Sign in to follow this  
Batta

Extremely long startup

Just since the last update, when I open Steam, then click the Play button for Wurm Unlimited, it takes an EXTREMELY long time to see the list of servers. If I want to change names and try clicking another name on my list, again it takes an unreasonably long time.  I'm talking about 15-20 minutes to even see the list of servers, and another 15-20 minutes to change login names.  Sometimes I get a "not responding" error message and have to start the whole half hour process again.  Very frustrating and time consuming.  Once I get the login name I want to use, I'm able to click the server name right away, it's all as quick as ever to connect.

I have other games on Steam, and none of them are having this issue, just WU.  Every other game pops up within the usual few seconds.

Does anyone know what's going wrong here?  

I had this same issue. Switching from one character to another character would take minutes. After a while simply launching the launcher took long minutes.  It got to the point where I even uninstalled/reinstalled the game to fix it, but there is an easier fix. 

Check your file named keybindings.txt, you will probably find it is bloated to 10MB or so and contains  thousands and thousands of duplicate lines. Thats why it takes so long to switch characters or open the launcher. 

The file is usually located at: \steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\PlayerFiles\configs\default

I think if you rename it to BROKEkeybindings.txt or move it to another folder or even simply delete it, it will make a fresh vanilla default one and your launcher will be zippyfast again. There are some other ways to save/rescue  your old keybindings mentioned below. .  

There were some threads here before, i will try to locate. There is a fix on WO servers so I imagine in time it will make its way to WU. For now, replacing the file with a clean vanilla file will solve it for a few weeks or months at a time.

One of these should have a fix you can live with until WU gets the new fixed client.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

5 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I had this same issue. Switching from one character to another character would take minutes. After a while simply launching the launcher took long minutes.  It got to the point where I even uninstalled/reinstalled the game to fix it, but there is an easier fix. 

Check your file named keybindings.txt, you will probably find it is bloated to 10MB or so and contains  thousands and thousands of duplicate lines. Thats why it takes so long to switch characters or open the launcher. 

The file is usually located at: \steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher\PlayerFiles\configs\default

I found the file, and it was almost 13MB large. I deleted it, and just like you predicted, almost INSTANT connection to the game again!  

Thank you so much for this help!  <3