Sign in to follow this  
Sila

Highway protection work -Xanadu

Wulfmaer has already laid down some eyes. I've 600 or so more to go down, maybe 900. So hopefully that will get me to the inn though I doubt it. 

Will need to buy some more in I think. So feel free to DM me with prices if you can deliver to o20. 

Bought 900 more eyes so ok at the moment for those. 

I've laid down near to 700 eyes and will continue down to my inn next time I'm on. Currently the eyes go into m20 on the road west. 

There is a new deed planed in the last day or so named "Regret" which is just south off the road where I am up to so far. If the owners read this,  then I left you a bed and chest I found on my travels with some nails and bits. The highway goes across the deeds North perimeter though I've been laying that road and planning the eyes for some time so hope this is no issue. 

Edited by yetian

Eyes laid as far down as the tunnel in o20. Next session (tomorrow or Thursday), I'll finish laying them to my inn. I'll then lay them down to p22 over the next week or so. 

Alright, update on the Ageless Lake Highway.

Part one, the tunnel.

The whole area infront of the tunnel had to be dug down and flattened to properly put a highway through, as it had a few bottlenecks.

Spoiler

rQw09ws.jpg

The entrance was collapsed and lowered massively so that it could be expanded to the north: so no weird bend in that tunnel.

Spoiler

rTrxBY0.jpg

On a whim I decided to make this renovation a bit more special, and in the spirit of bringing the new features to it since its making I incorporated a bit more.

Spoiler

WCFLXUC.jpg

jMk6IXE.jpg

qlOUA21.jpg

Not sure if the ceiling should be heightened in the lower parts, didn't want to mess with the triangle form more than I had to, looks a bit cramped though. (With or without wall cladding, so I might make this part a bit higher while keeping the triangle.)

Part two, the coastal highway.

Dumped a few crates of dirt on clay or levelled where possible to fix the last bottlenecks, finished the paving and laid out the catseyes up to the heritage site of the lakeside entrance.

Spoiler

2TWG5lc.jpg

The problem with continuing from here on is twicefold. Even if I got hold of a GM and the deed holder to alter both the entrance and the tunnel...it's wholly reinforced and the land part is just 1 tile wide. The canal itself will likely not be part of the highway system, although the deed holder could lay a waystone and the last catseyes to make the entrance itself searchable via Find Route.

I'm branching the highway out just before the deed and plan to make a tunnel that runs parallel to the canal. It could come out just before the Lemosa Alliance Bridge and continue the highway over it.

So, down the line I'll probably require the cooperation of local players to hook the north-north-eastern part up at last, ideally reaching the northern shore eventually.

There's also the issue of getting the people northwest of the Ageless Lake Canal connected. This could be done in two ways:

1.) Continuing the highway around the foot of the mountain, building a bridge over the canal entrance. That would require both a GM and the deedholder, if those are distinct people at all.

2.) A sequence of arched bridges going over the most narrow part southwest of the entrance. I could do this on my own, but will require many dirt pillars and bridges to go over it, and would only provide a slightly shorter connection to the xanadian inland.

I'm inclined to do option 2 as another SLE (stupidly large endeavour) and will put it on my project list for now, but if it's preferred community wise and someone can defer me to whoever I need to contact to expand the highway over the canal entrance I'll go with option 1 instead. (Still got the tunnel to the coastside to dig and guard towers to set up in different locations, so there should be plenty of time for that organisational overhead)

[Edit: Or I'll just do option 2 anyway, and add option 1 if possible. They're not mutually exclusive, on the contrary, they would rather complement eachother.]

Also, I'm not entirely sure what about the heritage site...I'm not altering it per se, and not touching the canal itself at all, but does adding a tunnel in the immediate area count as alteration of the heritage site? It's in the perimeter of the deed, but it makes most sense there.

Edited by Flubb
  • Like 1

O20 and The Three Legged Troll is now connected to the northern highways. :) With little playtime that first link has taken me months, it would have been much longer without the help of @Wulfmaer, so a big thanks to him!

So next i'll connect down to Cashtal Cabbyl Market in p22.  Wagoneer coming soon to the inn, unless I can convince someone to bring me one sooner. :)

Edited by yetian
  • Like 1

A map showing the new section of road between O20 to The Three Legged Troll, in red.

48lNk7Bl.png

• Like 2

The O20 to P22 Road is now 2 wide with a new section leading to Cashtal Cabbyl market. I just need @Vanninto drop his stone and eyes on deed and then I'll connect it to the highway network. 

