header.png

Room with a view Wilczan (Did I do this one before?)

HI Everyone!
One week since the highway system was introduced, and we've been keeping an eye on feedback and issues raised. We've also got the winners of the tapestry contest and the blossom redesign to announce. It's a winner packed Valrei International today, so let's get started!

Tapestry contest winner(s)!
This tapestry competition had some AMAZING entries, and the entire dev team was blown away by the amount and quality of entries, so we felt it only fair to expand the competition to three winners!

After deliberation, discussion, and perfecting our art critic poses, we have determined the three winners who will see their tapestry ingame (as well as a supreme copy of it upon introduction)

Ehizellbob:

b0EM8dw.png

Mclavin:

3JW3dh4.jpg

Evening:

UJ9xGpf.png

On behalf of the dev team I'd like to congratulate all winners, and thank everyone who entered. This competition has proven to be extremely popular, we might have to look at more ways of getting your content into the game...

We'll be in contact with the winners to sort out the fine print and will see these images ingame in a future update! 

Blossom redesign

There has been some hot competition for the blossom update, and the top place has been close, but the winner of the redesign contest is Joelle with "Blossom Park"!

I'd like to congratulate her and we'll be in touch to organise the start of work.

All designs were amazing, and I'm keen to see more entries for future deed design contests!

Unstable client
With continued work on the unstable client we finally have a date for the switching to stable! Come September 1st we'll be releasing the 4.0 client as the stable version, meaning the current stable one will no longer be the client you receive when you click play.

Obviously this means it's really important that you try it now, we'll be leaving reminders in-game to check it out and report any issues you do have. Trying it now means you avoid issues when it launches as the stable client, so please do!

Feedback on your feedback
Throughout the past week we've been helping with highway questions, and taking your feedback on board. From this we'll be making three changes in the coming updates
1) Planting catseyes is currently at 2 seconds on deed and 10 seconds off deed, this will be changing to 2 seconds on deed and 10 seconds minus .5 seconds for every 10 paving skill. Meaning at 50 skill it will be 7.5 seconds and at 90 skill it will be 5.5 seconds.
2) Many have commented on the brightness of the colours of the waystones, citing them as slightly jarring. The colour of the stone is important as it provides information of links and status, but we'll be looking at dimming the colour somewhat and making it a little more subtle. 
3) Blessed lamps on highway tiles will not take decay.

Mine door updates.
Mine doors are an important part of any deed security, and we've been working on giving them a bit of a makeover, here's the first:

minedoor.png

You vs the guy she tells you not to worry about

That's not all though, coming soon mine doors will have a brand new opening animation:

Community Content

This weeks community content is a Wurm Online fansite, Xanadu or bust! 

http://xanaduorbust.tumblr.com/

This player toured deeds on xanadu and sharing his sights along the way, it doesn't look to be up to date, but certainly gives ideas for travelling and exploring!

That's it from us this week, I hope you're all mining gold and making sheets in preperation for the new mine door(s)! Next news will be the day of the unstable launch, so make sure to try it out! Until then though, keep on wurming! 

Retrograde & The Wurm team.

• Like 28

First

IM A WINNER WOOOO

Thanks to my boy Awardis who inspired me by not playing, still awaiting his come back, hopefully this is it.

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 14

Love the new mine doors, and the timer change on the catseyes is pretty cool too, I think I am done with the 2k I planted though, but maybe I will do a few more now to show off my 90 paving. =p

The new client makes wurm look so sexy, those gamers into game soundtracks will need to revisit wurm and stop calling it ugly.

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 2

Congratulations to the winners, very nice work, and well deserved.

I'll be looking forward to making these once released :)

And those new mine door animations, very nice as well.

• Like 1

Oooo I am looking forward to making some new tapestries in the hopefully near future for my center building, and congrats to the three winners! :) I probably will make more than I need because I love the design of them too much...

