Sign in to follow this  
wizzyizzie

Massive lag in Wurm Unlimited

I am trying to run the game on a laptop and can load the game okay, connect to a server and the main game comes up but the scenery loads slowly and my character only moves jerkily from five to 10 seconds between steps making the game unplayable.

I thought maybe it was something to do with the ram but we have the game on a PC with 8GB ram and it works well, just not on the laptop.

The laptop specs are:

HP Pavilion dv6-6137TX

Intel® Core ™ i7-2630QM CPU@2.00 GHz 2.00 GHz

Display adaptors: Intel ® HD Graphics and Radeon™ HD 6770M

RAM: HP 621569-001 8 GB

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium Service pack 1 64-bit

I have tried altering graphics settings etc as suggested in posts without any change in performance.

It is set to run on the Radeon GPU at high performance.

With the game on my Physical memory Usage is 52% and CPU usage 1-3%.

I have also asked this on the Steam forums.

I have a log file but it is huge and I am not sure how to load it here without loading all the text.

I would like to hear from anyone who has had the same problem and has found a solution.

Thanks.

Go ahead and run the log file here, use notepad to open the file, Edit>Select ALL > Copy, Edit Select All > Paste. It's huge but we want to see all of it.

Some people use "spoiler tags" to hide all the long text but its ok in the tech section to run it all

Your laptop should run the game fine without such problems.  Your laptop has very good specs. The first thing we want to check is to confirm it is actually using the radeon not the Intel graphics,.and also confirm what settings you are using.

You can also try in the settings tab of the launcher, (it looks like a little GEAR icon)  to turn down or completely off: all shadows and reflections, bloom, particle effects, all anti aliasing, possibly even GLSL shaders under Compatability tab.

Try launching the game in Windows resizeable 800x600  and not Fullscreen. Yes it is to  small to play but let it load up that way and only then enlarge it to full the screen after it loads ok.

Try also the settings listed here:  

Mostly we need to see the console log file.

One other question -- is the laptop connecting via wireless internet and the desktop using a cabled connection plugin? You might try plugging in an internet cable into the laptop and see if it runs better that way than through a wireless wifi.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Many thanks for getting back to me.

Log file below.

I have tried turning everything to lower settings and Windows resizeable 800x600.

Thanks for including the link, I had already found and tried that.

I have just tried running it with an Ethernet cable direct to the laptop but no change.

Today I set Steam's FPS counter to run and it is showing just 1 FPS in game.

Thanks again for your help.

http://java.oracle.com

Sorry, I am new to this. I selected and copied as you said but when I pasted into here I just got the link above.

Yeah that's not the log, just a link to Java.

The next thing to try is to instead upload the file someplace where the rest of us can access it. Google Drive is one sort of place, another is something like the following file uploaders: Whichever one seems easiest to use:

(I have not tested all of these so no particular one i can recommend, if you find one hard to use just try a different one, one of them should work out. I  prefer ones that do not ask for my email or require me to register)

https://drive.google.com

http://www.tinyupload.com/

http://yourfilelink.com/

http://www.filehosting.org/

Getting 1 FPS on a system as nice as yours, is very strange. Even people with extremely poor systems, and I mean ten year old computers with only intel graphics and 2 to 4 gigs of ram,  can usually get into the teens for framerates.

So something is very wrong, I am not sure what it is. I looked at the HP Support site for your model  and I noticed the most recent driver they have listed for your Radeon-Intel switchable graphics is 2011, it's possible that at some stage Windows Update tried to substitute in a generic microsoft driver that supports DirectX but not OpenGL, but the console.log should tell us what the driver version is. Usually though Win7 is less likely to mess up drivers than Win10. The fact you can still access Catalyst Control panel is a good sign. 

Also, I would try temporarily turning off Steam Overlay as that has caused issues in some cases. You can turn it back on if it does not help. Under Steam Library - Wurm Unlimited - rightclick PROPERTIES, I think it is on the first tab, uncheck Overlay.  

While you are on the properties tab, besides turning off Overlay, also have it verify local files. It is possible the problem is one severely messed up / corrupted file.

