Sign in to follow this  
Gwyn

Change 'Shatter' to 'Mangle'

Suggestion:

Instead of items shattering during enchantment, they should be 'mangled' (or whatever other term might better fit). A mangled item retains all the identifying features of the original item (quality, casts, maker's inscription, etc.) but it becomes unusable, unrepairable junk and – crucially – it is not removed from the game completely. The item shows in inventory as normal but with 'mangled' added before the description.

Why it's necessary:

Custom casting is widespread. If items shatter, unless the caster videos the process, there's no real evidence they can provide the customer. If the item is mangled, the caster can send it back to the customer for verification. This change would add transparency and security to the custom casting process.

• Like 4

+1 i like the ideea

Could also add for a cool collection of ''mangled'' items 

+1

This is a very nice idea and would really solve a lot of enchanting trust issues.

I like it, you get an item back that is usable but not permenant.

-1 This is horrible when you're casting on hundreds of low QL "skiller" tools.  Imagine all those garbage items that need to be thrown into the trash heap. 

Also, someone is inevitably going to sell these to new players telling them they are perfectly normal useful items. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Belgrim said:

-1 This is horrible when you're casting on hundreds of low QL "skiller" tools.  Imagine all those garbage items that need to be thrown into the trash heap. 

Also, someone is inevitably going to sell these to new players telling them they are perfectly normal useful items. 

Up to 100 items can be drag+dropped in an instant to a trash heap or altar for saccing, so I'm having trouble seeing the issue. Anyway, I'm willing to bet that the majority of enchanting time is spent repeatedly casting on high-value items in pursuit of higher-power casts.

Anyone can already take advantage of new players' ignorance in any number of ways to sell them low-value items, not that I ever see it happening. Again, I'm willing to bet most people are clever enough to understand there's something wrong with an item labelled 'mangled rare axe' or whatever. If not, 'mangled' could always be changed to 'useless', leaving no room for doubt.

• Like 2

At first I was confused about what this was going to accomplish. But getting to the part about it being proof of a cast failure I was sold on this idea. +1. The only issue would be to make the mangled status of the item appear when checking Mail so that mailbox scams are prevented.

23 hours ago, Belgrim said:

What jerks do you know, so i can avoid them ._.

+1 because I am paranoid people won't believe me if I tell them my (currently hypothetical)  priest broke something expensive.

If I was mailed back a mangled item, I would reject it since it has 0 use.  This will cause it to go back to the sender and charge them the mailing fee.  Just an FYI that I think was forgotten.  I personally have never had anyone question me when something went kaboom.  I am always upfront about the chance and what my skill is and how often I have had it happen to me.  

On 8/31/2017 at 10:54 PM, Belgrim said:

ok so on the flip side, somebody is gonna take that new players items for enchantment and say it blew up. Whats the loss?

• Like 1

Or keep the name and have the trash item be "The shattered remains of X"

• Like 3

On 9/1/2017 at 2:06 AM, Gwyn said:

Up to 100 items can be drag+dropped in an instant to a trash heap or altar for saccing, so I'm having trouble seeing the issue.

Maybe this could only kick in if the item is over 70+ QL?  (many enchants don't work below 70 QL anyways)

Sorry to seem lazy, but how many items fit in a trash heap again?  I also don't relish the notion of a trash-heap in the middle of my church...

I suppose I could sacrifice failures assuming it's allowed, but I'm not sure everything I cast on can fit in an altar (halberd etc).

1 hour ago, JakeRivers said:

just remove shatter, wtf

I doubt removing shatter is up for discussion, hence my suggestion as a way of creating a better version of a bad thing.

On 9/2/2017 at 2:04 AM, Darmalus said:

Or keep the name and have the trash item be "The shattered remains of X"

+1 to this. Make a new item, a pile of rubble that can fit in a mailbox, trash or altar and it can also have the 'discard' option that ore has now.. so you have the proof, the item is  useless and easily discardable.

Edit: on examine it can keep the same details, enchants, creator etc as the original item.

Edited by faty

11 hours ago, Belgrim said:

Maybe this could only kick in if the item is over 70+ QL?  (many enchants don't work below 70 QL anyways)

Sorry to seem lazy, but how many items fit in a trash heap again?  I also don't relish the notion of a trash-heap in the middle of my church...

I suppose I could sacrifice failures assuming it's allowed, but I'm not sure everything I cast on can fit in an altar (halberd etc).

Many people buy and cast on low quality items.  100 items fit in a trash heap.