Sign in to follow this  
Rainsome

Random chaotic changes are good to make this game die

So, I came back after a while to this game, prem'ed just to find out that all my effort I've put into this game was a waste of time. Good job!

Long story short: some time ago I settled on Xanadu at Glasshollow. I've build my pens and farms at Glasshollow perimeter which was all good. I put there my fences and repaired them and imped when needed. Just FYI, Glasshollow's never had build permission on, and it's fine, since I was able to build on the perimeter. The owner of the deed was/is fine with it too. So, after a little vacation I came back and saw some of my fences missing. And I went to rebuilding them. I put a fence back on and tried to imp it. And it told me that I cannot improve it (even I was able to build it!). Then I tried to repair old fences and got the same message. So, I submitted a ticket. A CM came, investigated into the issue and told me that I am not allowed to build/repair/imp on the perimeter if the deed doesn't allow it.  BUT how come I was able to do all of these before for a year if it's not allowed to? Now, I still can build fences (even the perm says I cannot) but I cannot repair not imp it? When I asked if something has changed about it I got the answer that it's been like this for 2 or 3 years..  ????? This is such nonsense since I was able to BUILD and REPAIR and IMP fences on the perimeter just two months ago...

Surely something's changed. Something in the code about it. But without any advance notice.  And that probably should make me feel great about all the time I've put into my areas... NOT! Since I cannot do anything about it. The CM told me that no GM will contact me and that I shall start a thread on forums. 'Good' customer service!  I must tell you - this is not the way you should attract old experienced players back into the game. I love this game. But such things just make me put it away on the shelves in hope that some day the devs would think before making such radical unthinking changes.

• Like 1

Problems with deeds should be taken up with the deed holder and not gms.

Building in someone elses perimeter shouldnt be allowed at all, and your buildings will decay faster there so not really a good idea.

• Like 2

When the CM told you to start a thread on the forums my guess is that it meant you should make a thread aimed at the deed holder, to ask for its assistance in sorting the situation out. You're essentially squatting on someone else's land and that person might not even be aware of your presence there. The game didn't change - The settings for the perimeter you're in changed, so you need to figure out whose land you're living on and contact that person. There are tons of alternatives for why the settings were changed for the perimeter you're living on.

This issue you're having is not one with the game but with an individual, and you can't blame the CM you spoke with. They already went beyond what's included in their responsibilities by trying to help you figure the situation out.

Edit: I understand where your frustration comes from since there have been instances in the past where random settings have been turned on and off, but as far as I recall there hasn't been any changes to the deed-perimeter relationship in at least a year that could've caused this.

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 3

fences have crazy decay rates in perimeter, not worth the trouble to maintain, why would you want to live in someones perimeter anyways? find a nice spot and call it your own

• Like 2

Why would you live in someone perimeter? Get your own deed or join a village. It's pretty simple really.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rainsome said:

Long story short: some time ago I settled on Xanadu at Glasshollow. I've build my pens and farms at Glasshollow perimeter which was all good. I put there my fences and repaired them and imped when needed. Just FYI, Glasshollow's never had build permission on, and it's fine, since I was able to build on the perimeter. The owner of the deed was/is fine with it too.

Unless you mean a satelite deed with the name Glasshollow in it, Glasshollow is a starter town. These towns do not have "owners"  that you can ask for permission to build. Unless it is a different town, how do you know they was/is fine with it?

Now, perimeter is, and always has been, land reserved for deed expansion. You can not deed over other players houses, and therefore, by default, anything that is houses is out of the question. Fences are a different animal altogether and may or may not allow building, repairing and imping; but logically speaking, it is not your land but someone else's reserved land, so it makes sense to me that you cannot expect full permissions on doing whatever you please with semi-permanent structures.

The only thing that I can think of is that your fences may have been outside the perimeter of the deed before, and that the deed has expanded and now does cover your fences. That would explain why you could repair them before and no longer can now.

2 hours ago, Rainsome said:

Surely something's changed. Something in the code about it. But without any advance notice.  And that probably should make me feel great about all the time I've put into my areas... NOT! Since I cannot do anything about it.

I do not think there were any unannounced changes.  Perhaps glasshollow expanded, or a setting by the deed was changed. A much more advanced permissions system was introduced a while back but it was by no means unannounced. Do always keep in mind, you can not call an area that is not deeded by you, your area. You can ESPECIALLY not sit in another deeds perimeter and claim it as yours.

