Sign in to follow this  
Idlamn

Dragon pen

Today I was surprised by a big red dragon while climbing down my tunnel. He has now taken residence there, and I have to climb to my place since I can't get past him.

I thought I would go teach im a lesson, but I don't want to kill it since it's really darn pretty. I can't have it in my tunnel either or I will be climbing up and down to and from my place all the time. So I thought of putting it in a different cave.

But then maybe I want to look at it from time to time. Keep it as a sort of trophy you know... So I came up with this plan:

1. build a tunnel. This will be the tunnel I lure the dragon in.

2. at the end of the tunnel dig a larger underground space

3. in the middle of that chamber build a house with a floor on top.

4. build another tunnel to that chamber. This will be the one i come in after I lured the dragoon inside, to see it.

5. make a bridge from the house in the middle to where tunnel2 meets the dragon room

At this point I should be able to walk on my bridge on top of that house and the dragon should not attack me, since he cannot reach me.

However I have the following concerns:

1. I read that they can "mine down" walls. And was wondering if he will get aggro of me and break into tunnel 2 before I reach the bridge.

2. If 1 is possible maybe reinforcing the walls would help.

3. Was also wondering if he can randomly decide to destroy my house and my bridge. In this case the whole thing would be rather pointless

This is a sketch of what I had in mind https://pastebin.com/3KVJa5v5 . (deed planner 2.8.9)

Btw, I won't be hiding it or anything. I am on epic and there are a lot of uniques atm that no one wants to kill. Because we're such nice people here! I will open the place to the kingdom so people can also visit it. Or visit it and kill the dragon... whatever.

What are your thoughts on this? Does it seem possible, and has someone tried anything similar?

This will not work. The dragon will bash almost every wall which comes in his way and expand the mine.

There are only a few ways to really pen a dragon so it stays in a certain position and this can not be achieved with an underground mine alone. You need to know a lot more about dragons to actually really pen them, so they stay in a certain area forever(TM) ... which means until an update fixes this certain pen again.

Holding a dragon in let's say a 2x2 tile square became very hard over the years, but it is still possible, above ground and below ground.

Edited by Sklo:D
  • Like 1

Not to mention it will make people very angry that you are permanently holding an unique. They are very valuable. Best thing to do is find a team, kill it, and collect your reward.

• Like 1

As other said, it won't work with the code as is, but it would be great if there was a viable way to pen dragons. They are beautiful, and I'd love some dragon pets!

• Like 1

He does seem to be trapped in my tunnel. So I assumed from the start that keeping them in a cave is possible.

What I wanted to achieve with my contraction, in fact, was being able to visit it without it aggroing. Think I'll just lure it out to a different cave for now, so it doesn't bother me.

44 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

Not to mention it will make people very angry that you are permanently holding an unique. They are very valuable. Best thing to do is find a team, kill it, and collect your reward.

Like I said I won't be holding it for myself. We will prolly kill it when we have the numbers. Epics pop is in it's low atm and there are plenty uniques roaming around.

Oh, didnt know it was Epic. That makes more sense. Yeah! I dont think anyone in Epic cares xD 

Thats what I get for speed reading lul

Edited by Angelklaine
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Idlamn said:

Epics pop is in it's low atm and there are plenty uniques roaming around.

Yep, on Epic few will care about your little pet dragon. Heck, I know of one WU server where you can have one of various types to ride around upon. On another server you can create animated duplicates of them from their corpses.

=Ayes=

7 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

it's on Epic, and he stated he was going to leave it open to the kingdom, to see or kill if they want.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Talohan said:

it's on Epic, and he stated he was going to leave it open to the kingdom, to see or kill if they want.

7 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Oh, didnt know it was Epic. That makes more sense. Yeah! I dont think anyone in Epic cares xD 

You're about 7 hours late :D

It's possible to securely pen a Dragon. You'll need to find some rock that is at water level. Make a mine there and lead the Dragon inside. Collapse the mine after leading the Dragon inside, then surface mine all four sides of the mine down to water, then cover the whole thing with dirt.

It is a little effort intensive but that's how the 2014 Black Dragon on Xanadu is being held.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Or maybe my fault for writing such a long OP :D

5 hours ago, Chakron said:

It's possible to securely pen a Dragon. You'll need to find some rock that is at water level. Make a mine there and lead the Dragon inside. Collapse the mine after leading the Dragon inside, then surface mine all four sides of the mine down to water, then cover the whole thing with dirt.

It is a little effort intensive but that's how the 2014 Black Dragon on Xanadu is being held.

Sounds like he's being held in a mausoleum =D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chakron said:

It is also possible above ground, you just will not find anyone who is going to tell you how, as this would be fixed by the DEVs very fast.

3 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

It is also possible above ground, you just will not find anyone who is going to tell you how, as this would be fixed by the DEVs very fast.

Aye, loose lips sink ships, even those with dragon prows. It has never been wise to publish or speak too widely about certain advantages within the game. Even ones that at first glance seem perfectly fine. If they do not conform to WO's standards of tedium and restrictions, then off with their heads!

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Somewhat related:

I know that dragons are able to break walls, but if I am surprised by one on my deed and I flee into a multi story building, will it flatten it to the ground? Or will it simply break walls on the first level only.

Like what do people do to prevent uniques destroying their deeds?

What's the point to penning a dragon forever these days? Besides the pet factor.

2 minutes ago, MaurizioAM said:

What's the point to penning a dragon forever these days? Besides the pet factor.

On 02/09/2017 at 10:01 AM, Idlamn said:

But then maybe I want to look at it from time to time. Keep it as a sort of trophy you know... 

Just now, Yiraia said:

Yea I get that but besides that is there really any other purpose.. 

1 thing I could think of would be preventing that particular unique from respawning on the monthly roll allowing other uniques to have higher spawn chance

what that video doesnt really capture is the 1.5 hours spent with 3 people in a sailboat chasing 1 person in a sailboat in "the good old days" (also right after minimum distance was added to bows and no one grinded/had shortbows since longbows had no min distance)

at least we had a nice discussion during

27 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

what that video doesnt really capture is the 1.5 hours spent with 3 people in a sailboat chasing 1 person in a sailboat in "the good old days" (also right after minimum distance was added to bows and no one grinded/had shortbows since longbows had no min distance)

at least we had a nice discussion during

Must of been a hell of a trip though, I am sure there is lots the video does not show, good to hear some first person perspective.

Dragonpen spun a great story out of it though, of which I have yet to see on any other pvp video, he had the happiest and saddest moments all rolled into the tale.

Edited by JakeRivers

21 hours ago, MaurizioAM said:

Money