* also on catalyst Control Panel, try setting global options to turn off all anti aliasing options  / text anti aliasing (you can turn it back if this makes no difference)

Also since this may be a much older 2011 driver,  make sure catalyst AI is turned off (I will have to google how to do this in 2011 driver versions if not clear)

Greetings again.

I have tried Google Drive and a link is below.

I tried turning off the Steam overlay and verified the local files.

In the Catalyst Control Centre I found anti aliasing under Gaming, 3D Application Settings and turned it off. Did not see text.

Under Catalyst AI I did not find an off option. There is a Texture Filtering Quality slider which is set to the middle (Quality).

Underneath this is Enable Surface Format Optimisation which is ticked.

None of these changes made any difference.

Sorry to be such a pain, I am thinking maybe something is wrong with the computer.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byz7Ni5c_bVoOG1zREtWOFcyZDg/view?usp=sharing

Even though you are trying to use the radeon, it is using the intel graphics:

=== OpenGL information ===
LWJGL version: 2.9.1
Adapter info: igdumd64 (8.15.10.2476)
OpenGL vendor: Intel
OpenGL renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
OpenGL version: 3.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2476

So next step is, why is it doing that when you told it to use radeon?

What I would try is right clicking the Wurm shortcut and see if there is an option to UseAMD/ radeon 6770M or Use High Performance Dedicated or something like that

if that is not a right click option, see if there is a GLOBAL or POWER option to "always use high performance dedicated radeon" something like that (it will use battery power MUCH faster in this setting, so may need to switch back if you depend on using battery at times.)

Check also if you can rightclick desktop and get Configure Switchable Graphics and switch from Power Saving to High Performance

From another source, "You may need to open graphics then PowerPlay and set plugged in and/or battery to maximize performance. "

Also try setting graphics settings to "max Quality" instead of fastest performance, in case that kicks it up from intel to radeon. Even though you are getting 1 FPS, there are times when turning settings UP not DOWN actually activates the fancier card. 

Check under regular Control Panel > System > Device manager > Display Adapter and see whether it lists both the radeon and the Intel. 

______

If none of that helps, try using  this driver from HP for your laptop in case your original driver got overwritten at some point:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-dv6-6100-entertainment-notebook-pc-series/5082212/model/5131523

Use the TOP driver 

AMD High-Definition Graphics Driver

system software Manager Icon  
8.882.2.3000   339.0 MB  Nov 18, 2011

For notebooks with switchable graphics modes, this package includes drivers for both graphics processing units (GPUs). Switchable graphics enable users to switch between a power-saving graphics mode (normally used under battery power) and a high-performance graphics mode. If high-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) video output is supported, this package also installs the HDMI Audio Driver.

_____

Unfortunately, every few years the catalyst drivers change around the way they do this, and I think you have one of the early version laptops with Switchable graphics.. I am pretty sure once we find a way to force it to use the radeon, it will run fine in wurm.

Also, this issue comes up a LOT so its not something you need to apologize fir :D its just tricky sometimes getting the dedicated card to run on JAVA games, because a lot of time the driver software "autodetects" all java as a desktop app not a game.  

Firstly thank you for all the time and effort you have been putting in trying to resolve this issue.

I am not sure what Wurm shortcut you are referring to so was not able to alter settings there.

I was able to switch from Power Saving to High Performance and changed PowerPlay  plugged in and battery to maximum performance.

The device manager shows both the Radeon and the Intel.

The HP driver is already 8.882.2.3000.

After the changes I went back to Wurm and connected but it is the same. Each step forward or back takes 7-10 seconds.

And the log still shows it is running on the Intel graphics.

Now for the bad bit.

After all that I decided to reinstall the CCC. I uninstalled the ATI Catalyst install manager and all components and went to AMD and downloaded Catalyst Software Suite 15.7.1 Unfortunately I am now getting message " Catalyst Control Centre cannot be started there are currently no settings that can be configured".

Back in the Device Manager it says the device is working and the driver is up to date.

I need to sort this before we can go any further and it will now be tomorrow before I can get back to it.

