Sign in to follow this  
McGarnicle

I just went on the unstable test server...

I just was on the unstable test server and I must say, the game looks amazing over there.

I know a lot of it is just being tested and it may not all make it into the actual game...but there is quite a big difference in my opinion on how the game looks, and I love it.

Here is a screen shot that I took...

im6CeR6.jpg

You should try out the unstable test client if you are interested in checking out all the upcoming changes!! It looks wonderful!

• Like 5

I started using the unstable client a few days ago and I love it. I also loved the fact that I had zero lag or disconnects at the unique fights today on high settings on my laptop. I'm hooked.

• Like 1

Agreed. I was skeptical about switching over, but the lighting alone is well worth the change. I've also been experiencing major disconnect issues on stable that do not exist at all on unstable. Really well done devs.

The only problem I've been seeing with the unstable client is it appear to be more susceptible to travel problems - getting "Your position on the server is not updated. Please move slower." fairly frequently. Sometimes this will improve by starting the client, but sometimes the only thing that seems works is to go back to the old client.

But, yes the shadows are amazing - I well remember stilling in a boat on the old test server watching the shadows play on the water surface. Really need to turn them (shadows) back on now that the brightness has been tweaked, but turned them off as living in the shadow of a mountain the early mornings were a little too dark during the early morning.

Edited by Wulfmaer

Time enough to try unstable when it becomes the stable client, says I. Until then I have things to do that will last in the game which are of more interest. Guess if one has nothing better to do worth an advanced checkout just for the heck of it. Not I.

=Ayes=

19 minutes ago, Ayes said:

Time enough to try unstable when it becomes the stable client, says I. Until then I have things to do that will last in the game which are of more interest. Guess if one has nothing better to do worth an advanced checkout just for the heck of it. Not I.

=Ayes=

It would be a poor decision to wait to test for any issues until it impacts your play if they happen.

Don't have to play it permanently, just try it for a half hour or so. 

The unstable test server is different than the unstable client, right?

I've been using the unstable client, which has been flawless for me.  Really love it.

Have not made it over to the test server, will try to find the time soon though!  Any testing or hints of the upcoming UI changes there?

I could be wrong but I believe that the unstable test server has some differences compared to the unstable client that make the game look so much better.

• Like 1

Yes, there's a couple of visual things on the test client that aren't available on live unstable yet, they're still work in progress.

Most difference makes an ambient occlusion type effect that's on test when you have any postprocess effect turned on. (will be available as a separate option once it goes live)

Spoiler

W8Eb6WS.gif

Spoiler

9uzTtSK.jpg

• Like 2

I notice my ragdoll is really stretched out on the unstable, looks odd to me whenever I look at it. 

56 minutes ago, Samool said:

Yes, there's a couple of visual things on the test client that aren't available on live unstable yet, they're still work in progress.

Most difference makes an ambient occlusion type effect that's on test when you have any postprocess effect turned on. (will be available as a separate option once it goes live)

Reveal hidden contents

W8Eb6WS.gif

Reveal hidden contents

9uzTtSK.jpg

Well, to me it seems like a big difference in a good way. That says a lot since I am usually the last person to notice these sorts of things. Keep up the great work!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Samool said:

Hide contents

W8Eb6WS.gif

Hide contents

9uzTtSK.jpg

Where do you find the UI for unstable test?

There is an 'Unstable - Test' link on the wurmpedia homepage, if that is what you mean...

Unstable is great, I've been using it for a while, the only time I stopped using it was when that weird horse glitch was happening not too long ago, as soon as they patched it out I jumped right back in. It is the only client I use and it's the best so far.

The old stuttering that use to happen after a while is completely gone, has been gone for a while now actually. If you have a high-end computer and looking to experience some of the best visuals provided by the game I'd say hop on in, you will not regret it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Samool said:

Reveal hidden contents

W8Eb6WS.gif

Hide contents

9uzTtSK.jpg

I don't recognize the rabbit-headed people... :wacko::unsure:  Should I be concerned and prepping my mine for long-term hiding?

Client does look great!  I did have some serious lag issues when I tried it yesterday, but will spend more time figuring out what can be done on my end.

The guide told me to do things with the hatchet in my inventory, though no hatchet in my inventory... clearly I have research to do on what's happening! :)

7 hours ago, Reylaark said:

I don't recognize the rabbit-headed people... :wacko::unsure:  Should I be concerned and prepping my mine for long-term hiding?

Those are rift creatures, a Rift Jackal by the look of it.

• Like 2