header.png

Hi everyone!

After a few hiccups we're pleased to see the new huge update live! There's all sorts of things, from highways, to crate racks and new fence types, so let's get to it!

But first...

Patch Notes

Spoiler

PatchNotes.png

New fences and parapets are now available

• The following fence types can now be built in Slate, Sandstone, Marble, Pottery brick, Rounded stone, and rendered.
    • Tall Stone Wall
    • Portcullis
    • High Iron Fence
    • High Iron Fence Gate
    • Stone Parapet
    • Chain Fence

Crate rack

• Crate rack for storing large and small crates.
  • The crate rack can hold 30 large crates or 51 small crates'

Creature movement changes

• Creatures will now avoid water and fences sooner (Enabled on Celebration only at this time).

New highway system

• Overview

• The new highway system has been enabled on PvE servers.
    • Paved highways of 2 or 3 tiles can be protected by the use of catseyes and waystones
    • Protected paved tiles cannot be destroyed, but can be terraformed with a limit of 20 slope (28 diagonally).
  • Catseyes and waystones

• Blind catseyes are created with rock shards and a stone chisel, and then turned into catseyes with the addition of an eye.
    • Waystones are made with a chisel on a rock shard, and completed with a compass and a shaft.
    • Paved tiles that are two or three tiles wide can be protected by placing catseyes or waystones on adjacent tile corners.
    • A catseye may only connect to 2 catseyes or waystones and must be connected to one to allow planting.
    • Waystones will create junctions for multiple highway routes to connect and will require being connected to at least one catseye to allow planting off deed. Note: On deed a waystone may be planted without any connections.
  • Viewing protection

• Possible protected tiles and links can be viewed before planting a catseye or waystone by activating the item and right clicking an eligible tile corner (one with a planted catseye or waystone on an adjacent tile).
    • Once planted, the protected tiles and links can be viewed by right clicking on the object and selecting it in the menu.
    • It is advised to use this to ensure the correct tiles will be protected when joining highway junctions.
  • Finding deeds

• Deeds that have a waystone on deed may be found via the "find route" option on a waystone that is connected to the same highway.
    • If opted in, they may be found in the drop down menu, if they have not opted in they may still be found by inputting the exact deed name
  • Village settings

• Village settings will be used for several purposes
    • Allowing highways to be built or connected on deed or within 3 tiles of the deed (in village perimeter).
    • KoS may not be used if the village is set to allow highways being built through the deed or within 3 tiles of the perimeter.
    • Allowing highways to be found via the drop down menu on any waystone connected to the same highway
      • Note, even if this is disabled, the village may be found by typing the exact name into the text box.

For more technical information a thread for the discussion and questions about the system is available here:

Questions asked in that thread may appear in a condensed Q&A form later.

Existing highway rules will remain in effect until notice of their removal and reliance on highway mechanics is given.

Bug fixes

• Bugfix: Fixed the double text for build wooden plank floors.
  • Bugfix: Fix for menu option to remove reinforcement when trying to mine a ceiling above a reinforced floor.
  • Bugfix: Fix for planted items sometimes falling into a pile of decorations.
  • Bugfix: Fixed an issue where mining out a vein at a cave entrance could cause undesirable results.
  • Bugfix: Reworded mouseover text for village permission Mine Floor to indicate it also includes mining ceilings.
  • Bugfix: Fixed a number of ceiling mining issues related to reinforced flooring.
  • Bugfix: You can no longer bank locked items.
  • Bugfix: You can once again rename tents.
  • Bugfix: You should no longer be able to see through hedges and stone fencing.
  • Bugfix: Fixed an issue with pushing items into doorways from all directions when there was a bridge overhead.

Client changes (4.01)

• General performance improvements.
  • The general lighting brightness in daytime, night time and underground has been increased.
  • Meat material name will show as a prefix if 'show material name' is disabled in settings.(this will appear on both 4.0 and stable)
  • You can now customize your hover outline colors via the game settings.
    • Customisation options will be available for neutral objects (tiles, neutral creatures, objects), hostiles, friends, and allies.
    • Transparency can also be adjusted to fade the border.
    • Standard colours will stay the same.
  • Fixed an issue with painted items and transparency.
  • Bugfix:  Fixed select bar mining issues.
  • Bugfix: Fix for bloated keybindings.txt file.

Highway update
We've been busy setting up all starter towns with the catseyes and waystones. They will extend into the perimeter of all starter deeds allowing you to connect them to your highways. The highway rules will continue to operate for a while, we'll give notice when we begin to phase them out and replace them with the updated ruleset to incorporate catseyes.

Map dumps!
As promised, we have the new map dumps to coincide with the release of the highway update! The map dumps were taken earlier in August and we're currently looking at adding a new dump type into the roster showing off highways in the next rotation!

