Thinking of trying this game

On 10/3/2017 at 0:29 AM, Roccandil said:

A bunch of stuff that wasn't about Elevation

So, coming to Elevation any time soon?

=]

1 hour ago, Wulvarik said:

So, coming to Elevation any time soon?

=]

Who knows! :) I did briefly visit to priest my alt...

On 9/29/2017 at 0:57 PM, Ayes said:

One thing you won't find though is the Devs changing their core concepts around which the game functions to suit other's wishes. In essence it is adapt or die (quit) here. Few tears are shed for those new to the game with little ties to anyone else who then suddenly disappears never to be seen again. The game and progress then grinds on ever so slowly, with patience seemingly being its own reward when it comes to skill progress. Then I find at very high skill levels that unless all the particular advantages are employed effectively in a focused manner, skill gains if any at all will be miniscule and not worth paying the slightest attention to.

i have to disagree with this. Skill gain on several skills has been increased over the years. I remember when black smithing was not crazy easy to level up. We no longer lose items when failing to put them together. Remember how many headboards it used to take to make a bed for a newbie? How many trees had to die putting 2 keels together to make a boat. Back when the creation % actually meant something. Now you would have to fail like 1000 times to actually damage a item enough to make it poof. 6% chance now means no problem just keep spamming until it goes.

People complained new people had it too rough so they added fasting to the game. Yeah remember when you ran out of food you could not do any actions that required stamina if your food bar ran out? Back when you did not start with a compass, tent, armor. You died and you had to find your way back to your corpse. Back when you foraged you only got seeds instead of actual items. Back when a new person had to farm like 2 weeks to be able to harvest more than 1 item basically living without veggies until then. Had to use a barrel to try and guess when the crops were ripe. Now minimum harvest yields 2.

The price of deeds are dramatically cheaper than they used to be.Back when size 5 village cost 25 silver just to plant. Surface mining is easy mode when compared to what it used to be. Level command made a huge change to digging eliminating the crazy time consuming act of flat raising. Dredging now puts the dirt in the boat instead of having to empty the dredge every 2 dirt, floorboards now only need 5 planks instead of 20.

Crafting interface. Skill tracker, built in timers. Sleep bonus being able to be turned off and have a auto shut off in case you forget. We used to have to do silly things like log in a alt to fire up the forge or gather materials because sleep bonus had to be used right then and there upon login.

These are just the ones i can think of off the top of my head. My opinion differs that I feel the core concepts of WO is very very slowly being pushed to a more instant gratification game

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Evilvision said:

i have to disagree with this. Skill gain on several skills has been increased over the years. I remember when black smithing was not crazy easy to level up. We no longer lose items when failing to put them together. Remember how many headboards it used to take to make a bed for a newbie? How many trees had to die putting 2 keels together to make a boat. Back when the creation % actually meant something. Now you would have to fail like 1000 times to actually damage a item enough to make it poof. 6% chance now means no problem just keep spamming until it goes.

People complained new people had it too rough so they added fasting to the game. Yeah remember when you ran out of food you could not do any actions that required stamina if your food bar ran out? Back when you did not start with a compass, tent, armor. You died and you had to find your way back to your corpse. Back when you foraged you only got seeds instead of actual items. Back when a new person had to farm like 2 weeks to be able to harvest more than 1 item basically living without veggies until then. Had to use a barrel to try and guess when the crops were ripe. Now minimum harvest yields 2.

The price of deeds are dramatically cheaper than they used to be.Back when size 5 village cost 25 silver just to plant. Surface mining is easy mode when compared to what it used to be. Level command made a huge change to digging eliminating the crazy time consuming act of flat raising. Dredging now puts the dirt in the boat instead of having to empty the dredge every 2 dirt, floorboards now only need 5 planks instead of 20.

Crafting interface. Skill tracker, built in timers. Sleep bonus being able to be turned off and have a auto shut off in case you forget. We used to have to do silly things like log in a alt to fire up the forge or gather materials because sleep bonus had to be used right then and there upon login.

These are just the ones i can think of off the top of my head. My opinion differs that I feel the core concepts of WO is very very slowly being pushed to a more instant gratification game

A long road exists between instant frustration and instant gratification. :P

Like I've said elsewhere, it should take X time to grind Y skill to level Z, that provides opportunity cost, which is (and should be) the true difficulty of Wurm. Ideally, grinding any single skill should -never- be frustrating, and should indeed be as fun as possible. The difficulty should be in what you're -not- doing when you're grinding that skill; that makes for interesting gameplay choices, which is a good thing.

I could see adding more survival mechanics to the game, however. Winter feels pretty, for instance, not deadly. I kinda wish exposure to cold was a thing you had to worry about.

Things like pottery bowls work good and foraged items for trade value. If you get the exact value you can technically trade items for items