You can pitch up a tent in your neighbors front lawn but don't be surprised to find your tent in the trash tomorrow.. Do it in your own lawn or at the very least go to a public park that nobody owns.

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 2

As someone who was an off-deed-living person for a while, it's best to either head to the wilderness, get permission to live in someone's backyard, or group up with other off deed people, so you don't get deeded over as easily. 

• Like 1

Some settings regarding picking up and such were corrected on starter deeds, but I'm unaware of any changes to allowiung improving or repairing in the perimeter (or even if settings allow this)

This is not a random chaotic change, it's actually a mechanic that has existed since perimeters and deeds existed. 

The best option is to avoid building anything in any perimeter, as it opens potential issues of lost items and increased decay 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Rainsome said:

Surely something's changed. Something in the code about it. But without any advance notice.

You are exactly right about this. The starter Villages have always allowed players to build and repair fencing within their Perimeters. Then several months ago an unannounced (secret? bug?) change was made that would no longer allow players to *repair* fencing within their (starter Village) perimeters. I discovered this on Deliverance on Green Dog perimeter when I tried to repair a fence gate I had built for player access to the tar pit I had surrounded with camellia hedges to protect players inside. I got the message that Green Dog did not allow this (repair) so I just let the fence gate decay away and thought to heck with it.

I know your spot you had on Glasshollow *Perimeter*, how you had developed it, fenced it in and were living there because I had a deed nearby and saw your little freehold homestead, which was also partially on a small plot of free land where you had also build some small buildings. Other responses are a bit confused here and inaccurate. Something was changed to disallow others from *repairing* fencing on starter Village perimeters. Maybe you can still build fencing as I didn't try that. Also, I don't know if this *repair blocking* applies now to all deed perimeters of which you are not a member.

Anyway yeah, I know exactly what the issue is you are describing accurately. Maybe it is Dev intended now or maybe not but it certainly was never publicized as a change so I can understand why you are a bit upset about the situation.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
brilliance added
  • Like 3

I can confirm that it was possible for players to build (and repair/imp) fences within the perimeter of a starting village for a long time. At some time (roughly half a year ago?) this was changed.

I cannot comment on whether this was intentional or not.

• Like 1

Good, I am glad they did this.

I used to regularly plant cedar saplings in starter town perimeters (so that newbies could easily find wood to make their carts and tools) and it always infuriated me when I planted a nice thick open access tree farm for new players, and someone would come by and fence it all off for themselves and put a lock on the gate. Perimeters of starter towns are perfect for newbie tree farms since the land is not buildable anyway and they always have permissions to cut trees there. 

Why do you need to build in anyone's perimeter, it makes more sense to build "freebuild" settlements in unclaimed lands. These days you can  find plenty of open spots and even nice waterfront with a guard tower or two handy and  abandoned mines and wells. In fact, I left two beautiful heavily wooded waterfront deeds when I left WO two years ago, and no one has built in either spot since (though on Indy not Xanadu). Both spots have multiple guard towers, multiple mines with iron, tons of cedar trees, and huge water frontage. I can only imagine Xanadu also has similar places now. 

You should never be able to put fences in someone else's perimeter, whether it's a private or public deed. Starter town areas should cater to helping new players get started in the game. 

If you have been playing since 2013 or more, you should know plenty well by now how to make a nice "freefolk" homestead settlement in the open countryside. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Alright. Maybe I overreacted yesterday. But I think it's all understandable. I've planned and spent lots of time on things which were rendered useless by some changes in the game. I am not against the changes themselves. Maybe they are good and maybe they shouldn't even allow to build on a perimeter. But what strikes me is that I wasn't warned about it in advance. If I had been informed about these changes I could have prepared for them morally and made other plans. Also, such changes should be taken with care before applying.

As for why I've built my pens and farms on the perimeter and didn't go far away to free lands - I have a place, my home in a village where I live near Glasshollow and just wanted to have some farming/pens place. The village doesn't have enough place for that. I simply wanted my farms to be near me, which is a reasonable wish, I think.  All the deed owners around the place were informed and had no objection to that. And yes, I know about the decay rate and I was willing to deal with it.

Anyway, think the matter could be considered closed now. I will have to find other ways to deal with it.