Will post more when that is sorted.

Thanks for your patience.     

The "shortcut" would be from going to steam library, right click WURM UNLIMITED and see if there is anything about launching with the radeon (might not be there, depends on the game plus graphics driver versions)

Alternatively, you can try going to the wurm folder at \steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmLauncher

right click the file WurmLauncher.EXE and SENDTO > DESKTOP

then try right clicking that shortcut for an option to launch with the radeon

(this may not work, it does for SOME switchable laptops)

I read around and a TON of people with the dv6 model, have problems with openGL games (Wurm is an OpenGL game) .

HP Support page finally acknowledged this is a problem on their end, see this section:

HP Pavillion dv6 : games using Intel(R) HD Graphics instead AMD radeon HD 7470M

(this is a slightly different radeon than yours, but same laptop family, and if you read the entire two pages of the thread, you will see it affects all dv6 models. You have a dv6 model.

I also found this page on the HP Support website:

On OpenGL and Switchable Graphics 

GizmoGladstone| July 20, 2011

ATI’s Radeon Mobility switchable graphics capabilities in a PC are an awesome idea. Imagine your computer smartly throttling between a powerful discrete GPU (that plugs into a PC expansion slot) and the more efficient on-board graphics (that sits on the motherboard) depending upon an application’s needs. Trust me, it’s especially handy when you’re on the road and trying to conserve battery power. (I did a story highlighting the difference between the Pavilion dv7 and the Envy 17 3D a couple months back if you want to learn more). That said, an issue has been noted with some software that uses OpenGL – as opposed to DirectX – for 3D graphics rendering. Basically, the AMD drivers that enable dynamic switching will not perform during OpenGL calls. 

switchable.jpgI wanted to give the very latest on where things stand.

If you own a new Intel-based Pavilion dv6 / dv7 with switchable graphics…

The HP Support Assistant will push the update to your computer – so make sure that it’s up-and-running. Otherwise, you can download and install the latest graphics driver (SP 53025) which can be found here: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp53001-53500/sp53025.exe. This download provides Intel Graphics Driver version 8.15.10.2219 to support the Intel GPU in HP notebooks with switchable graphics.

If you own a new Pavilion dv6 / dv7 with switchable graphics and are experiencing problems trying to run Open GL software…

There is a BIOS update in the works that will allow you to switch from the default Dynamic mode to Fixed mode. Switching to Fixed Mode will allow you to run Open GL programs on the AMD Radeon graphics processor. We will let you know as soon as this is available.

For the full, technical details on how Switchable graphics works – and how to configure it – follow this link right here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c02731962

Thanks…and if you have any questions or concerns, feel free to post them below. We are listening and I’ll make sure that your comments get to the right people.

However, even after that 2011 dated announcement, there are later threads (2013) suggesting the issue still continues.

The link they give to  Intel Graphics Driver version 8.15.10.2219 seems to be actually an even OLDER driver, however it is possible it is a version built off the AMD/Intel inhouse drivers and NOT the generic ones written by microsoft.

Microsoft made drivers historically have ZERO support for OpenGL and only support DirectX. Microsoft made DirectX and openGL is a competitor to it, so if you are jaded and cynical you might presume that microsoft is deliberately trying to wreck anyone from using OpenGL with their inhouse drivers. 

So, in this case it is possible the older driver 8.15.10.2219 is a better choice. The reason for the 1FPS is that the current drivers are not supporting openGL at all. 

TRY THIS PAGE AND  SPECIFICALLY LOOK FOR THE BIOS UPDATE THEY MENTION ABOVE:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

edit: this should be your exact model:

HP Pavilion dv6-6137tx Entertainment Notebook PC

Before updating any BIOS software (which is very sensitive), check in your BIOS to see if there is already an option to switch from 'Dynamic' to 'FIXED' graphics,

which should disable the intel graphics and force it to always use radeon. 

