Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Wagonand cart speed - loaded vs unloaded

If your cart normally goes 20km/h, change it to 15 with a heavy load and 25 when light (or empty).  Seems more natural.  Maybe a little less on the slowdown and more up the speed boost for light?  This happens with riding a horse.  Why do wagons and carts ignore extra weight?

• Like 3

Wagons and carts are naturally slow. Making them slower with a load (why would anyone ride empty carts and wagons when they are slower is beyond me.) Is penalizing someone for using them for what they are intended.

Besides. If you were to apply weight like this, you'd have to apply it to everything, including boats. Good luck getting anywhere because your knarr full of dirt is doing 1km/hr

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angelklaine said:

Wagons and carts are naturally slow. Making them slower with a load (why would anyone ride empty carts and wagons when they are slower is beyond me.) Is penalizing someone for using them for what they are intended.

I kinda disagree with this... a horse's purpose in wurm is transportation, and they get slower when we carry a larger load. so I don't see why a cart/wagon shouldnt get the same treatment. The only thing is you can breed a horse so you can hold more items without slowing down. If the ql of a vehicle were to determine how much it can hold before slowing down, that would be awesome because the end result would be higher ql carts moving faster with the same load.

+.5?

Horses (and bovines) are strong animals.I believe the wurm horse is loosely based between a clydesdale and a friesian horse; both being suitable as draft as well as riding horses. They are not usually bothered by large amounts of weight, especially when it's on wheels behind them. Infact, it's really quite amazing the seeming ease these animals can pull heavy loads, even if just dead weight being dragged through sand;

12000 lbs or 5443 kilograms, without wheels, that's done by two horses. A wagon in wurm hitches 4 horses and does have wheels; obviously these horses are slowed down because dragging in the sand but you're going to need a heck of a load to actually slow down a team of horses. (the short run they make is because of rules and regulations at these horse drafting events, to prevent any possibility of the animals getting hurt or otherwise being abused. They are far more capable than just a short run though)

If the idea is to slow down carts and wagons when loaded, I see only inconvenience for something that is already mildly annoying (but thankfully far better than when we had small carts only!) and not even necessarily realistic.

If the intention is to provide a faster speed to transport passengers, it would work, however, I would prefer to see chariots that can go faster with a single or pair of horses, as these were designed for transportation rather than hauling.

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 1

no, just no

everything is slow enough as it is, if anything i would want to see ql of cart/wagon affect the speed

if you not happy with going too fast, drive a ship transporter around for a day, or drop one of your hitched animals and pretend you have a heavy load slowing you down

Edited by JakeRivers

It is interesting to consider that a wagon carrying 12 crates of logs would total over 86,000kg (nearly 95 tons), which is more than double the max legal weight of a semi truck at 40 tons.  That wagon can be pulled by just two horses which apparently weigh only 50kg each.  And it only takes one man load the entire thing onto a ship.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Meldichoir said:

It is interesting to consider that a wagon carrying 12 crates of logs would total over 86,000kg (nearly 95 tons), which is more than double the max legal weight of a semi truck at 40 tons.  That wagon can be pulled by just two horses which apparently weigh only 50kg each.  And it only takes one man load the entire thing onto a ship.

its magic