Sign in to follow this  
Lumbro

Floor boards over marsh next to highway gained protection

Recently completed a section of highway. Then went to clear some of the marsh next to it when this happened.

Zlc68lv.jpg

Placed a floor board over some marsh next to a section of highway, and the floor board cannot now be removed. This was after the highway was finished. The floor board is 2 tiles from nearest catseye.

The marsh tile was due east of the protected tile.

The protected tile is paved only in the SW corner.

When the floor board was laid, as expected, the east quarter side of the protected tile changed to floor board.

The unexpected bit was the protection extending too, to cover the floor board tile

I cannot remove the floor board.

This is on Independence. It's in the perimerter of Calico Shores, on the south side

Edited by Lumbro
Fixed image

Couldn't get the image to be inline to the post, sorry. It kept going red when I tried.

Sorted it

Edited by Lumbro

Probably need to file a /support ticket to have a GM remove the boards. I am not sure it will count as a "bug" since I think the floorboards count as road paving.

It should come up rarely enough that a support ticket is the easiest way to solve.

And they won;t look here, you need to file it ingame.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

It's filed here because it happening at all is a bug.

It's not a request to come and fix it in game. It would be nice though if a future patch fixed it.

When you plant a catseye, it protects 9 tiles of pavement (in order to protect 3 tile wide highways).   You can verify what tiles are going to be protected before you plant the eye via view protection.  If you have pavement on tiles that you wish to remove, do so before planting the eye.

You can always bash/pry the eyes which are protecting the tile, remove it, then plant a new eye in order to put the highway back to it's valid state.

1 hour ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Probably need to file a /support ticket to have a GM remove the boards. I am not sure it will count as a "bug" since I think the floorboards count as road paving.

You should have used more words to explain why you didn't think it was a bug :) because you could be right.

I just re-read the highway document. The placement of the catseye had confused me into thinking it's only the 4 tiles around it that are protected. When in actual fact, the catseye is protecting the tile it is in the NW corner of and the 8 tiles that surround it. So yes, you are probably right, adding the floor board made it think I was adding to the highway, and as its in the 3x3 area that can be protected it did.

This is a right pain if that is the case, as that means I cannot remove any of the marsh on the east side of the road.

We need a better way to remove marsh that does not count as "paving"!

5 minutes ago, Alectrys said:

When you plant a catseye, it protects 9 tiles of pavement (in order to protect 3 tile wide highways).   You can verify what tiles are going to be protected before you plant the eye via view protection.  If you have pavement on tiles that you wish to remove, do so before planting the eye.

Actually you cannot see in advance. Look at the picture, the tile due south of the protected one is not showing any protection highlight.

Edited by Lumbro

Wait, what? How do you view protection "before" you plant a catseye?

Actually, I think I am returning to saying this is a bug. The floor board was added "after" the catseye was laid

In my view, protection should only be given to paving that exists when the catseye was laid.

5 minutes ago, Lumbro said:

Actually you cannot see in advance. Look at the picture, the tile due south of the protected one is not showing any protection highlight.

I get what you are saying now.  You placed the floor board AFTERWARDS.  The protection highlights just paved tiles, so the grass would not have shown before hand.  However, knowing it's a 9 block of protection would have been a clue.

Unfortunately, we're learning a lot as we work this out.  I know that I tried to build a building on a 3 tile 'offshoot' of a highway which was already paved and got the message that I can't build a building on a highway.  I should have unpaved, built the house, then planted the eyes.  For now, a lot of us are learning/remembering by our mistakes and hopefully can pass our knowledge along to others.  

Not a bug, but maybe could be opened as a discussion on the suggestion forum of a better way to see protection even if the tiles are not paved.

22 minutes ago, Alectrys said:

Not a bug, but maybe could be opened as a discussion on the suggestion forum of a better way to see protection even if the tiles are not paved.

That floor board isn't even remotely valid as a road. Its got a 72 slope on the south side of it. Doesn't this new system even care about that?

What about the griefing potential of someone messing up the terrain next to a highway, then paving over the messed up terrain to lock it in because they know the system will adopt the paving as it is added.

Edited by Lumbro

46 minutes ago, Lumbro said:

What about the griefing potential of someone messing up the terrain next to a highway, then paving over the messed up terrain to lock it in because they know the system will adopt the paving as it is added.

Might not be quite as bad as I imagined. Just tested what you could do on a protected tile where the slope was extreme (70+ slope up). You can lower it by digging. So you'd only be stuck with whatever paving someone added while the catseyes are in place.