Sign in to follow this  
Mclavin

Farming Underground Trough

b67e6b401467c88017cc81852f577887--horse-
Some references for trough types
cc7f8bd1a4fe8fd8057a17239f6f6bf8.jpg
I'd like to see boxes like these^ but different things growing

I'd like to see wooden/stone/marble/brick/pottery troughs, an item we can build and use underground for farming.
When you build a trough you will have to fill it with 100 dirt and after each harvest you will have to refill a random amount of lost dirt.
Each trough would be 1 sqaure tile in your cave and you'll have to 'plant' the trough on the tile before planting seeds...Once seeds are sow'd you wont be able to move the trough in anyway until harvest is done.
Also watering may need to be done.

You could go further and have lights a reqirement for growing. But limitations to everything is open so post below what you'd like to see farmed or not farmed.

Certain restrictions to plants/veg type could apply, no trees.

To make it clear, we'd go with a fungai based farm and moss etc...This could be high end farming for high end cooking with some high end alchemy.

You could have more decorative troughs for smaller plants just for cosmetic reasons outside houses etc.

eff7b578e2f7d27875be81ebcf0f3f41.png
https://gyazo.com/eff7b578e2f7d27875be81ebcf0f3f41

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 4

As much as the cave-dwelling troglodyte in me wants to give this a plus-one, I've got to pooh-pooh it unless it's limited to mushrooms only. Plants need sunlight and no amount of torch-light can make up for it.

• Like 1

As a Dutch person i can confirm, growing plants underground is pretty common here ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pyro said:

+1 for pve, -1 for pvp

Why must there always be a split? Why -1 for pvp, what impact is this having on pvp lol.

This is a difficult one. I would say +1 to this, if the light sources are a requirement. Considering plants actualy need UV light, but since wurm already takes a ###### on a lot how it should be, any light should be sufficient. I would also add the need to water them.

+1 pvp, -1 pve. Pvp'ers need more save farming areas, no need on pve lands. Serious thought, absolutly no need to differentiate stuff between pve and pvp, in a normal game, that just determines who you are playing against, not all this other ###### with limitations and features wurm has already developped.

Houses and bridges do make underground make more sense? Witlof is grown in the dark, thus it happens irl.

+1

-1 as wurm dont have the lamps needed to grow stuff underground and to be honest those lamps feel wrong for the time/age wurm are at.

22 hours ago, Rathgar said:

-1 it doesnt make sense.

3 hours ago, Daash said:

-1 as wurm dont have the lamps needed to grow stuff underground and to be honest those lamps feel wrong for the time/age wurm are at.

Watch while I amaze you with a simple solution to anything that doesnt make sense in a game... Magic.

If it doesnt make sense, just bless something so it does. Thats how lamps last forever off deed. Unless you want to make it more difficult, like a bless from Fo.

+1, whatever it takes for people to live where they want and make what they want from the available resources around them.

• Like 1

Exactly, well worded, the resources available. This OP is asking for new resources to be made available, I dont think it should be as easy as "let people do whatever", that works for a creative mode type of game, not for a survival one. Particularly if you want to keep a semblance of realism or suspension of disbelief.

Why not grow crops on naked paved tiles? why not grow crops on top of horses backs?

On 8/28/2017 at 2:55 PM, Pyro said:

+1 for pve, -1 for pvp

What pvp? What the 3 players on Epic will suddenly become pvp gods if we get throughs in mines? Seriously sir? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rathgar said:

Exactly, well worded, the resources available. This OP is asking for new resources to be made available, I dont think it should be as easy as "let people do whatever", that works for a creative mode type of game, not for a survival one. Particularly if you want to keep a semblance of realism or suspension of disbelief.

Why not grow crops on naked paved tiles? why not grow crops on top of horses backs?

yes i am asking for new resources, welcome to suggestions.

My suggestion was well within reason and had some added work and restrictions to what can be planted, which was left open for more, to even just mushrooms, getting dirt to fill the troughs, watering and as previously said blessing each tile.

Suggesting that my idea is similar to putting crops on horses backs???
Realism? I'm on a 5 speed unicorn with golden rare horseshoes running over enchanted grass looking over at Sol Demons, no gumps and now running into my underground cave house in which the lights off deed are blessed to stay alight forever.

