Sign in to follow this  
Lei

Clad for Underground Cielings

Wurmians!

I've been working on this crazy underground tunnelling project. With the new clad walls and Cave paving, Wurm tunnels can look insanely amazing!

However! One thing that would make these tunnels properly castle-dungeon-like is the ability to clad the ceilings!

I mulled it over with the options. On one hand, you could have it just mirror the floor (as in: make it paving) - But I think that's just out.

It would be to repetitive and would probably cause vertigo in a lot of players (Which way is up!?)

Clad is 100% the way to go. It would both match the walls below as well as look more logical (mortared-together bricks, not ones just simply stacked in the dirt like the paving graphic suggests).

Below I have posted a picture of an intersection in my tunnels. As you can see, a great amount of my square-footage is made up of ugly rock.

It'd be super neat if it was possible to turn all that grey rock into beautiful red-brick arched-ceilings!

Wurm Devs! You've given us so much in the underground department, but we want more! Consider the ceilings! They need equality!

~Lei

AO0XLr7.png

Edited by Lei
  • Like 2

+1 The fact that ceilings can't be clad is what's holding me back from cladding my own cave walls

• Like 1

Mixed on this one, but for those that want to go the full mile should be a option.

+1

problem is the floor and ceiling are one and the same tile...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tich said:

problem is the floor and ceiling are one and the same tile...

I assumed so@Tich. So I thought of ways to expand to code it so that it may be possible:

•   So bridges appear on the same tile, right? They have two "surfaces" - what you paved the "dirt" tile with, as well as what you paved the bridge surface with.
    • Maybe using this logic it could be applied to this - have one graphic displayed on the ground surface and the other displayed on the ceilings surface.
    • In theory its already being applied to bridges, so it is possible.
  • As said above, the same is done in buildings.
    • The tile of the dirt(the ground), the graphic of the floor in a building, and the graphic of the roof on the building all appear on the same "tile" but still have no problem being graphically displayed.
  • In all reality, the game is already displaying two different graphics for one tile (the floor and the rock ceiling)
    • All that needs added is the optionality to change the graphical texture on the rock ceiling.

Just a few thoughts I had about it. Nothing is impossible 99.9% of the time, its just problem solving. Hope that my theory can maybe help in the clad ceiling department!

Edited by Lei

7 minutes ago, icbash said:

make both paved?

think that would look worse than not having them paved at all up top

2 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

think that would look worse than not having them paved at all up top

Agreed. I dislike that idea as well.

This would be a nice option to have separately from paving the floors but Tich stated they are combined in code so it might be quite an undertaking to separate them for this reason. The current alternative I use at times is to just build a "floor above", even if I can't access it being too close to the cave ceiling. Can be a bit claustrophobic in comparison though.

=Ayes=