Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Darq Passage Canal remodel

Just a quick update for those that are used to traveling through the canal.  This is the canal that starts at my recently restored deed of Darq Shadow, at J17/J18 on the ingame map.  I am working on the topside of the deed first, then will be heading underground to do some canal clean up later.  Possibly remove some more veins, but mainly hoping to smooth out the floor, so carts and boats to get stuck, plus smoothing out the walls, where I took out notches for detours around veins (back when knarrs needed 2 tiles width to sail).

I noticed someone has been doing a great job with the lake shore road, continuing east from Rome, towards the canal.  That road stops at my huge clay patch.  I'll be putting in a bridge bypass to clear the clay, to make foot traffic a bit quicker and keeping up with the theme of the new wider road.  Thank you for whomever has done all that lovely work!  Izzy maybe?  So in the not too distant future, I'll update this post with another new pic to show the newer look with bridges installed.

Next to the canal, I'll build a gate house to my deed, which will include a number of public beds.  On the top of my deed's hillside are all my old pens, from when I had a much larger footprint.  Those pens are all enchanted and open for public use.  I may add in some other amenities for travelers over time, if I feel energetic ;)

Here is the new entrance look as of today:

XgmlXkF.jpg

• Like 2

I think it's either Izzy or Trooperau or both who have been working on widening the lakeside road in that area. I also remodeled some of the shore around the entrance to the canal.

I've also been flattening out tiles inside the tunnel, whenever my boat gets stuck on an irregularity. I thought I'd got them all, but I may have missed some.

If there's any way to make this canal passable by the larger ships, I'll gladly help out. I'm just across the bay in Pumpkin Fields so it's just a few minutes away.

• Like 1

If anyone's interested, the veins that need removing from this canal are iron, copper and zinc. I haven't checked the quality of them, but there are so many of them there's bound to be something to meet your QL needs.

• Like 1

Its mostly me working on the road there, i've halted at the clay while I gather what i need to remove it and come up with a solution for the front of the canal thats agreeable for all those in the area.

This is the last tally I had on the veins in the canal, I'm unsure if anyone else has been removing them.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Trooper

wow, that is fantastic!  So many are gone now. 

Rather than trying to remove all the clay, I'll just install bridges to get past clay and around the front of the canal, since I've redeeded the east end of the canal again.  I'll probably start on it over the next week.  The road work you are doing looks fantastic!

I'll try to come up and help, I've got dirt stored and already have some trans fluids for killing clay, so at the very least I can 'square up' any areas at the start/ends of the bridges.

awesome. The clay won't be a problem. I'll just start the bridge at the last square part of the highway, by your sign.  Touch down past all the clay, turn N, then a second bridge to clear the front of the canal.  

Edit:  Pick of the plan.  I've already dropped dirt to create the West start of the bridge and partially created the platform for the East end of the bridge.  Hoping it can be a flat here.  If not, I'll level it up a little higher to get it working.  I'm in love with Sandstone, so going to do sandstone bridges. Can pave the rough cobble down the middle if you like to match the highway.  All I need now is a little more dirt for the east end 3x3 platform.  I have all the sandstone bricks made.  Need to whip out a few other bridge parts, but can probably be done within a week.

IWxpYue.jpg

Edited by Wurmhole
  • Like 1

Some progress.  Need a bunch more sandstone and mortar, but this bridge should be done in a week or two.

pXEyy25.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

Some progress.  Need a bunch more sandstone and mortar, but this bridge should be done in a week or two.

pXEyy25.jpg

Looking good. +1 for flat bridges! :D

I've got a lot of sandstone you can have if you want, let me know. :)

Edited by Xallo
  • Like 2

There's a couple sandstone veins under Pumpkin Fields could use mining out if you're looking for exposed local veins, but it's pretty plentiful in this area.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2017 at 7:24 PM, Wurmhole said:

Next to the canal, I'll build a gate house to my deed, which will include a number of public beds. 

I seen the new canal entrance when I sailed through Darq Canal. Nice work to the builders there. ^_^

• Like 1

Thank you! Put on a short pause for a few more days for some RL stuff, but first bridge (flat) is 2 of 3 lanes complete, so it is walkable now.  Just be careful on carts, because you can get a little stuck if you accidentally go off the edge of unfinished parts.  Need to make the beds in the rest stop.

I thought this thread might be the best way to get the word out about my work to catseye the highways in this neighborhood.

