Sign in to follow this  
Lisabet

[Fixed] Catapulting from mines [Exploit]

While a kingdom member and I were at an enemy deed, we were blocking the enemy player from catapulting outside their mine by having them targetted.  Said mine was on their deed, with a mine door.  They tried something new, by having one account drag the catapult out of the mine, and a second account walking out and firing it (I'm assuming it was winched inside the mine).  This worked the first few times, as I had the player dragging the catapult targetted and they could not fire while I did so.  I had my kingdom member come up and target the one that was firing it after it was dragged out, and for a short time that stopped the catapult, since both were in combat when they stepped out. 

Seems the next thing that was either tried, or happened by coincidence, is the one to fire the catapult stepped back into the mine and it was fired when they broke combat with my friend.  This worked several times, and I talked with the enemy players in local that I believed this was an exploit being used, and they agreed it likely was.  They said they put in a ticket, and I imagine they were told to post here.  I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble, I just want to make sure this gets fixed, or we are told that it's fine to catapult from mines.  I did not want to make a forum post at all, since I believe it's an exploit, but I was informed myself several times to make it a forum post, so here it is.

In addition, the player firing was an ally of the deed, not a member, so when the templars we killed respawned, he became kos'd to the deed as well.  I don't know for sure if a villager with the right permissions would have become kos'd from this, as I'm not really interested in testing it from our deeds, tbh.

It was added to the bug list a while back.  I'll link this forum thread to the bug.

simple bug or exploit? i.e. is it ok to keep abusing this or not?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lisabet said:

simple bug or exploit? i.e. is it ok to keep abusing this or not?

Seems like the same deal as the mine door exploit, okay to use or is it a exploit.

Good luck with this one Lis

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 1

Well.. it took until now to get a response to the support ticket I made ingame regarding this. I didn't even know about this thread until now.

But yeah...

They were at the edge of our deed and I just wanted to catapult stuff they had built. At first I was just loading/winching the catapult inside the mine, dragging it outside and firing it. Couldn't do that anymore after couple hits because I got targeted (and you can't fire catapults in combat). I had to get creative. I logged in on another toon, dragged the catapult outside like I did before, but used the other toon to fire. At some point the second toon was targeted too. Well.. my idea at that point was that at least one of the toons should be out of combat at some point and I should be able to fire. I didn't realize it at first since you can't look at everything while dual clienting, but I realized that the catapult fired when I moved inside the mine (while being in combat). Tested it couple more times to try to understand what actually happened and Lisabet called me out.

Spoiler

[13:07:04] <Lothak> :(
[13:07:11] <Lothak> can't catapult while you are in combat
[13:07:16] <Lisabet> well no
[13:07:38] <Lisabet> can't say I'm surprised tho
[13:08:13] <Lothak> lol
[13:08:22] <Lisabet> fun dual clienting?
[13:09:07] <Lothak> wasn't sure if it would work when I was dragging the catapult
[13:09:27] <Lisabet> bad shot
[13:09:48] <Lisabet> you're certainly inventive
[13:15:24] <Lothak> it catapults when I leave combat when going inside
[13:15:29] <Lisabet> pretty sure this is an exploit
[13:15:38] <Lisabet> but hey, thanks for researching a new one
[13:16:11] <Lothak> yeah, looks like there is no way to prevent someone from catapulting from inside a mine
[13:16:22] <Lisabet> definitely an exploit

[13:16:30] <Lothak> yeah
[13:16:32] <Lothak> maybe
[13:16:33] <Lisabet> would you like to report it or shall I?
[13:16:46] <Lothak> well.. you can take the credit if you want
[13:16:58] <Lisabet> nah, I'll make sure you get full credit
[13:16:58] <Lothak> although, it would be better for me if I did it

And since I got asked to post required steps to reproduce this (two toons is enough):

Have a catapult outside a mine, load it with ammo, winch it, get another toon to attack you, right click catapult & select fire. Go inside the mine and profit.

I also forgot to ask if this is ok to use or is this considered and exploit. All I know is that this was waiting to be reproduced and then it's being moved to the devs.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2017 at 0:34 AM, Lisabet said:

In addition, the player firing was an ally of the deed, not a member, so when the templars we killed respawned, he became kos'd to the deed as well.  I don't know for sure if a villager with the right permissions would have become kos'd from this, as I'm not really interested in testing it from our deeds, tbh.

Yeah, templars don't like it when you catapult from a deed that disallows destroying stuff (not sure which one of the checkboxes), even though you're only hitting stuff that's off deed. Had that happen to our other members too.