Sign in to follow this  
JakeRivers

New Highway system and KOS (kill on sight)

So with the coming highway system I am curious how many folks out there in freedom are willing to give up the only tool that keeps others they dislike off there deeds?

Current highway rules only allow kos if your deed is at a highway terminus or not located on a highway.

The new system requires highway markers at the start and end of a highway. These markers can only be placed on a deed and only on deeds that have disabled the kos system for there deed.

I know the kos system is not ideal and can be pretty ineffective for some players as they can just say bring on your templar, I shall kill them all! But at the least they can not enter your deed once the gates (if they were set for public access) are locked down and for some that is all that is wanted.

• Like 1

Can't you just use the permission system to deny access on your outer gates to prevent those not wanted from entering your deed?

7 minutes ago, Wulfmaer said:

Can't you just use the permission system to deny access on your outer gates to prevent those not wanted from entering your deed?

the point is there is a system for kos'ing a player and to participate in the new highway system you must give up that system for good

Edited by JakeRivers

KoS may not be used if the village is set to allow highways being built through the deed or within 3 tiles of the perimeter.

my highway is on my perimeter.
I think many of us have designed our deeds in this way so that KoS is still a viable strategy.
it is, no longer.
I'll adapt, i don't PvP, but i understand the reason that this will ruffle quite a few feathers.

1 minute ago, Steveleeb said:

, i don't PvP

kos has nothing to do with pvp

I was just representing the hole in my understanding should it hold relevant repercussions.
as i said, many of us have designed our deeds so that our highways are not on-deed but are on the perimeter.
i believe that a great number of complaints will come from situations such as this.
*tips hat*

• Like 1

• KoS may not be used if the village is set to allow highways being built through the deed or within 3 tiles of the perimeter.
  • Like 1

Like I wrote in the other thread, I hope the devs will really consider this. I remember a streak of unlucky individuals on pristine or release who would keep having their perimeters dug down to unridable slopes, on a daily basis. They were able to eventually create a highway to their deed under the then existing rules to protect their entry, and kos the people doing it in the end. I fear situations like this will arise again because of the gaps in the protection offered now. 

33 minutes ago, Alyeska said:

Not everyone wants to create a highway for other people to use it. some may want to create a highway to ensure they will always have a traversable path to their deed without risking other people blocking it; the only way to do so is by turning it into a protected highway with casteyes. It's safe to assume someone placed on KoS will be on there for a reason and might seek to bother you more by messing with any roads around your deed. There have been a few instances of griefers going around and messing with peoples perimeters, and with this update you may choose to protect your perimeter and deeded area, or the road leading to your deed.

Keep in mind, a deed may be a terminus of a highway, and perhaps in the case of, say, a tunnel, the only way in and out of someone's deed - making it vulnerable to be messed with with a simple collapse and reinforce action.

6 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

The new system requires highway markers at the start and end of a highway. These markers can only be placed on a deed and only on deeds that have disabled the kos system for there deed.

Can the Waypoint marker/sign be placed anywhere on the deed? They look pretty ugly to me so I would want to hide it somewhere way off to the side where I rarely ever have to look at it.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

What if you spent even more money on an outer deed for linking your highway and continue to be antisocial in the inner deed?

Given kill on sight has never been permissible with a highway that passed through a deed(excepting when it's the terminus) I don't see much changing here, just a mechanical enforcement of the already existing highway rules beyond that enforcement now reaching into the perimeter slightly.

You can always end the highway outside your perimeter.

Harassment and griefing is against other rules, and if people are doing so then they face far worse than a simple templar trying to kill them (and failing miserably) every 15 minutes

9 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

I always seem to enjoy your responses.

21 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Given kill on sight has never been permissible with a highway that passed through a deed(excepting when it's the terminus) I don't see much changing here, just a mechanical enforcement of the already existing highway rules beyond that enforcement now reaching into the perimeter slightly.

Harassment and griefing is against other rules, and if people are doing so then they face far worse than a simple templar trying to kill them (and failing miserably) every 15 minutes

Some deeds have had highways joined to them against the wishes of a deed owner for a variety of reasons, time away from the game, not really paying attention, naivety to the rules etc.

The rule of KoS on highways has always had some opposition, while the vocal minority lost in the times it has come up, it still had opposition, now you've expanded the rules to include deeds that now end at a road declared a highway where someone might have just built a 2 tile wide road for ease of travel to and from.

The biggest gripe I have is that people have spent in game time to build roads from their deeds sometimes joining a road from two ends of a deed, sometimes at a terminus, with the new established rules you still put the burden on a deed owner to make allowances to modify the road work to be able to KoS within the rules.

