Sign in to follow this  
Ulviirala

[Released] PVEpLands Mark and Recall - Quick travel mod

This mod was commissioned to me earlier this year, and I've gotten the express wish for it to be released as open source after some time of exclusive availability to the PVEpLands server. To my knowledge, it has easily become one of the most appreciated convenience mods.

Key features:

• Craft recall runes and mark a location on it, and recall to it.
  • Several config options allow it to be an easily accessible, an end-game feature, or something inbetween.
  • Config can be reloaded during server runtime without restarting.

Download: https://github.com/dmon82/MarkAndRecall/releases

For the not-so-adventurous, here are the mod and config details:

Spoiler

Recall runes are chiseled from marble bricks and improved, using a skill that is configurable, at a difficulty that is configurable. By default this is Channeling, adding a way to grind the skill without endlessly casting your lowest favour spell.

Marking and recalling with runes can have no requirements, recalling from one side of the server to the other, making it an easily accessible feature. They can also be as safe as disallowing marking and recalling into water, lava, solid rock, and very steep areas.

Or... require runes to be excessively high QL, make them take damage on use, require a minimum QL to be usable, require favour to cast on, limit the distance they work on by quality level, favour consumed, or hard distance limits. And be as dangerous as being able to be marked in an ocean, in a pit of lava, or just over the edge of a mountain.

By default, recalling also has a lightning and sound effect, that lights up very pretty at night I've been told. Creatures led with a rope will also follow the recaller. Invisible GMs will not get a lightning effect, and the sound is inaudible to everybody else.

Edited by Ulviirala
  • Like 6

An excellent travel assistant mod similar to the Runes in Ultima Online. A great option to have available in WU (would be even better for WO). One thing though, in UO they had Rune Books which would hold a number of these when added to them. Then just open and click the dot on the page. The Rune Books did need to be charged though, although I think that could be made unnecessary. I hope some of the WU servers I play on will add this Rune system to them and any attached requirements be minimal. Well done!

=Ayes=

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Governor said:

The lightning effect on recall does not seem to work when turned on.

Maybe an oversight? The litning effect is tied into the weather. Has to be storming to make that effect work without some extra modding.

1 hour ago, Governor said:

The lightning effect on recall does not seem to work when turned on.

1 hour ago, Xyp said:

Maybe an oversight? The litning effect is tied into the weather. Has to be storming to make that effect work without some extra modding.

Hm, that would be new to me, the lightning effect has always worked and was not weather dependent. My best guess is, you're using it as GM while invisible. Invisible GMs do not create the lightning effect on arrival, and no ambient sound is played (only the personal sound). If you're not an invisible GM, we'll have to have a look ;) or maybe it's a mod conflict, but that feels less likely.

Edited by Ulviirala

Hey Ulviirala

I like your mods, the mod for the treasure maps is also awesome.

I like that you are also (after friya -loottables) make mods where you can change the settings without restarting the server, i hope a lot of new mods will come with this feature. 

Happy wurming

Eject

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ulviirala said:

Hm, that would be new to me, the lightning effect has always worked and was not weather dependent. My best guess is, you're using it as GM while invisible. Invisible GMs do not create the lightning effect on arrival, and no ambient sound is played (only the personal sound). If you're not an invisible GM, we'll have to have a look ;) or maybe it's a mod conflict, but that feels less likely.

I was on a GM but was visible. I used a non-GM player to watch me as I used it to test. I will test it with only that mod loaded and report back if I find anything useful.

This mod is a god send!  I just have a question since I was a huge UO fan,  is there any way to make it work like it did in UO? Recall warps only you back but cast a portal to bring animals and stuff through and also let the people around you go through?  And would it also be possible to make Rune Books to put these in and add charges to them?

• Like 1

I see in the mod options the ability to recall animals you are leading.  Any chance of including dragged and / or embarked vehicles?  Even if it means I have to disembark and unhitch / lead my horses, it'd be nice to drag my large cart through the recall with me.  :)

The first time I recalled, the sound freaked me out, so I changed it to sound.birdsong.bird9 - much nicer than the sound of zombies, lol.

Im having an issue with this mod whenever i need to restart the server. Im using 1.7 so latest verison of the server. when i first added the mod it all worked fine. no issues i changed some settings in game reloaded settings became effective. then i tried to restart server after shutting it down for a backup. Upon trying to restart the server it crashes during the load process. i have added the relative section from server.log. to make it work i need to replace the MarkAndRecall.properties file and then the server loads without issues and i can start the server. Please help.