I've planted about 600 eyes leading from Pumpkin Fields to almost the beginning of the clay bypass bridge. The protected route is in blue in the image below.

I assume the guys from Rome will want to connect to this highway from the south and perhaps the guys from Darq can join their deed to the north once the bridge is complete.

I accidentally screwed up a stretch of the main north-south portion of the road. About 100 tiles have incorrectly placed eyes. They connect, but they don't protect the full width of the highway. I worked out it would take me about 100 hours to bash them so we're going to have to live with it for the time being unless somebody has a quicker way to remove and replace them. Sorry about that.

I had to do a very minor bit of landscaping at the top end of the red bridge to get the slope right. Nothing anyone will notice.

477aa3614350313.png

Nice work!  I just saw it yesterday.  On the clay bypass, I have started work on the arch in front of the canal.  I was going to do a single arch, but changed my mind and split it into a pair of arches, to have better symmetry for the canal entrance.  I have a small arch from the main E/W flat bridge, heading north.  Then I'll do a second, larger arch that covers the last stretch in front of he canal.  The smaller arch gives boat access to the clay, for those that need to sail over to dig it.  Currently, one lane of the small arch is complete, so you can ride the bridges, without getting stuck and having to backtrack.  I will finish the small arch first, then create the plan for the canal arch, complete at least 1 lane, then probably go back to the flat bridge to finish the 3rd and final lane.

Looks like Rome is now linked to the catseyed highway. What's the plan to extend the highway further towards Greymead? It's been a while since I've been up there.

I won't be doing any other highway work, beyond my deed and the bridges, at least not for a while. Too many other things going on.  There aren't many active deeds between my place and Greymead.  Deeds exist, but mostly in maintenance mode.

I've got a few ideas for the rest. I'm focused elsewhere for the moment. It worked out well really as it'll be much easier for me to just join onto the bridges once they are finished and continue from there.

Edited by Trooper

Let me know if you need any help with links to the south or west. I've started an aggressive cow breeding program to rebuild my stock of eyes, but it will be a while before I can contribute any more bulk catseyes to the effort.

Might join ya works there oneday, been working on Highway going west of of rome to hellhound trail

Well, as usual, RL got it's claws in me, then Wurm pulled me back.  Had some highway work on Pristine, which I just finished and now am back to finish the Darq Passage canals.  Finished the little arch that lets you boat to the clay (well, I need to test boating under it to be sure) and am making more B&M for the 3rd lane of the long flat clay bridge.  Expecting completion of it and the final arch, which will frame the canal entrance.

After that I may do a bit more on the rest stop.  I need to whip up a few beds and food supplies.

These 2 are done.  I start the plan on the last one tonight.

QglqCzn.jpg

• Like 1

Bridge looks nice, but that might be because I like the sandstone texture. :) Glad to see this project moving on slowly again.

Just out of curiousity, are you planning to improve the tunnel as well?

I got two chars able to mine the veins and floor if needed and I am prepared to donate smelter and the peat for the vein removal. One of those chars is a Mag priestes, meaning some of the walls that haven't been strongwalled can be taken care of by her as well.

Perhaps it's a good idea to turn this into a public project??

Thorin :)

as soon as im done with sermons i will jump there with 2 miners to remove some juicy veins, i was mining in hammerlake canal too, got huge amount of lumps but more is better then less :)

At this point, not doing a deep canal.  Keeping at 5 deep, so knarrs and carts both pass.  There are a number of places where veins were mined out, with "mine forward" actions.  To avoid that, I always "mine up", then level the floor later, if needed. 

I have two deeds covering the entrance and the N corner of the tunnel.  I'll make an effort to clear all veins and any reinforcements needed from the opening to that N corner.  I may take some time to mix up 500 concrete or so and work on the entire tunnel floor, to make it 5 depth flat the entire way.

I think the only vein types left in the canal path are iron, zinc and copper, but on my trip back through, it was late and I was half asleep.  I should to a complete recapping of all the veins and walls that need to be collapsed. 

I'm also toying with reinforcinng the floor and makinng a branch of highway to run the entire length, but I'm not sure how useful that would be, since there aren't any reliable deeds at the far end.  I used to keep one at the West entrance, but it served no purpose.  No others have ever lasted either.

It is awesome how much everyone has done to clear out that canal.  I never expected to see that kind of progress when I first moved away.  Makes me glad that this gets real use, other than a quick way to reach my own deeds.

• Like 1