Ok I've not posted this in the idea section as it's not an idea for change or addition in mechanics but more a community event to ponder.   now it could be laughed right out the door and we leave it there. yet I've been thinking an untapped aspect to wurm is it's social aspect.  and in these meanderings of thought I had pondered the notion of a Xanadu Trail, harkening some US history of the new frontier being settled and what has come to be known as the Oregon Trail.  Here is where itchy feet settlers in hopes to start their dreams and homesteading of government given land to settle the "wild west'.   I was thinking of an overlay on map of informal route to be traced from one starter deed that wound through each of the starter deeds ending at the last one reached.  players, preferably new players would set out on food with one guide (prem player that can command large cart) that has bull mounted large cart , they all build at the start, allowed to lead one cow for milk and cheese. and over a week and half period you traverse this trail setting up campfires, cooking, sharing stories, tenting and bedding down til next leg of the trip. perhaps larges chests are set out with keys given to participants at the onset which will have goodies stashed in it along they way. Upon successful completion a full sent of tools given to the voyagers to then set out with a basic lay of the land and the creatures within it.   crafting and hunting can happen at each way point.  This wold take a group to host/sponsor this endeavor and guides to take time out of their play to lead.  I"m floating this out there as a social event to enhance game experience for new and skilled player alike , a way to explore the map, and to have yet another ongoing group social activity.   I'd like to hear opinions and ideas about this in terms of interest create, feasibility, or if it's just a silly idea.

Edited by Bloodscythe
  • Like 9

Quite feasible since there is several new highways connecting a few of the starter towns. Would be nice if a blazed trial could be started and added on as each group goes thru till it's a complete Xan wide highway.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Talohan said:

Quite feasible since there is several new highways connecting a few of the starter towns. Would be nice if a blazed trial could be started and added on as each group goes thru till it's a complete Xan wide highway.

now this part i really like where each itterative voyager group marks a bit more into legacy

lets say it's moslty gravel path to....you know, the immersion thingy.  way i figure is a separate map could be made from the existing, copied then an overlay brush line of proposed trail..and as it's suggested players could amend if objected to so as to result in path approved by the masses.  I'd have to rely on someone to copy that file, draw squiggly trail proposal then have this forum post, posted as  a sticky in xanadu section.  perhaps a small group could help make the final destination finisher prizes of starter kit tools of +70ql for achiemvent.  I'd be willing to make chests where perms could be set often for each round of participants to access random prizzies.  i'd also be willing to be a guide on the trips with a prem alt, for my part in this contribution.  I'd like to see bits of this start to be worked out and realized.  I have a hunch though a bit hokey at first glance wold be more fun than realized and present great community value..for we all remember the firs ttime we were helped, our formative hours in wurm..and it's my belief those are crucial times a to when a player makes up their mind about the game.  imagine stories of..i met you when, on the xanadu trail the....

Edited by Bloodscythe
  • Like 1

A nice idea I'd say, but difficult to organise because most new players start alone (no group) and soon vanish into the wilderness away from any spawn points. Add time zones to it (mentor and new player would need to have the same play times for several days) and it becomes very difficult to get it done.

I certainly like the general idea however.

• Like 2

Well, actually even if the players are out and about, it can be posted on the in game chat at times to see if there is any interest to start a group in say two days or over the weekend.

Then a time can be setup, based on UTC to meet up and start the adventure. And what if as the group reaches different areas or starter towns they can pickup any others that are interested.

Basically your making a caravan of adventures with safety in numbers to explore and even find maybe a new place to settle and carving a working road that can open up unknown or abandoned areas of Xan.

Like a band of Gypsies. ;)

precisely.  I thought Eobersig made valid points to consider as some impediments.   My thinking is uniques are scheduled, rifts are scheduled and get the masses there from varied time zones, job commitments.  We could use this very approach for the event itself, much as staff does for treasure hunts, and other venues they host for player entertainment and group activity.  once the technical sides of the map and trail overlays can be articulated and posted/sticky on xanadu page, say each month or bi weekly ..whatever works out to seem most able and realisic..a post is made announcing the event, referencing the map and objective, and time table set in advance.  A guide will await the scheduled time with oxen and cow for the eager new pioneers, to build cart and set off on the voyage.  It seems like one of those things that could really coalesce players into a memorable experience.  this post is to server as a idea exchange and gauge the temperature of interest, then if desire is there to logistically plot the project going forward and begin to build group wurm memories.  the scale of xanadu makes this more ideal than other servers for there is more great wilderness and vistas and valleys to traverse.  I myself am eager to make a go of this as it's very different in nature over existing events and compliments and cross pollinates them all with increased things to do

Edited by Bloodscythe
  • Like 1

Hi, I have a slight twist to the idea, perhaps can be a start to gauge people interests. This group event can easily become something as popular as impalong imo.

Have it not restricted to newbies and new alts, and oriented on 'events'. This could be cooperation with deeds to simulates buying stocks and city events. Or fun animals hunting on the steppe where participants can only wield a stick. Or a 'dysentery event' where players have to pick a jar, in which one is filled with bad water (alcohol) to emulates getting sick by such.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rosedragon said:

Hi, I have a slight twist to the idea, perhaps can be a start to gauge people interests. This group event can easily become something as popular as impalong imo.

Have it not restricted to newbies and new alts, and oriented on 'events'. This could be cooperation with deeds to simulates buying stocks and city events. Or fun animals hunting on the steppe where participants can only wield a stick. Or a 'dysentery event' where players have to pick a jar, in which one is filled with bad water (alcohol) to emulates getting sick by such.

I'd hope as this thing begins to take shape that it swirls and twists and has spin off stuff tht's attached to it.  It's not meant soley for noobs but thought it'd be of value to new players for meeting new people, community is key to make or break in this game.  I'm forever grateful for my start and never forget and pay forward that experience.  this ongoing event would be great for existing players alike to either from an alliance or set of friends to customize and say the're gonna build stills along the way and drink and howl at the moon and have internal contests of who kills the most hell hounds along the trip like mini golf wurm style so so many things  you could do as an offshoot, the trek could become a burning man type congregation/event wurm style

• Like 2

Now that sounds like a thing for everybody to get in on. :P  I could see that happening, since a lot of people have talked about having hostels and no one been thru to use them or the attached facilities.

• Like 2

Nice idea. 

As I'm building an Inn at O20 I'd love something like that to take in the road I'm on. ? The road does come down past me and then to p22 area. To get to the starter town down there there would need to be some road work done and maybe a bridge or two.

Although as you said it might not be an existing road. I'd be happy to have new roads carved out past me, hell I'd even work it into my deed somehow. Would be great to have a group of travellers stop for some trail grub and drink. Well once I get built and make some food/drink lol. 

I don't get a ton of time, but if it ever comes my way I'll do my best to aid any weary travelers. ?

I shall be watching this thread with interest. 

• Like 1

In fact you just gave me an idea. After I build my inn I'll build a public crafting hall. So anyone  staying at the inn, or passing can use. 

?

Edited by yetian
  • Like 2

so what's  happening with this.. I am ready to start at off at vrock landing or anywhere connected.. I have lots of free time right now... and I assume this will be a slow moving transit type cavalcade .. so lets do it.. if no one else wants to ill start it off..
 and see where go and who we can pickup.. ill bring enuf food and cotton for a long trip.. any takers...