The BIOS they list is 2011 and you may already have it, I would never update BIOS unless you are careful and relaxed as it can be a tricky procedure IF anything goes wrong.

also google:

HP Pavillion dv6 and OpenGL games

especially:

HP Notebook PCs - OpenGL Applications Cannot Use Discrete GPU with Intel + AMD Switchable Graphics

OpenGL is not supported on the Discrete GPU when using the Dynamic Switchable Graphics feature. To enable discreet GPU support for OpenGL applications, enable Fixed Mode Switchable Graphics in the BIOS.

which has a picture walkthrough on switching from DYNAMIC to FIXED graphics

Also see if this thread from HP users forum helps:

Re: Updating ATI Radeon 6770m Drivers for HP Pavilion dv6

it talks about finding and using newer drivers than the ones on the normal support page, and changing the BIOS setting. 

I am going through as many of those as I can to look for proven solutions.

Sorry that this has been such a long and frustrating process for you.

Greetings,

Thanks for the above.

Still working on it.

Have removed CCC for now and have downloaded the older Intel driver and will try to install tomorrow.

There is no provision to launch with Radeon on either the Steam properties or the shortcut once sent to desktop.

At times it seems like one step forward ten steps back and I have to keep going back to Mr Google to find out how to do things.

But I am learning as I go.

Will update you as to how I get on.

• Like 1

I am sticking with it as long as you are ^_^  

Here are the images of what to do and look for in BIOS:

1. With the power off, make sure the power adapter is connected to the computer and plugged into a power source.
  2. Turn on the computer using the power button and immediately press the F10 key repeatedly until a BIOS Setup utility screen appears.
  3. Press the Right Arrow key to select System Configuration.
  4. Press the Down Arrow key to select Switchable Graphics Mode.
       NOTE: If you do not see Switchable Graphics Mode in the BIOS or it cannot be selected, see the following section Updating the BIOS to enable Fixed Mode.
  5. Press Enter, select Fixed, and press Enter again.
  6. Press F10 and select Yes to save settings and exit.

c03933981.jpg

Greetings again.

Thanks for the piece on the bios.

I tried that and Wurm started and I connected and then there was a moving circle showing something was working and the window came up and disappeared before I could do or check anything.

So I had to revert back to Dynamic.

I have been on this all day and have just ended up where I started.

I have been on Google trying various suggestions and ideas but no joy.

At present I am back to both Intel and AMD showing the same driver 8.882.2.3000 and I cannot get the AMD Catalyst Control Centre to work.

I have completely installed it using Add/Remove programmes, everything in Folder Options, and everything using Regedit.

I then did a fresh install from AMD but when I tried to run it I kept getting AMD Catalyst Control Centre cannot be started. There are currently no settings that can be configured using AMD Catalyst Control Centre.

I Googled this and found many links and tried many things, including downloading and using Driver Display Uninstaller but nothing changed.

I have now uninstalled CCC again.

The problem clearly is not with Wurm and it is not essential to have it running on this computer.

I thank you for all your help and I will probably continue to play around to see if I can get CCC to run but will leave trying to use Wurm for now.

Kind regards, Paul R.

This post in HP user forums suggests trouble running the driver 8.882.2.3000  in games

My understanding is, at this point you would simply like to go back in time to before all this started with changing drivers.

You no longer care about running Wurm on this laptop and just want it functional again. 

If your computer has SYSTEM RESTORE, you should be able to select a restore date from before all of this starting.

From the Control Panel
  1. Log on to your computer as an administrator.
  2. Open the Control Panel by clicking Start, and then clicking Control Panel.
  3. Click System and Security, and then click System.
  4. Under the Control Panel Home menu, click System protection. ...
  5. Click System Restore.
  6. Recommended Restore is the default choice.  ((However, you want a date August 19 or earlier but not TOO much earlier. ))

If SYSTEM RESTORE is not activated, that will not be an option. 

The original driver you started with, was 8.15.10.2476

I was the one who suggested trying the  8.882.2.3000 version, as it was listed as the AMD Radeon driver on the driver page for you laptop, and I clearly gave you bad advice. 

