Sign in to follow this  
Ayes

Remove Lye From Concrete Creation

2 hours ago, Rathgar said:

Id bet you on it.

Bet on :D. When I first joined wurm my dream base was to make a beautiful oasis in the middle of a big desert. Why do that when i could have a base in a plains biome? Because of the scenery, the work put into it would make me value it more, and it would seem unique. Apparently, it wasnt so unique, plenty of people had a similar idea of destroying a natural area and changing it to something completely different. People are living in the middle of deserts, breaking down mountains to live on the side of it, packing tundra to live on it (i was previously in a village that had done this). Hey, even @Nadrojis making a huge, beautiful, underground city. People have even made their own PERSONAL ISLANDS in this game. Dirt is easy to get, we just level the ground. If this suggestion were to go through, then all it will take to make a mountain is leveling cave floors, leveling sand (both of those are basically not even actions, just occasionally drop and level), digging the clay, and then 2 crafting actions to make the mortar and concrete. SUPER easy if you plan on removing alchemy from the equation! The good majority of builders in wurm have high masonry skill. The only difficulty to overcome is digging the ground, and even that can be simplified with leveling to the lowest point and then digging to stone.

2 hours ago, Rathgar said:

Making concrete a step easier is NOT going to make the few remaining players to turn all their effort into using concrete to raise mountains everywhere.

Thanks for exaggerating my statement by saying mountains everywhere. I have seen evidence of people "crazy" enough to make personal islands and destroy biomes just for a nice looking place, and making massive castles. Concrete is a method of cleaning caves, and the time it takes to make them fits that perfectly, Thats why I -1 this suggestion. 

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:59 PM, MrGARY said:

question buddy, if i have over 90 mining and all my new cave floors are perfectly flat and dont need adjustment because i grinded mining years ago, requiring 0 work to look nice, why cant i easily fix old mines to look the same?

Now this is what really gets me. Although I am very grateful that after all these years the Devs finally decided to take some steps to enable players with high mining (over 90 Skill means every floor and ceiling mined out is level/flat) to consistently mine out level/flat floors, it really at the same time perturbs me that it took them all these years to do what formerly seemed impossible. Of course many comments were made over the years about this problem which seemed bizarrely insurmountable.

Yeah, now we need to use Concrete to fix all this previous mess of crazily rolly polly mine floors *created because of Dev coding*. Then too of course there are some more conscientious players who would even go steps beyond this and use Concrete to fill in pits mined in Public mines by others unknown. I just see this Concrete as being used for fixing both Devs mistakes (coding) and those of others and with the Concrete formulation requiring Lye tied to Natural Substances/Alchemy it just makes this attempt at a positive solution all that much harder and off putting. Good ole' Devs can't make things too easy mode for WO of course. Ahh, what am I thinking anyway...

=Ayes=

Sorry but got to -1 this for one, and only one, reason.

Natural substances.

It is a skill which has very few other uses.

4 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Sorry but got to -1 this for one, and only one, reason.

Natural substances.

It is a skill which has very few other uses.

but making the concrete is nat subs and actually requires it far more than the lye so what is the issue

18 hours ago, MrGARY said:

but making the concrete is nat subs and actually requires it far more than the lye so what is the issue

By that logic we should also remove any n-stage inventory item construction, because the real skillgain is in imping the item.

50 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

By that logic we should also remove any n-stage inventory item construction, because the real skillgain is in imping the item.

but the issue is taking value away from nat subs, which if anything if concrete wasn't so annoying, more people would use it and probably even use concrete to grind it, so nat subs would gain value?

I certainly dont see the logic in that argument though.  Last time I checked I definitely don't need to make 3000 canopy beds to make my deed look nice

-1 I think concrete creation is fine the way it is, maybe just lessen the amount of lye that is needed to make concrete if that helps make it less "annoying"? Off topic but - I just wish you can put concrete on ceilings in mines ;-; (I don't think you can....)

17 hours ago, MrGARY said:

but the issue is taking value away from nat subs, which if anything if concrete wasn't so annoying, more people would use it and probably even use concrete to grind it, so nat subs would gain value?

I certainly dont see the logic in that argument though.  Last time I checked I definitely don't need to make 3000 canopy beds to make my deed look nice

Erm...  The more people willing to level a skill *decreases* its value surely?  Kind of like how the magic market dropped when the uber-easy channel grind was introduced.

1 hour ago, Etherdrifter said:

Erm...  The more people willing to level a skill *decreases* its value surely?  Kind of like how the magic market dropped when the uber-easy channel grind was introduced.

I'm talking value of the skill itself as in the skill becoming more popular, not value as in how much money it can make

I never want gameplay balanced on "muh markets" but rather balanced on making the gameplay fun so the game can grow...

• Like 1

It doesn't matter to me which skills are used but can we at least reduce the amount of lye needed, if not remove lye altogether? Clay & Rocks sounds like a great recipe.

-1. ash is not the issue. i can use ql 10 ash and make concrete without too much a struggle. its your nat sub skill you need to train. that's all. sure its a pain to get large stocks of ash to make concrete as it eats up so much lye, but the ql isnt the problem... sorry. spend 2-3 hours of SB and make healing covers, then try concrete again, you will notice the difference

-1 already been suggested and shot down, will add the old link to this thread after my coffee.

Concrete should easy to make large quantities of, regardless of skills needed to make it, because its essential for terraforming.  Having to spend countless hours to make enough ash to make 100k concrete is kinda silly.  Either increase the yield from lye by 100X or change the recipe to clay and rock shards or both.

Edited by madnezz
  • Like 1

my main concern with concrete is the 40 slope max...why not have it cost a plank per raise after 40 and then can keep raising but its more costly. would allow fixing up areas more easily than raising entire mountain to surface mine it 30 minutes later...sure ash ias a bit of a pain to get but other than this its not that big an issue imo. that 40 slope thing is the real problem. but pretty sure this wont change or else people in chaos would abuse it