Just a comment on mine doors, the new animation and looks is great, but unless you fixed the bug on chaos (and freedom for that matter), they are still fairly useless as for doing the job they are supposed to do.

Edited by JakeRivers

Oh cool, thanks for picking mine as a winner! And grats to the other winners too. I've no idea how you managed to judge so many amazing entries though haha. 

Also those new mine doors are niiiiice ?

• Like 2

It totally wasn't just a barrel of Cerbers triple hops beer and a game of darts...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Just a comment on mine doors, the new animation and looks is great, but unless you fixed the bug on chaos (and freedom for that matter), they are still fairly useless as for doing the job they are supposed to do.

What bug?

As someone with several gold mine doors, I like the old one more; the new one doesn't look enough like actual gold. Could you please adjust the coloring a bit?

• Like 1

I'd agree the new gold door needs to look a bit more like gold, but the design and new animation is amazing!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Delacroix said:

As someone with several gold mine doors, I like the old one more; the new one doesn't look enough like actual gold. Could you please adjust the coloring a bit?

I disagree, I think the new gold mine door looks more gold than the horrible 'green' door. Many of my friends dislike the gold mine door because of it's current color. 

• Like 3

Congrats to Ehizellbob, McLavin and Evening!  Wonderful work, expect to see a lot of naked sheep running around as these get released! :ph34r:

Those mining doors look awesome! 

Their beauty is worthy of the opulence gold mining doors imply.  Great work from the graphics team, as always.

The animation is very cool.  I presume the animation will be generalized to other doors such as wood as well?  What can I say... Opulence, I don't haz it. -_-

@RetrogradeWhere can I find the rules regarding removal of cats eyes so I can be sure to follow them should the need arise?  Would it be possible for this document to be updated?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Mclavin said:

What bug?

oh you know the one, at least your buddies know about it, the one where you can access any on deed/off deed locked mine with what ever the exploit of the day is

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Delacroix said:

1 hour ago, LifesaverM said:

I'd agree the new gold door needs to look a bit more like gold, but the design and new animation is amazing!

53 minutes ago, Mclavin said:

I disagree, I think the new gold mine door looks more gold than the horrible 'green' door. Many of my friends dislike the gold mine door because of it's current color. 

Hmm... does look a lot more like gold than the current color imo as well, but looking at it after Delacroix and LifesaverM's comments... Are the new doors perhaps a bit on the red spectrum making them a bit reminiscent of copper?

I'd imagine you guys wouldn't want them bright and shiny.  A bit more yellow, a bit less red?

Could be that the decorative parts could have some small ~polished areas with a bit of glint to accentuate the fact that if clean, it's gold, not copper.

Just a thought.

EDIT:  looking at the animation, the lighting plays a big part in making it more gold than copper imo too.  The dynamic image comes through a lot better than the static one I think.

Edited by Reylaark
second look

last tapestry good with ebounuanra banner or black legion banner.

why didnt kat art win you may not speak to me or my fake best son anymore :angry:

• Like 1

Congrats to all the winners, can't wait to make the tapestries in game!! 

And that new gold mine door is stunning :wub:

Congrats to all winners of both contests, I'm satisfied fully with all of the choices! I really like having more community content in the game.

The current metal minedoors are really needed love, I've built a single gold one and never again it looks so bad. Thank you! The animation also seems real good.

The current unstable is definitely needing some more work but as long as we will have the current one as a legacy this change will surely mean more testers on the new one.

I would really love to see a settings slider to change contrast in the new client, the lights vs shadows are still too sharp to my eyes but I think others will like it that way. I hope it is not a lot of coding to add a setting to tweak the contrast within the client...

• Like 1

I like Mclavin's tapestry. I can hang that up in my mine house and pretend it's a sweet window view.

• Like 2

It's hilarious how Mclavin first just posted blindly without reading just to post first :P

Well done contesters, I hope for something with a fountain next time!

• Like 2