Sign in to follow this  
Ashanaak

Wurm Online on Arch Linux?

Hello!

So I'm really new to Linux in general and I just got Arch Linux up and running. However, I'm struggling a bit to figure out how to install Wurm at all in this operating system. I knew enough about how linux works to get through the installation process and that's about it.

If there are any other Arch users who have gotten it working, I'd love to know how! If Wurm can't be played on Arch, I'll just switch distros, but before I do I want to know if it is possible. Thanks!

Just get 'jre8-openjdk' and 'iced-webtea' via pacman and run wurmonline.jnlp applet by 'javaws'. Don't forget about getting graphic card drivers :D

Edited by Chemiq

Thank you so much! I'll look into getting the proper graphics drivers set up as well.

23 hours ago, Chemiq said:

Just get 'jre8-openjdk' and 'iced-webtea' via pacman and run wurmonline.jnlp applet by 'javaws'. Don't forget about getting graphic card drivers :D

All right so I've still been tinkering away and I'm still struggling a bit.

I got java and icedtea-web downloaded and installed, I go to open Wurm Online, I double-click the icon, the initial Wurm Online window opens while it downloads the stuff it needs for the client to run, a window pops up asking if I really want to run this program, I approve it... And nothing happens. I never get to the login screen.

I have integrated graphics in my laptop (Intel HD Graphics 3000) which are running using the vesa drivers. I downloaded the intel graphics drivers but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to replace the vesa drivers that are running the show with the intel one. I can't even remember how I found out what driver my graphics card was using in the first place. Would you be able to guide me through getting the right driver on my card? Thanks!

You also need 'java-openjfx'. This allows you to open the launcher.

However, for me, it always crashes immediately. Officially, openjdk is not supported, so I tried installing sun java, but with much the same result:

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007f98695f8004, pid=9160, tid=0x00007f97c4fbf700
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0_152-b16) (build 1.8.0_152-b16)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.152-b16 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# V  [libjvm.so+0x6e0004]
#
# Core dump written. Default location: /media/ssd1/wurm/core or core.9160
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /media/ssd1/wurm/hs_err_pid9160.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
#

A java program segfaulting. Not something you see every day...

Edit:

It seems to run if you use the sun javaws instead of icedtea:

/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-jre/jre/bin/javaws wurmclient.jnlp

A bit of an incantation to start wurm, but at least it works.

Edited by Xandaros