Thank you for your thoughts and participation in the subject.

• Like 1

And sorry i did not mean to sound cranky with you personally, it just triggered frustrations I had on another server and a different situation, but the same "subject matter."   

I agree with frustrations on unannounced changes.

so ppl can now build fances in my perimeter and cant inprove?  what a deal?   you can do whatevery you want in perimeter but cant make houses.  its part of wildernes area.

wurm always do unannounced changes

Edited by Sila
  • Like 1

If permissions were corrected on starter deeds that's one thing and I will check with the Gm';s who handle them.

But this is not any ninja change or code adjustment, some have used anecdotes from months ago to explain something that happened this week. 

11 hours ago, Rainsome said:

I put a fence back on and tried to imp it. And it told me that I cannot improve it (even I was able to build it!). Then I tried to repair old fences and got the same message.

It is not just starter town perimeters.  I built a small fenced area to protect a mine entrance to 1 slate tile in the perimeter of a newly arrived player who deeded over a huge slate mine.  However, when I tried to repair/improve the fences got the message that deed owner did not permit that! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

But this is not any ninja change or code adjustment, some have used anecdotes from months ago to explain something that happened this week.

This is not something that happened "this week". I discovered this no repair thing on a Green Dog fence gate several months ago. It's just that Rainsome returned recently to also discover this situation. If as you say it is not a ninja change or code adjustment then it is some unintended change, which some may consider better and some won't. The only thing that wasn't allowed in deed perimeters previous to this (starter Villages perimeters included) was building houses if not a member or ally of that deed.

Now of course since there is no real advantage of digging into the code to remove the repair and improve restriction, I have no doubt that it will remain as is. Let's just not try to obfuscate or confuse the facts of the matter here, eh? Possibly this is a better situation to remain as is but it has little positive effect since players can still build fencing on other deed perimeters anyway. They just need better skill and materials to create higher QL fences/walls that will last longer rather than improving them or repairing. Sort of a useless restriction in light of this fact.

=Ayes=

• Like 4

I think this happened when the starter towns were remade, someone prolly changed settings then.

This was total click bait... Was a waste of time reading this. 

• Like 2

I dont see what the issue is. Why do people need to.build on perimeter? Leave perimeter alone. You need to build a farm? There are literally -millions- of tiles out there for you to choose from. 

Lets say that your home is bordered by 3 mountains and a deed, and the only flat place is the perimeter of the deed... well, grab a mountain, dig/surface mine it, then plant your farm. Dont want to do the work? Move. Its that simple. 

The player to land ratio nowdays is ridiculous. I live in a coastal deed on Celebration, and next to me is about 1000+ tiles of literally flat land, undeeded, waterfront, with oak/cedar trees. It has mailboxes, altars and a JK tower there and even docking area for boats. I flattened the area myself. Used to be my old deed. On the opposite side of it is what used to be Southwind Port. Go down the coast and there are countless of coastal spots, with mines, docks, flat areas... 

Why does anyone want to intrude on someone's perimeter is beyond me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

I dont see what the issue is. Why do people need to.build on perimeter? Leave perimeter alone. You need to build a farm? There are literally -millions- of tiles out there for you to choose from. 

Why does anyone want to intrude on someone's perimeter is beyond me.

I think you didn't get the point. If the rules were that you cannot build on a perimeter, then it shouldn't allow you to build on a perimeter. That's simple. If the game allows you to build on a perimeter and repair and imp fences, then it's considered legit. But if you do this, spend months in doing so and then all of a sudden without a notice you cannot do it anymore, then you get some frustration. It's obvious. And this is not about my matter only. I can deal with it fine. But the point of my initial post was the lack of information about incoming changes. That some things cannot be just changed without any notice right away because someone thought it's for good cause. I care about the game, and I wish it good. But I can see how these kind of changes may push players away.

• Like 1

Well, that is fair yes, but it seems to have been a deed permissions adjustment. Although I do vaguely remember somewhere a discussions about perimeters and fences. Not sure if a change came from that.

On 9/2/2017 at 8:48 AM, Baloo said:

It is not just starter town perimeters.  I built a small fenced area to protect a mine entrance to 1 slate tile in the perimeter of a newly arrived player who deeded over a huge slate mine.  However, when I tried to repair/improve the fences got the message that deed owner did not permit that! 

Your welcome