Sign in to follow this  
Cartmann

False player counts and Server list saturation

I would very much like something to be done about false player counts - Mythmoor for example shows an almost constant 100+, which is often 3x the actual player count, as can be seen logging in or on the wurm unlimited servers site https://wurm-unlimited.com/servers/players/

For one, it makes me sad that the shown player count isn't the actual amount (But that's Wurm for you, not the game for most), but more importantly it's false and misleading.

As for server list saturation, currently the list when sorted by playercount has like 13 or 14 or so servers showing before scrolling.

Almost half of those are a Login Server, PvE Server, PvP server

If all clusters show the same playercounts, can't something be done to make it so only the login server shows, or maybe they are all grouped into a drop down list or somesuch?

Just wondered what other people thought.

• Like 2

Hi,

for your reading pleasure:

:)

Good luck, don't feed the crocs, and have fun!

Yup, well aware of that thread - things seem to have gotten a bit worse now though! It was just a litle exaggeration when WU laucnhed, now it's downright silly.

Check out server reputation on forums or via google and you can filter for the good servers fairly fast. I submitted a proof of concept for fixing this situation many months ago, @Keenandidn't even care.

Edited by Sklo:D

Yea not a fan of artificial bloating either myself. The 'saturation' doesn't both me as Wurm isn't like searching for a server in say Rust or something where there are thousands but anyhow.

wurm-unlimited com counts are wrong for server clusters, since they only query 1 server. I for example run a separate login server from the game servers (a-la GV) so it usually shows just 0 since no one is on the login server.

3 hours ago, bdew said:

wurm-unlimited com counts are wrong for server clusters, since they only query 1 server. I for example run a separate login server from the game servers (a-la GV) so it usually shows just 0 since no one is on the login server.

Yup and that's the negative for that resource as well. The counts aren't accurate their either.

6 hours ago, bdew said:

Wouldn't be a problem for CC to fix that.

08951bf85d671d14f810132c5264637d.png

I agree, don't get me started on the cash shop there, when trader things cost more than WO, just no.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Niki said:

I agree, don't get me started on the cash shop there, when trader things cost more than WO, just no.

The real number is 42 (including alts) they are using an offset of straight 30. So real steam player count around 25.

As I said on the chat...

The fake number of players have been prevalent in say... Minecraft, it does help on promoting people to come in but as soon as they are ignored, people left.
if the server doesn't reflect the high number of players or at least have a friendly base that online a lot, it just doesn't work to fake such.

It is also the reason of people are making 'top100wowserver' or 'top100minecraft' vote sites, they are there to tell you if there are quality servers with players that are actively voting. Although that ain't help much too I guess, only certain of those sites have the algorithm to prevent massive cheating and keep checking for cheaters.

When you sign up at wurm unlimited voting site  how do they  get the information  they show such as online/offline number of players etc qhat do they query to get that?

On 5/13/2018 at 12:18 AM, Nikko said:

When you sign up at wurm unlimited voting site  how do they  get the information  they show such as online/offline number of players etc qhat do they query to get that?

By querying steam to see how many people are reporting logged on to the server with that ip, but guess what if someone marks themself away or offline in the steam freinds section it doesnt show them. So their count is wrong, you log onto Sklo who is one of the biggest ones who likes  to ######, to a fenced off login server area with portals to other servers to actually play all by yourself reporting 50+ players online in the event window, whos really pulling peoples leg here. As far as people ignoring you we have one of the most active global chats ever, nobody is ignored so they don't leave. Quit being jealous."

Also yes mythmoor does add +30 to the player count a flat amount. However we don't have uninitialized accounts showing as online players. Because we keep that clear. So we just fudge our numbers in a different way rather than log on 100 alts and never finish creating the character so they are hung there adding +1 to the count for each one.

Edited by Cyndargua

On 8/22/2017 at 8:53 PM, Cartmann said:

I would very much like something to be done about false player counts - Mythmoor for example shows an almost constant 100+, which is often 3x the actual player count, as can be seen logging in or on the wurm unlimited servers site https://wurm-unlimited.com/servers/players/

For one, it makes me sad that the shown player count isn't the actual amount (But that's Wurm for you, not the game for most), but more importantly it's false and misleading.

As for server list saturation, currently the list when sorted by playercount has like 13 or 14 or so servers showing before scrolling.

Almost half of those are a Login Server, PvE Server, PvP server

If all clusters show the same playercounts, can't something be done to make it so only the login server shows, or maybe they are all grouped into a drop down list or somesuch?

Just wondered what other people thought.

Wurm-unlimited.com's counts are wrong and i sent him a way to fix it, the response was a lot of drunken sailor talk, so I had my server delisted.

On 8/24/2017 at 5:45 PM, Niki said:

Why shouldnt trader things cost more than wo, you can get money in game unlike WO, the jealousy around here is getting stupid.

Cash shops are a problem most servers have them, just unlike  most i dont hide behind pretending its a donation I pay taxes on it and do it legit.

https://sklotopolis.com/donate/liberty

check that one out with all kids of stuff for cash that is offered to make in game on mythmoor and not even available on the shop.

Edited by Cyndargua

I didn't want to start an entire thread for my hopefully-related question. Does anyone know why the Wurm Login screen often shows 0 players on my server, even when there are people on?  Could it be related to the Privacy mod, maybe?  @bdew ?

4 hours ago, Batta said:

I didn't want to start an entire thread for my hopefully-related question. Does anyone know why the Wurm Login screen often shows 0 players on my server, even when there are people on?  Could it be related to the Privacy mod, maybe?  @bdew ?

If all the players on your server use it then maybe yes. The count shown is based on who the steam api thinks is on the server, and since the privacy mod drops the authentication ticket after logging in - it's likely players using it won't be counted.

Also players that kill steam after logging in will not be counted for the same reason.

• Like 2

Thanks @bdew. A lot of our players use Privacy mod or kill Steam after logging in, so that must be it.