[05:35:01 PM] SEVERE org.gotti.wurmunlimited.serverlauncher.DelegatedLauncher: Missing property classname for mod MarkAndRecall
org.gotti.wurmunlimited.modloader.classhooks.HookException: Missing property classname for mod MarkAndRecall
    at org.gotti.wurmunlimited.modloader.ModInstanceBuilder.createModInstance(ModInstanceBuilder.java:53)
    at org.gotti.wurmunlimited.modloader.ModLoaderShared.lambda$loadModsFromModDir$1(ModLoaderShared.java:141)
    at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$3$1.accept(ReferencePipeline.java:193)
    at java.util.ArrayList$ArrayListSpliterator.forEachRemaining(ArrayList.java:1382)
    at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:481)
    at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:471)
    at java.util.stream.ReduceOps$ReduceOp.evaluateSequential(ReduceOps.java:708)
    at java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(AbstractPipeline.java:234)
    at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.collect(ReferencePipeline.java:499)
    at org.gotti.wurmunlimited.modloader.ModLoaderShared.loadModsFromModDir(ModLoaderShared.java:143)
    at org.gotti.wurmunlimited.serverlauncher.DelegatedLauncher.main(DelegatedLauncher.java:20)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
    at javassist.Loader.run(Loader.java:286)
    at org.gotti.wurmunlimited.serverlauncher.ServerLauncher.main(ServerLauncher.java:33)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
    at PatchedLauncher.main(PatchedLauncher.java:20)

On 8/29/2017 at 4:22 AM, Ulviirala said:

This mod was commissioned to me earlier this year, and I've gotten the express wish for it to be released as open source after some time of exclusive availability to the PVEpLands server. To my knowledge, it has easily become one of the most appreciated convenience mods.

Key features:

• Craft recall runes and mark a location on it, and recall to it.
  • Several config options allow it to be an easily accessible, an end-game feature, or something inbetween.
  • Config can be reloaded during server runtime without restarting.

We just discovered that players are able to mark runes on other players' deeds, even though they have no permissions on those deeds at all.  It's a PvE server, non-Epic. Here are our settings:

# Can you mark runes in villages or village perimeters
# even though you don't have the Cast Spell permission?
#
# On PvP servers, you may always cast spells in villages.
# You should not be able to mark in houses though.
#
# [default: false]
villageMark=false

Is it possible that people in the new Trusted Friends category automatically get this ability?  Or does the mod just need a tweak?

Edited by Batta

@Ulviirala

Players are still able to mark runes on other people's deeds, even if they don't have any permissions on the deed. Is it possible to get a fix, please?  

Edited by Batta

So just out of curiosity, what negative impact does marking a rune on someones deed and recalling have?  Truly not trolling here.  I've thought about this since it was brought up in December and couldn't think of any real downside.  Building permission are still respected and no other settlement permissions are being overridden.

I guess to say it a different way, what permission is being violated that wouldn't be just as vulnerable without the rune?

If I am able to mark a rune, I"m already on deed.  I could just as well log off and log in later if I wanted, but even then, if deed permissions are locked down, there isn't much I can do.

I can look into changing this, especially since it's name associates it to my server but I never understood the vulnerability that this issue exposed and sorta blew off the concern.  Maybe I"m missing something, though we use this mod daily.  

13 minutes ago, Ikeprof said:

So just out of curiosity, what negative impact does marking a rune on someones deed and recalling have? 

If I am able to mark a rune, I"m already on deed.  I could just as well log off and log in later if I wanted, but even then, if deed permissions are locked down, there isn't much I can do.

I'm not really debating this point, just wanting the feature to work as it was intended.  There are dozens of ways a player could troll another by marking runes on their deed, inside pens that aren't fully built yet, inside partially finished buildings, and so on.  All the mod was supposed to do was to uphold the deed permissions already in place, and enforce the permissions given by door and gate locks.  The reason for this is the same as the reason for locks and permissions at all. It closes loopholes that competitive players exploit.  

But I'd rather not turn this into a "how to," explaining to selfish players how to grief their fellow players, lol.

Edited by Batta

Just now, Ikeprof said:

LOL it was my design document.  

Not sure what that means.

2 hours ago, Jerone0601 said:

Last I heard Ulviirala was stepping away from Wurm modding. 

Oh, that's a shame.

I hope the recall runes will still work after the WU update.

2 minutes ago, Batta said:

Not sure what that means.

I wrote up the initial design and paid money to have this mod developed for my server based upon Ultima Online recall runes.  After a period of time went by I asked that  it be released to the public for everyone to use, same with treasure hunting maps etc.

I've since learned the basics of modding, but this was way before that time.

Recall runes work fine with the new update, though i need to check one thing to make sure they aren't applying a spell effect.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ikeprof said:

Recall runes work fine with the new update

Oh good, thanks.  Will you maintain the mod from now on, then?  Or do we just enjoy it until it breaks.

No I will update it tomorrow.

Right now it will show a tentacle effect and cause minor area damage when a player recalls in.

I assumed that I did that only to my local version of the mod at some point when I was testing something, but I just looked and it's actually in the official code.

So just ignore any tentacles until I can push something out LOL

We didn't go with the beta on our server, so we're still working fine.  No tentacles or area damage.  ?

This removes the tentacles and the area damage.  

https://github.com/Ikeprof/MarkAndRecall/releases/tag/1.9

No other features were modified. 

I barely understand how to use Github and I'm 99% sure I didn't follow established convention by failing to do a pull request or some such voodoo on the original branch.

Regardless, this should work.

• Like 1