Sign in to follow this  
Eject

Server listed with internal IP?

Hello friends

I just started a local server, if i write in the field of the external ip the correct ip adress, the server crash or end.

If i write the internal local ip (behind the router 192....) in the field of the external ip the server is running and listed in the gamelauncher.

something is wrong or?

Eject

Edited by Eject

A local server is local till you make it public I belive.

This seems all normal to me, or at least this is how I have experienced starting local server.

"By Correct IP" do you mean the IP address of your Computers Network Card or the IP address of you ISP's Connection.

post server logs.

if you are using your Computers Network card's IP and the server does not start most likely the server can not bind to the address:port, which usually means that another program is using it,

Correct set-up is:

External IP: IP address of network card usually 192.x.x.x

Internal IP: 127.0.0.1

Edited by bigsteve
  • Like 1

oh, i thought the external ip is the ip from the isp and the internal is 192.x.x.x (behind the router)

i like my local server public (its a testserver for my players), it works but its not logical for me

Eject

Yes you want to use the local machine's IP address (aka behind the router). The internal vs external is really for machines that have multiple IP addresses assigned to them like many servers do. Otherwise you are just using the local internal address because your local computer has no knowledge of what your router's external public IP address is hence the crashing.

• Like 1