Sign in to follow this  
Morhedron

[Resolved] Soon To Be Stable Client - Lighting at night

At night things are brighter than with the old stable client but lanterns and lamps don't lighten the area around them.  Whether they are on or off, the brightness of the scene is not affected.  There is a glow around them but no change to the rest of the area.  Same in caves.

If you got the dynamic lights limited to 1 nothing won't be lighted up as the primary light is sun/moon.

Best to set it to 8 (anything above will cause a huge performance drop)

I have it set to this, but I have noticed that unlike before, I have no longer any need for lanters. Caves are completely lighted up and I can see just fine even in clomplete darkness. What causes this? Can this be improved?

Noticed this as well.  I've had dynamiclights turned off, set to 8, and currently at 16.. no need for lanterns anymore.

Well, this isn't an improvement as far as I can see (pun intended).  Not at all "immersive".

Can that setting be changed in-game?  Or only before you press "Play"?

The default brightness of the (soon-to-be defunct) client is currently far too dark at night, even with high-quality lamps and lanterns, so the brightness of the new client is a welcome change. Just need lanterns and lamps to add to it, and it'll be perfect on that front.

P.S. "muh immersion" is a stupid excuse; some (most?) of us like to actually have the ability to see in darker situations without abusing things like contrast.

P.P.S. Please have rarity actually make a difference with lamps and lanterns.

Edited by Delacroix

I think there should be a balance between seeing nothing, and being able to see like if the room was lit. Whats the point of lamps if I can see everything wherever I walk around? I'm not talking seeing shapes, or knowing where I am walking: I am talking that I can see everything like a fully lit room. I also haven't messed around with my settings or anything, so is not that.

On 8/30/2017 at 0:40 PM, Morhedron said:

Well, this isn't an improvement as far as I can see (pun intended).  Not at all "immersive".

If you like, you can turn gamma down in settings to darken things up considerably.