Sign in to follow this  
platinumteef

[Fixed] unstable client crashes/hangs when selecting a character or configuration

70% of the time when the client is done loading and I am trying to switch characters or select a different configuration option my client just hangs until it crashes, or crashes completely

This started happening last week, and with the load of other unstable client problems I was having(making the game unplayable) I decided to reformat my PC to give it a fresh go with new settings and everything, still happens.

any ideas? this is what it looks like, the character select menu stays out, the background of the launcher goes black and it just hangs/crashesIW3KWC_2Tgi4c4b8zElewA.png

also feel free to have a look at my other various problems while you're here:

Spoiler

Out of curiousity, what size is the keybindings.txt of the characters you are trying to switch to?

I have found a bug in unstable client where setting keybinds ingame to a wrong or invalid bind (like "bind q dug" instead of "bind q dig") causes my keybinds to append, not save over, my keybinds file.  Thus inflating the file size from 2kb to sizes like 7mb over time.  The larger the filesize, the longer it takes the launcher to switch characters in the background, causing it to hang or eat up too much RAM which eventually crashes it.  Replacing the file with a smaller version periodically fixes this particular issue for me.

I've posted twice about my issue but no one bothers to take it seriously.  All they ask for is the console log and it doesn't show anything relavent so will probably never get fixed.

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Nomadikhan said:

Out of curiousity, what size is the keybindings.txt of the characters you are trying to switch to?

I have found a bug in unstable client where setting keybinds ingame to a wrong or invalid bind (like "bind q dug" instead of "bind q dig") causes my keybinds to append, not save over, my keybinds file.  Thus inflating the file size from 2kb to sizes like 7mb over time.  The larger the filesize, the longer it takes the launcher to switch characters in the background, causing it to hang or eat up too much RAM which eventually crashes it.  Replacing the file with a smaller version periodically fixes this particular issue for me.

I've posted twice about my issue but no one bothers to take it seriously.  All they ask for is the console log and it doesn't show anything relavent so will probably never get fixed.

Holy moly you're right mine are close to 10mb lol, seems like everything is repeating itself a million times. Thanks i'll definitely try to adjust this to see if it helps

• Like 1

Yep, used a text editor to shrink the file based on unique lines and downsized it to 2kb and everything seems to be perfect again after about 20 minutes of loading/reloading to test. Thanks Nomad

edit:within like 20minutes of gameplay its already been resized to 40kb lol, the lines just keep re-adding themselves

Edited by platinumteef
  • Like 1

Yup, it's a bug I only experience in Ustable Client.  I posted examples of my keybindings file multiple times but have never gotten serious interest in the cause from any staff.  It only seems to do this when you typo or bind an invalid key/mouse ingame.  It's like when you do it wrong it just appends to the file instead of overwriting it.  Gradually it just gets bigger and bigger.

I resorted to keeping backups and restoring them every few days or so :/

To Devs:  Hi, it's not just me now!  Fix it please.

Edited by Nomadikhan

Fixed a few days ago, will not happen anymore next client update

• Like 3

Addition: you don't have to remove your keybinds files if you don't have backups, the launcher will automatically fix them.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2017 at 2:01 AM, Nomadikhan said:

I just had this same thing happen to me, a few days ago. It's have been slowly building up and getting worse for about a week. I was having the client hang like crazy when changing characters. Finally started happening any time i launched the launcher. I finally realized i had a 10MB client log, and after investigating more, narrowed it down to keybindings.txt having certain lines repeat themselves hundreds of times. Renaming keybindings.txt to BROKE_keybindings.txt and replacing it with a vanilla default (it might generate one automatically, but I had one handy) immediately solved the issue. 

The big difference is -- I play on WU. So whatever the issue is, it affects the steam WU client as well as WO unstable, and it is somehow related to keybindings.txt

I guess hope Saroman's message means it gets fixed in the next WU client update....??? 

Except I guess we have to wait longer. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors