Sign in to follow this  
Reylaark

WU fixes suggestion

I suggest releasing fixes for Wurm Unlimited as they are coded, as is done with WO, rather than waiting for larger content releases.

Found out from a friend today that Sandstone veins in WU are still limited to ~50 rather than acting like veins.  Was surprised as I know that's been changed in WO.  I presume that's not the only small fix that hasn't made it over but would be nice.

I realize some WU admins may not like the idea if it creates more work having to patch.  I don't know how all that works, but if mods can be added without causing havoc, patches with fixes from CCAB could as well?

Patches dont work for steam like they do with WO

any update to WU on steam forces an entire redownload of the game, and cause numerous issues as server admins need to update their servers and mods as well as players updating their clients. 

updates are done in larger chunks in WU simply because it makes it easier for players and server admins to manage, gives modders time to adapt to each update and allows for us to ensure when an update comes, any major bugs that WO encountered with it have been addressed

As for the sandstone thing, it's not a bug caused by us, but by third party map generators, our maps adjust fine. Budda threw together a tool that can adjust them, just make sure to follow the instructions and use backups to test before going through with it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Reylaark said:

but if mods can be added without causing havoc, patches with fixes from CCAB could as well?

One difference here is that if a single player adds a mod to their game, they are voluntarily taking the responsibility for anything that happens to their private game. In addition, they (usually) can undo the change on their own without it affecting anyone else. Some mods actually do create havoc, most people wait till someone else has tried it first but even then you can end up with unexpected results long after the mod is added. An example might be the "horse token" mod that was causing pregnant mares to miscarry while converted to token (since they were 'offdeed'), few people caught that right away and by the time it was caught, the mod author was no longer updating the mod. Luckily, server admins using the mod had the ability to troubleshoot and rewrite the mod on their own, or to disable it until someone somewhere found a fix, but it does not happen overnight.

A steamwide patch is much different, it affects everyone and they have zero choice in the matter. If it affects them extremely negatively, and things like this happen often and without warning, it will cause players to lose trust in the game. Especially if a patch introduces some new game breaking issue and all the devs have decided to trot off on a months long holiday and can't quickly fix things back.

I prefer one major update that we all see coming in advance, that everyone is figuratively holding their breath over, that individual server admins can choose to opt out of if they think it will break their gameplay, that is "scheduled" clearly enough that devs are likely watching closely for the first few hours afterwards that everything went as planned. The only time I would like to see an unscheduled hotfix, is if it is super minor to fix, and solves game breaking changes that can be reverted or rolledback on an hour or so notice.  Yes, it's a pain in the arse if we have to wait a few months for more than 50 sandstone etc, but it is a worse pain in the arse if we are constantly surprised by having our games wrecked beyond redemption, especially if these are changes urged by a small handful of players over a non game breaking issue and the result is a catastrophe for the rest of the playerbase. . 

I vote in favor of monthly-or-so large updates that are very carefully researched and monitored first.  

Even WO changes are rarely ever released "as they are coded". Usually they say it's fixed (in the internal version) and will go live on the next update.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Asked and answered, thanks for the info!

This thread may be closed.