point would it be to even waste time making content to make your server stand out when everyone just steals it and claims it as their own. I could go to every server, download whatever they made,  and claim it as mine without worry. Just be kind to each other and ask for content that you don't have. If denied, then deal with it.

Edited by Governor
  • Like 2

First off if the templates I provided to my community to look at and get a feel for changing wagons textures inadvertently had your "work" my apologies. The link has been removed. I have given them a step by step on how to convert there own DDS files and easily photoshop there own wagons however they like. The post you looked at clearly said here is some templates go make your own and if the community likes them we can implement. I wanted original content not google images draped across my wagons and ships. I did ask permission to use your content and since it was not given I did not or will not ever use it. I liked your drapes, furniture, and rugs. Not sure what you are trying to get out of the accusation that we used your content incorrectly. We never claimed the wagons were created by us or would be used on the server at all. If anything looking at the whole content of everything you upload to your "copy-written" graphic packs, you have multiple pieces of free to use works trimmed and pasted, maybe some original work, not sure, since i stopped counting after finding at least 10 there were copy-written by original artists and shared to the world, and then the big one maybe CC should take a look at Wurm graphics you didn't modify at all.. Your "copy-written" graphic pack has Code Club graphics yet your disclaimer says  All Graphics Pack materials, including, without limitation, the logos, design, text, graphics, other files and the selection and arrangement are Copyright © 2017 Requiem of Wurm or copyrighted as otherwise noted. So how does that work? CC give you permissions to make there work part of your "copy-written" graphics pack?

Lastly if my link had some of your textures it was not intentional it was a reference for non-tech savy people who might like to edit images. This could have easily been resolved by PMing me on forums here, my website, or my server and I would gladly removed said link and modified to only provide CC based templates. Not sure if you are trying to bring attention to your models or what but they are not being used by me or will they ever. Good luck

• Like 1

On 9/6/2017 at 11:14 PM, Arkonick said:

Lame and rude and to sorry to make there own alterations. You think I was born with the ability to do the things I do to your surprise I wasn't. I had to learn and it's just rude to take with out permission. But I guess this world now has no morals any more.

LOL you think what you did was original and worthy of merit? You took already available images and retextured them onto already existing models, neither asset did you create nor claim. Anyone with the knowledge of Photoshop can do what you did in one evening. 

Did you read the part where I said you took already available assets? Yeah. You did nothing but place images from Google overtop an existing texture base for a model. 

Honestly I'm thinking about taking the exact images you used, retexturing them like you did, and package it all up for everyone to use without discrimination or the worry of being the target of some fear mongering forum user that thinks what he made was the next Mona Lisa.

• Like 2

On 08/09/2017 at 5:48 AM, Huntar said:

Honestly I'm thinking about taking the exact images you used, retexturing them like you did, and package it all up for everyone to use without discrimination or the worry of being the target of some fear mongering forum user that thinks what he made was the next Mona Lisa.

@Huntarif you do, you will have my utmost respect, i "might" even be willing to give you a "SMALL" monetary gift via paypal just to say thankyou, after reading all this and wondering why this thread hasnt been locked. arkonick i asked you nicely, and a simple yes or no would have sufficed, but no what did you do, you wrote a book, and as usual #aintgotnotimeforthat. oh and i forgot to add, i havent touched wurm since you started this spoilt child spat, because you have taken away my joy from this once wonderful game

admins i think this discussion has taken it's course please shut it down.

Edited by shakys
Moderation Edit.

12 hours ago, Huntar said:

+1 :D