But yes my idea is pushing the boundaries of realism within wurm. Enchanted grass is fine tho. :lol:

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 2

One per tile (e don't want a repeat of the trellis nonsense) and new crops, various edible fungi, lichens and mosses (vegetables). Between this and cave fish you should be able to have a workable and distinct underground agriculture.

• Like 2

for sure 1 per tile.

Like the idea of lichens and mosses, we should scrap any idea of corn etc

using different types fungai, mosses etc etc...Could even dip into the world of alchemy here and make this a high end farming update with ties to potions. 

Edited by Mclavin

56 minutes ago, Mclavin said:

yes i am asking for new resources, welcome to suggestions.

My suggestion was well within reason and had some added work and restrictions to what can be planted, which was left open for more, to even just mushrooms, getting dirt to fill the troughs, watering and as previously said blessing each tile.

Suggesting that my idea is similar to putting crops on horses backs???
Realism? I'm on a 5 speed unicorn with golden rare horseshoes running over enchanted grass looking over at Sol Demons, no gumps and now running into my underground cave house in which the lights off deed are blessed to stay alight forever.

But yes my idea is pushing the boundaries of realism within wurm. Enchanted grass is fine tho. :lol:

As expected, you got stuck on the realism swamp, even though I gave you the perfect suspension of disbelief route to tread on.

Growing some sort of mushroom would be good, but growing green vegetables underground, lit by torches, just seems silly to me. And notice how your unicorn has 4 legs and is somewhat anatomically correct for that type of creature. What you are basically asking for is to ride a whale on dry land. And you try to excuse yourself by mentioning enchanted grass. At this point I think you are not arguing in good faith and ignoring a good point that does conflict with your outlandish suggestion.

either way, for the things I already mentioned, still -1, having enchanted grass does not convince me that we should be able to grow vegetables or fuits without any sun light. At least not the ones that are available in-game.

31 minutes ago, Rathgar said:

either way, for the things I already mentioned, still -1, having enchanted grass does not convince me that we should be able to grow vegetables or fuits without any sun light. At least not the ones that are available in-game.

but i can put enchanted grass in these pens and there are no windows or sunlight. What if I keep my cave door open :P

21302ba04e798844ad7b5f1492ea0abc.jpg

grow vegetables or fuits without any sun light

Think the suggestion is heading more towards fungus type plants at this point and as stated, I did say options would be limited AND KEPT IT OPEN for more limitations, you're the one who seems stuck on one point here; fruits-veg in caves. 

Even tho i said myself in my OP 

Certain restrictions to plants/veg type could apply, no trees.

eff7b578e2f7d27875be81ebcf0f3f41.png

At this point I think you are not arguing in good faith and ignoring a good point that does conflict with your outlandish suggestion.

go quote where i said veg. because...

Like the idea of lichens and mosses, we should scrap any idea of corn etc

My suggestion was well within reason and had some added work and restrictions to what can be planted, which was left open for more, to even just mushrooms

limitations to everything is open so post below what you'd like to see farmed or not farmed.

And i updated this after

To make it clear, we'd go with a fungai based farm and moss etc...This could be high end farming for high end cooking with some high end alchemy.

Then after all this YOU say

Growing some sort of mushroom would be good

Followed by

you are not arguing in good faith and ignoring a good point that does conflict with your outlandish suggestion.

we had the same idea tho and it was mentioned by other people. 

as expected you got stuck on

So who's stuck on what point here? 

Edited by Mclavin

We have trolls that are sunlight resistance :blink: and dogs that with fire on their back. I dont see then how plants that dont need a lot of sunlight are a stretch of realism.

Also, caves are not completly dark without lamps in wurm, so some kind of light is getting throug the soil and ceiling.

• Like 1

I do believe tho Chlodovech that cave farms should have their own unique stuff to grow, you won't be given the option to plant these on normal farms, just like you have to plant rice in water tiles, 
i think it's very cool having 2 different types of farms in different environments growing different things. 

I understand Rathgors point completely, but he's -1 the OP suggestion [that basically says limit veg/certain plants and no trees] and not the individual comments that want to see veg etc, which does not make sense.

I should go -1 all the suggestions because 1 person is asking for something different in the comments below, apparently it invalidates the idea.

Edited by Mclavin