Sign in to follow this  

header.png

Underground abode - Leifar

Hi Everyone!

Later on today sees the change of the 4.0 "unstable" client as the live stable release! It's a big change, and Wurm never looked better, but we're aware those on a lower end PC and some configurations are having issues, so there will be two additional clients along with the stable.

But first...

Spoiler

The unstable 4.0 client has been updated with a few fixes in preparation for the launch as the stable client on September 1st. If you encountered any issues with the unstable client prior to this update please try again and report any further issues you do encounter here:

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/156900-unstable-client-testing-and-feedback-last-chance/

• Outlining hovered objects will now be affected by the opacity set.
  • Fix for animated models flickering in caves.
  • Fix for crashing when FBO Support was disabled.
  • The stars will now rotate from north to south in line with Sol.
  • Fix for an uncommon crash on launch when loading color settings
  • Fix for an issue finding resources for first time installing
  • Reduced the darkness caused by heavy clouding.
  • Fix for cave walls appearing through structures.
  • Fix for a bridge-related crash.
  • Fix a lighting issue causing distant walls to be too bright..
  • Mine doors now display correctly from inside caves.
  • Spaced health/stamina bar and text beneath.
  • Significant performance and memory usage improvements

Low memory
This client doesn't use the dynamic memory system of the stable client, and instead has the same memory limitations as the previous (Legacy) client. it will be useful for systems with limited ram, or using multiple clients.

Legacy
This client will be the existing stable one, given to those who continue to have issues with the stable client and the low memory one doesn't resolve them. This client will receive very limited support for issues, and only critical errors will be addressed.

These clients will be available for those who need them, but we'll be working hard on ensuring that everyone can get on the stable client and running smoothly as soon as possible.

The stable client brings a whole lot more opportunities to the game, so don't miss out on the fun!

Wurmpedia users
We're looking at opening up the applications for the wurmpedia to be much more streamlined, simply requesting an account via the Wurmpedia itself. Wurmpedia editor accounts are open to all players, and can be used to add and edit wiki pages, as well as write your own user profiles and record your history in wurm.

In the meantime, you can use our current method to apply for a Wurmpedia editor account via the link here:

CA applications open
We're also looking for community assistants to join the team! Community Assistants are a vital part of the team, helping old and new players alike with questions about game mechanics and information when new updates land.

Successful applicants must display a good level of knowledge and activity in CA help (so we can see you know what you're talking about!), good standing with the community and meet minimum playtime requirements.
If you're keen on joining, head to this topic and apply to our Lead Chat Moderator Idony today! 

Community content - you have died of dysentery
This weeks community content is an idea from Bloodscythe to create a wurmian Oregon trail. Players meet at a specific starter deed on Xanadu and wind their way throughout the lands, using only limited resources and equipment. It looks like a fun adventure, and gives a good excuse to tour the land and check out all the wild spots!

That's it from us for this week, work continued on the updated textures for the steel, silver and wooden mine doors (Rock remains the same to be sneaky!) along with a few other things. But that's for another news day.. Until then, keep on Wurmin

Retrograde & the Wurm team.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ajala said:

Do I get an achievement for "First!"?

Yes... no... maybe? 

• Like 1

Fairly light on the news, where the animal crates, and bsb racks!

New mine doors and fix's to existing mine door problems, ie: mine doors are not really secure, important for freedom, but really important on pvp side of things.

When will last weeks change go in, reduced catseye planting timers?

• Like 1

This is very good news on the three Client choices as described. Always great to have options to continue to play the game should the performance issues of the newest one be unacceptable. It will also allow players to ease into the latest Client once they figure out how to resolve any problems they might have with it. Well done, says I!

=Ayes=

Curios, will there be a legacy-like-client option for WU? My computer doesn't like this new client (20fps or lower with the low memory). 

Question for whoever made underground abode in the banner image, how the hell did you plan high iron fences inside of arches? Maybe it's because I'm on WU, but the option doesn't come up at all.

EDIT: So regular stone brick high iron fences cannot be planned inside of arches, but the newer brick types of high iron fences can, devs, can this be changed so stone high iron fences share the same properties?

Edited by Huntar

for my 1.78 cents after inflation and impact by euro i'll add a stream of thought.   I had reached into my rather rediculous  bag of toons, dusted off  a priest, went down to Summerholdt xanadu to sermon to bring to full faith.  The fps when from my normal 60 down to 14 and 12 and plummeting to zero intermittently.  At the advisement of aniceset, loaded up toon on unstable client and I must say wow.  not only did my frames improve more than double, yet no lag, no dropping fps, and the very best thing of all...was the unexpected.  the images/graphics were so so much sharper and more vivid.  If any of you have ever had  sensitive eyes or problems with glare then used polarized lenses...you know what I mean.  For all these reasons but mostly for the eye candy, please please try the unstable client that will be the stable one...truly solid work on the Wurm team that worked on it...I wurm emote kiss you....through a sheet of papyrus ofc.  Moreover, aniceset has consistently shown herself to be of good character over years of play.  Always willing to help and share and wurm among fellow wurmians, She represents being a staff member well.

Edited by Bloodscythe
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, joedobo said:

Curios, will there be a legacy-like-client option for WU? My computer doesn't like this new client (20fps or lower with the low memory). 

There has been no decision on this yet, but I would err on not likely. I'll be aiming for 32-bit (low memory) and 64-bit modes and a decent beta transition. If you have specific issues, now would be a great time to get them posted.

• Like 1

for the client do we just play through the ones we got downloaded or redownload through the 'play' button?

Edited by Mclavin

59 minutes ago, Mclavin said:

for the client do we just play through the ones we got downloaded or redownload through the 'play' button?

I'm still working on deploying the new one. It will come down as a normal client update. Links to low memory will be posted and eventually available on the website.

Side note: All "unstable" clients will cease working once deployment happens. You won't be kicked from the game, but you will not be able to use it to reconnect.

• Like 2

• The stars will now rotate from north to south in line with Sol.

I cannot begin to tell you how happy this makes me. :D

Edited by Sidereal

And a correction: The old unstable shortcut will still work, but please do not use it. If your client says 4.0.4, you need to get the newest from www.wurmonline.com (click Play)

Very nice on the updated client so far, shadows look great and things look crisp, not so washed out.

FPS around 44, not bad at all, great work guys.

Regular client giving me 1fps and freezes ( in new raxa deliverance deed ) ,used now memory and it didnt help much, still freezes and 4-8fps. almost min settings.

EDIT:

~last month had ~15fps at same place, somehow every time i log in it's getting worser. haven't been actively playing for over a year though

Edited by Martynas5

Lighting is looking great now @Samoolthanks for putting up with my constant pokes about it and for all the work in general :D

• Like 1