Highways rule all in a game where the ease of making a highway is easy within the boundaries or perimeter of tiles paid for by a player, outside of your area of control people are free to build anything, that used to come with the caveat work outside of paid tiles was subject to damage, theft and all the shortcomings of not paying for deeded land. 

The burden should in my opinion should always fall those using tiles that are public domain ( ie. non deeded land ), in a game that asks you to pay to protect your belonging by paying an upfront fee in addition to renting the same tiles monthly in one hand, then allowing tiles within that rented space to be set aside for the use of the community via rules is Wurm wanting it's cake and eating it too.

Highways are a great tool to travel around the server, but before roads on new servers people could still get around, if a person finds themselves on KoS, they surely also possess the ability to travel off a paved surface for a set number of tiles.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Uh no you can't, the marker must be on deed, and a full tile in at that.

8 minutes ago, Kadore said:

Highways rule all

You heard him, pave everything. Make the trees into coal first.

A deed can disable waystones and catseyes being built on deed or within 3 tiles in the perimeter, so there won't be issues of finding out someone decided to build a highway into your deed and your kos is against rules.

1 hour ago, JakeRivers said:

Uh no you can't, the marker must be on deed, and a full tile in at that.

In order to show in the listing yes, but that's the choice, show in the listing, or have a working kos

1 minute ago, Retrograde said:

A deed can disable waystones and catseyes being built on deed or within 3 tiles in the perimeter, so there won't be issues of finding out someone decided to build a highway into your deed and your kos is against rules.

In order to show in the listing yes, but that's the choice, show in the listing, or have a working kos

you can't end a highway off deed, it has to connect to another highway or to a deed

you can end a highway off deed, you will just not be able to find the route to your deed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

you can end a highway off deed, you will just not be able to find the route to your deed.

you are correct, a change on test that I missed, sorry about that

before it was not possible to place a way-point marker off deed, at the end

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

And it will be valid and protected? In a previous version of the google doc it said that only deed-to-deed highways will be protected.

1 hour ago, Alyeska said:

And it will be valid and protected? In a previous version of the google doc it said that only deed-to-deed highways will be protected.

It's valid and protected, the deed just doesnt count as connected and thus cannot be found via the "find route"

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

It's valid and protected, the deed just doesnt count as connected and thus cannot be found via the "find route"

Does this mean that anyone can now build cateye-protected "highways" anywhere they want on wild Xanadu (not connecting any deeds at all), and nobody can ever remove those unwanted "highway" tiles? I certainly hope I am misunderstanding that, because there are people out there who literally care for nothing else than to pave highways everywhere.

If we deed over such tiles, can we then destroy them?

Edited by Cista

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

There is quite a significant change between the old and new rules, the section on KOS from the current highway rules:

B ) Deeds with a highway on deed property forfeit the right to manually use the deed reputation system to KoS as the highway is considered public.
    1> If a deed is the terminus of a highway it may place locked gates across the highway and use KoS as long as the gates follow the KoS rules regarding griefing.
    2> A deed with a highway in its perimeter does not forfeit the right to use KoS even if the highway is on the first tile outside of the deed where guards will attack.
    3> Low reputations generated by game mechanics due to acting against deed settings are not in violation of the no KoS on highway rules

and from the new rules:

18 hours ago, DevBlog said:
  • Allowing highways to be built or connected on deed or within 3 tiles of the deed (in village perimeter).
  • KoS may not be used if the village is set to allow highways being built through the deed or within 3 tiles of the perimeter.

Spot the difference? Under the old rules the the highway could be on the first tile outside the deed, under the new rules it needs to further away. For some situations this difference will be a big deal - it might be difficult to move a highway due to geographic restrictions (squeezed between the deed and mountain for example).

I also the village setting:

Allowing highways to be built or connected on deed or within 3 tiles of the deed (in village perimeter).

I hope this now defaults to prevent highways - otherwise it is highly probably a mayor who is currently away, and has people on KOS, could return to find themselves with problems caused by somebody upgrading an existing highway that runs within 3 tiles of their deed.

Just noticed rereading the doc that there should be a message to prevent this from happening, if there is a KOS list, but still think the default should be to prevent the building within 3 tiles.

Edited by Wulfmaer
  • Like 2

Would have probably help if I loaded the game this morning before writing some of the above, but would not changed much.

Where is the setting to prevent "Allowing highways to be built or connected on deed or within 3 tiles of the deed (in village perimeter)."? I see a setting to allow 'citizens' to make a highway to village, but nothing specifically affects non-citizens being able to build highway within 3 tiles of the deed. What am I not seeing? Or has something else changed in the last few days?