Sign in to follow this  
Morhedron

Soon To Be Stable Client - Slams my pc

I don't know what it is but now whenever I start Wurm something is slamming my performance....   fps drops to like 5-10 and when i quit my pc is so disfunctional I have to reboot.

And that's a chore..... if this doesn't change soon I'm afraid I will find it unplayable.

I haven't done any other updates to my system.

As an added note, when I use the current stable client I get 60 fps and when I exit no problems with my PC.

Edited by Morhedron
Additional info

Maybe post a copy of your console.charactername.log, so we have an idea what the settings, drivers and hardware are.

One game I played had a settings option called "laptop mode" -- in theory mostly aimed at people with integrated graphics but a bit of a misnomer because some laptops did not need it and some desktops did, but overall it was a setting that mostly catered to people with integrated graphics and older hardware, by switching off for them every normal setting that had issues with integrated graphics. It might not be a bad choice for wurm's new client to have a single button that toggles OFF everything like: antialiasing, reflections, shadows, fancy shaders dynamic lighting etc. It will be uglier but smooth to play on, and so simple even those awkward with computers can handle it.  

(Your computer might not need that,  the post just made me think of it and wonder if a lot of people with older hardware are going to be suddenly having any pain with the new client. I did not mean to imply your hardware is the issue in tis case, it probably isn't).

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

That might be something...  but the current stable client doesn't cause the issues here.  For me, for whatever reason, the only difference is the current stable client vs the new client.  The old one works fine while the new one is unusable for me and after I try to use it in order to do anything on my computer I have to reboot.  To me, my future in Wurm looks pretty bleak.  I've been playing for almost 5 years now and am currently maintaining 5 deeds on 3 servers.  Not that that has ever mattered.

I have switched between the two clients quite a bit over the last few months.  I've found each to have rather different settings for achieving great performance.  I highly recommend doing a lot of experimenting with your graphics settings in the new client, to find which ones can get you performing properly.  Maybe you already have, before posting here?  I've found water detail, shadow, dynamic lights, all render distances and pretty trees to be particularly good settings to reduce.  What confuses me is how your PC stays somewhat broken after closing the client.  For that, open task manager and see if a ghost java client is still running.  I've had that happen when clients get bugged and lock up on me.  For some reason, they can go wild and just hog all your PC CPU and RAM when in that locked up state.  From task manager, right click it and "end task" to remove it.  That hopefully saves you from a PC reboot.

Thanks.  I'll give that a try tomorrow.  Just about to turn in.

If that's the case, it's the unstable client causing the issue, but at least it'll be something to point at.