Sign in to follow this  
JakeRivers

Highway Construction Tips, New Catseye Highway system

Here is what I have learned so far to help anyone thinking of building a new road with the catseye/waystone system, if anyone else have some handy tips, feel free to post here.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1enAogVQhXsDvKrOT0DCna5zWh-z4RCsN9ABxMnDSmjw/edit?usp=sharing  - Highway System Documention

1 - Survey the section of the highway you want to convert. You will want to check deeds along the route as well as the perimeters of deeds. If there is no permission to add a highway to a deed, you will have to stay on the outside area of the perimeter, have not tested a deed with the kos system turned on yet to see how close you can go.

Max Slope for Highway Pavement is 20

- Check all slopes on the highway, and adjust as needed, easier to terraform before you start dropping down catseyes preventing pavement removal if needed.

- For diagonal roads the combined slope of any two consecutive sides of a tile cannot exceed 26.

- The game doesn't care whether you paved the corner or used the regular pave.  Either way it counts as a paved tile.

- Remove any unwanted paving along side the highway, paving can be added later, but it can not be removed once the catseyes are in place. 

2 - When starting out make sure the first action is planting a waystone on the deed you are starting from, this needs to be 1 tile in at the very least, then you can start planting the catseyes from the starter post on.

3 - If you plant a waystone at a intersection, make sure to continue the catseye placement in one direction only, planting a single catseye in each direction at the intersection will end up  becoming a closed loop leaving the only option to correct it being to swap out each catseye with another waystone.

4 - If you have waystone to spare, it may be helpful to install one at each intersection you think may become another highway and or a road leading to a deed. If not it don't matter, catseyes can be swapped out for a waystone at a later date.

Once deed has been connected to the highway system, check a nearby waystone and make sure the deed is listed in the directory, if it is not listed and the waystone pointing to the deed says "unknown" try turning off the highway settings on the deed, save and then turn back on as it may need to be toggled to get the server to notice the new connection.

a tip from Niki, if making many catseyes it is helpful to use wind of ages on the eyes (eyes can be combined), coc may not be a bad idea for paving skill gain at the same time

I found butchering bulls and huge spiders to be a great source of eyes.

Never zig zag the catseyes, due to the wagoners union.

Catseyes and Waystones like anything else need to be at least 10 QL to plant, improving these will give paving skill. I find that dumping all the catseyes into a bsb/crate when making a batch even's out the low ql ones nicely when I do a batch of a few hundred seems to always be a few around 1ql.

Catseyes and waystones can be removed on deed using a crowbar and select pry, off deed a crowbar is still used but the waystone or catseye is destroyed.

Swapping a catseye out for a waystone or vice versa using replace and will save the item being replaced.

For those wanting to connect there deed to a highway system, 2 settings found under the Settlement Management, Manage Settings need to be checked off: (second option is only if you want your highway listed in the find routes list)

KOS must be unchecked.

KU4wEIH.png

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 7

you can also imp the new stuff for paving skill

append to #3. "or you have to bash the eyes out"

Skill requirements:

I found by grinding a fresh alt, the requirement for planting waystones or catseyes is 20 paving.

Edited by JDBooker

7 hours ago, JDBooker said:

append to #3. "or you have to bash the eyes out"

Skill requirements:

I found by grinding a fresh alt, the requirement for planting waystones or catseyes is 20 paving.

It is actually 20.01 according to the wiki, was your new alt prem?

On 8/23/2017 at 10:38 PM, JakeRivers said:

- Check any slopes on the highway, if its greater than 20 slope you will need to correct it, there is a max slope for diagonal as well, think this is 28 slope.

Not sure about slope along a diagonal road, but the max slope across the half pave sections appears to be 20 - at least if they are no the north of the road. More testing needed.

Edited by Wulfmaer

20 is the max slope, try for any higher and you get a warning message. Diagonal is 26, but has to be 20 along the up slope side from the bottom. Done on test and couldn't go above 20 up hill but could if I was running diagonal to the bottom.

On 8/23/2017 at 11:38 PM, JakeRivers said:

I found butchering bulls and huge spiders to be a great source of eyes.

Note to self get more spiders. On the other side though this thread is more useful then you probably get credit for. Although i would like to add that a catseye needs to be at least 10 QL. So if you plan to be a cheapskate like me and use the low ql shards. Plan to be imping a lot of them.

• Like 1

Max Slope for Highway Pavement is 20

- Check any slopes on the highway, if its greater than 20 slope you will need to correct it, there is a max slope for diagonal as well, think this is 26 slope.

Not sure about slope along a diagonal road, but the max slope across the half pave sections appears to be 20 - at least if they are no the north of the road. More testing needed.

The game doesn't care whether you paved the corner or used the regular pave.  Either way it's a paved tile.

The slope cannot exceed twenty on any single side of a tile.  The combined slope of any two consecutive sides of a tile cannot exceed 26.

Recently having finished a cave canal

Two questions

- Is it possible to connect Underground through a double opening if there is paved on both sides of enterence.

- How deep in the water can you place catseyes.

I short can I detour a highway in to the cave tunnel through the boat passage, as long as std criteria as 20 slope and such are meet.

1 hour ago, dl said:

Is it possible to connect Underground through a double opening if there is paved on both sides of enterence

Yes.

1 hour ago, dl said:

How deep in the water can you place catseyes

I think they can be planted up to 7 dirts below sea level (which is the maximum depth that you can dig with a shovel), but i'm not 100% sure.

if 7 is max going through ship enterence is not an option. I will test and give feedback.

Edited by dl