The folder of all dumps can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6J_aGQ6URL8UURFN2VadWxtSWs

Unstable client
With todays update the unstable client is very close to launching as the stable client. While we will offer the stable one temporarily as a legacy client, it's really important you test this as soon as possible to avoid any major issues when we switch over. 

For info on what feedback to leave and how check out this thread here:

Blossom voting

The blossom starter deed design contest is now open for voting! I think all designs look awesome, and I'm keen to see how wins! check them out and submit your vote here:

Battle bards!

This week I was shown a little podcast by a group that covers MMO music, and this time they checked out the Wurm Online soundtrack! From Gurubear's quirky songs to the atmospheric soundtracks by Tom E. Morrison, Check out the podcast here:

https://biobreak.wordpress.com/2017/08/16/battle-bards-episode-103-wurm-online/

Community content
This week the factional fight guys check out one of the surprise additions to this weeks update and talk about how it impacts the game for them, what's your favourite part of this update?

That's it from us this week, we'll continue to monitor the update and take any action necessary over the next week. There's plenty more in the works as we've hinted at before. What is it? You'll just have to wait and see... 

Retrograde & the Wurm team

• Like 13

Woop map dumps! Finally my deed shows up in Xanadu map dump. :wub:

Edited by Kadmint
  • Like 2

Yay map dumps! :D

How often will they be done now?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Xallo said:

I think he said before they wanted to do it every quarter, or at minimum every 6 months?  Something like that.

Low Stone Wall has vanished from the recipe index.
also, could you add the new textures to it? ty.

• Like 1

These trying to understand the new highway system, and have not seen the earlier post, might find the following two post of help.

The second post contains a link to a google doc containing the original Highway documentation that has some diagrams that will help make things a bit clearer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Battle bards!

This week I was shown a little podcast by a group that covers MMO music, and this time they checked out the Wurm Online soundtrack! From Gurubear's quirky songs to the atmospheric soundtracks by Tom E. Morrison, Check out the podcast here:

https://biobreak.wordpress.com/2017/08/16/battle-bards-episode-103-wurm-online/

Most often quote?

'The Game is Ugly'

Maybe someone should ask them to try the unstable client with full settings?

Edited by JakeRivers

1 hour ago, Xallo said:

We are hoping for every 6 mths at max currently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Crate rack

• Crate rack for storing large and small crates.
  • The crate rack can hold 30 large crates or 51 small crates'

Absolutely magical !  Well done, devs !  Now for a BSB rack - please ?

Please also can all the new racks be paintable ?

The general lighting brightness in daytime, night time and underground has been increased.

And many thanks for this too, from one old lady whose eyes are not what they used to be. :D

You can once again rename tents.

yay \o/

• Like 2

Thanks for fixing the tent naming!

Highways will allow me to stop funding a deed protecting a highway tunnel (I think I'll need to get used to the hi-tech look of the catseyes ...)

Crate racks are awesome I'm so annoyed with those flooding me everywhere.

@Retrograde, you mentioned the unstable client version is 4.1. Freshly logging back I still have 4.0.2(8ccaa69) on Linux, is that okay?

5 minutes ago, Jaz said:

@Retrograde, you mentioned the unstable client version is 4.1. Freshly logging back I still have 4.0.2(8ccaa69) on Linux, is that okay?

4.0.2 is the latest unstable client version so all good.

• Like 2

Hooray from crate racks!!!  I went from 

Spoiler

23BG2O8.jpg

to

Spoiler

cWj9hGJ.jpg

to finally!

Spoiler

nnNsQ2J.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Steveleeb said:

Low Stone Wall ........
also, could you add the new textures to it? ty.

+1

• Like 2

d5b2b9f51c91c2a136305f653db8768a.jpg

34 crate racks made and full.. 2 warehouse. omg i got so much room for more stuff...

• Like 13

I'm loving the system messages regarding the error with the new Find Route feature.  Kudos on the creativity and bonus Kudos that the message is different on different servers!  Thank you Cerebus for the ones shared!

Avoid using the Find Route feature of the new highway system at this time as it is known to find the quickest route to your desktop.

Avoid using the Find Route feature of the new highway system at this time as it is known to redistribute electrons in an unintended manner which the client cannot process.

Avoid using the Find Route feature of the new highway system at this time as it is known to cause a minor black hole in the fabric of space time which forces the client to valiantly sacrifice itself

Avoid using the Find Route feature of the new highway system at this time as it is known to cause 2+2 to = 3 which the client refuses to accept.

Avoid using the Find Route feature of the new highway system at this time as it is known to cause the client to stub its big toe and fall down in agonizing pain.

• Like 1