If you would like at this point to simply go back to where you started before all this started, the original 8.15.10.2476 driver is the THIRD driver listed here:

It is listed as: AMD/Intel Switchable High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver 

HP Pavilion dv6-6137tx Entertainment Notebook PC

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-dv6-6100-entertainment-notebook-pc-series/5082212/model/5131523

make sure the non-functioning catalyst Control Center is removed first as it will likely not insatall the CCC original if a newer one is present (even if non working)

do NOT use windows update or device manager to "look for the best driver," do not download from AMD, instead install the  8.15.10.2476 driver at the link above from HP.

Switchable graphic laptops are sometimes very fussy about having versions designed "just for them" so we want the CCC that came with the original  8.15.10.2476

You still won't run wurm (HP has bad drivers overall, as you now know) but at least the laptop should be back to where it was when all this started, and hopefully Catalyst Control Center will start behaving again.

I am really sorry this has been such a frustrating experience.

Greetings again.

Thanks for that.

Sadly I am still having problems.

When I started today the drivers were showing as: Intel 8.882.2.3000 and AMD 8.882.2.3000. Both the same.

There was no Catalyst Control Centre.

I downloaded HP sp55098.exe 8.15.10.2476 from the link you provided but ended up with the error message "This computer does not meet with the minimum requirements for installing the software".

I then went to System Restore and took it back to 18-8-2017.

I then had the same drivers  as above (8.882.2.3000) even though according to the game log of 26-8-2017 it should have been 8.15.10.2476.

No AMD or ATI showing in Programs and Features.

I tried downloading sp55098.exe again but ended up with the same message ".....does not meet minimum requirements.".

At present when I right click on the desktop I have a panel which has in order:

Graphics Properties

Configure Switchable Graphics

View

Sort By

Refresh

Paste (greyed out)

Paste shortcut (greyed out)

Next Desktop Background

Graphics Properties

Graphics Options

New

Screen Resolution

Gadgets

and Personalize

When clicking on the top two (GP and CSG) I just get a spinning circle for a while and then nothing.

The Graphics Properties (nine down) goes to Intel's Graphics and Media Control Panel.

I guess the top two should link to AMD's CCC which is not there because I cannot download sp55098.exe.

I have been on-line checking the error message along with HP sp55098.exe and have seen lots of links but mostly it seems to be people with computers which do not have switchable graphics trying to download the wrong driver.

With my serial number entered and HP sp55098.exe listed as suitable surely it should work.

I just seem to be going round in circles.

I can live with it as it is so please do not feel obliged to try and sort it.

Just updating you on progress.

Kind regards, Paul R.

Ok, I will make a last suggestion. If system restore did not fix it, I would check one last time in BIOS to see what it shows, Fixed or Switchable.  The notes on the BIOS section say that whether it is using AC/DC (wall power vs battery) determines which graphics processor is used for FIXED, so make very sure you had it plugged into the wall and not on battery or it may get "FIXED" on intel as that is the battery  option, and that would explain why Catalyst Control Center etc is no longer functional or the laptop no longer "meets system requirements".   Check also POWER sections to make sure it is not set to have long battery life vs higher performance, as any setting to extend battery life will switch things from radeon to Intel.

When I have a device not working properly, I usually go to CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM > DEVICE MANAGER and delete all troublesome devices, then reboot, and Windows will  redetect the device  (which often solves the issue) and then windows will install whatever driver it thinks appropriate (which is not always the best option, so sometimes I boot into SAFE MODE - F8 at bootup, so that it installs no drivers and lets me pick the driver. 

The fact that system restore did NOT fix it, suggests the answer is not a driver / software issue but something in BIOS or DEVICE MANAGER.

I can understand however if you are a little fed up with trying things and only having things get worse. I am sure you probably want to avoid a complete reinstall of Windows, which is what HP Support will suggest as it "fixes all thing" but at the cost of many of your important personal files -- however the reason HP Support suggests that is because, it usually works (and costs them less staff time than finding the real issue)

Greetings again.

Tried suggestions, no change.

Ran an HP System Repair Disk and back to fresh start. Everything okay, just no Wurm.

Thanks again for all your time and effort.

Kind regards, and Over and Out.