As I write this the highway will be finished to Cashtal Cabbyl market in p22. :)

cYWLFuGl.png

• Like 2

Just finished my latest pet highway project. Since the doom tunnel came to exist recently, I suspended tunneling parallel to the Ageless Lake Canal (for now?) and extended the network directly to the north.

This is what has been added in total (so far):

AfcYCVn.png

I reached out to @Malcore who I knew to live at the next best spot to work towards, and he and his neighbor Katherine not only permitted the project, but also helped immensely with realizing it as quickly as it was, including mining, bridge building, material production, reinforcement and cladding. Huge thanks to both of you for your assistance.

Hopefully this will add a promising possibility for northern Xanadians on this landmass to connect to the network, and incentivize local efforts for further road works in the north. So far the deeds Ravenhill, Dunlap Hill, Palmyra (and soon Angband) have joined the network. (I laid/provided catseyes pretty much for everything up to Ravenhill, formerly Morgoth, only - the rest was the locals own work.)

The project features two bridges and a dirt pillar just at the narrow spot before the canal entrance, and a tunnel going through the mountain.

mBchcLf.jpg

A view into the tunnel: A heigh ceiling, sandstone cladding and 50QL brass lamps at small intervalls take away the dungeon-y gloom of long, dark passageways.

6UFkgrA.jpg

• Like 10

Are you adding as you do them or everything ot map? 

I'm looking to help build a connection to Esterion.

The issue I have is currently I am unable to re-Prem at the moment, so both my toons will be going Freemo soon. As such I won't be able to do the waystone/catseyes, but I can build and prep a road otherwise. 

I believe the southern route around the mountain to connect with the work Yetian and his group were working on is the best route. Many roads already exist, just need to be improved, only a couple of deeds along the route to work with (or around of necessary) and plenty of good land  with easy access to the ocean for future settlements.

The thing I would need to know is if there are Prem'd players in the area interested in this who could provide and install the way system as I go along, and maybe help out on difficult situations (like a bridge if it becomes necessary...I see one spot already where a small bridge would be a better option.).

Just to be clear I'm not asking for material donations. As i said, Ill be losing Prem soon so donating cats eyes to me would be useless as i won't be able to install them. Im asking for interested parties to be able to install them themselves once I finish a segment of the road. I can make my own pavers as i go along for the road, so no need for bricks or dirt either (unless we need a bridge, but then again, Im asking for help with making it, so any material would be to those actually making the bridge, not me). 

• Like 1

Hi Chubby,

Glad to see another south-easter interested in highway building. :) 

Work is already well underway on the Esteron connection. I've already plotted the route and have been making steady progress over the last half year or so. 

So far I've built and catseyed a highway to my deed Glarnfadryn at q/r24, and built but not catseyed a highway to the small mountain at the bottom of q23. Currently, I am finishing a tunnel through that mountain. Afterwards I will extend the highway from tunnel exit north-west then north.

PM sent

Edited by Gwyn
  • Like 2

@GwynWould you mind showing the plan for this new route to Esteron (if possible)?

Edited by Benie

@Sila can you maybe update the map in first post to reflect current state of the Xanadu Highways?

• Like 1

@Benie – sure, here is an old map I had used for planning purposes.

Disregard the different coloured segments. I have a placeholder deed at each of the two X's. There are undeeded inns at the points marked along the route. The highway is finalized and catseyed west of Esteron as far the black X deed, paved and passable to the white X deed, where I am currently surface mining down a steep hillside. Once I've bridged over to the kidney-shaped island, I intend to set up a final, semi-permanent deed there as a base to build the series of bridges from, probably with a wagoneer to make moving materials easier.

• Like 1

Looks really good, Gwyn. Can't wait to see the finished product. :)

Yeah now that Retro finally accepted our urge for an updated map!

There is now a highway over Rifter's Pass. This cut some 3.5k tiles off the distance between Rome and the south east of the map - removing the need to go around via Greymead and the Whitefay area.

In the west this connects with the highway south of Rome, and in the east is a continuation of the highway to the deeds in the area of the two lakes in N18/19. There is a safe house at the top of the pass.

There is some tidying that remains to be done, and the short tunnel is unlit.

c3Z5OLC.png

A short video of the journey over the new section of road, from west to east.

Edited by Wulfmaer
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Wulfmaer said:

There is now a highway over Rifter's Pass. This cut some 3.5k tiles off the distance between Rome and the south east of the map - removing the need to go around via Greymead and the Whitefay area.

In the west this connects with the highway south of Rome, and in the east is a continuation of the highway to the deeds in the area of the two lakes in N18/19. There is a safe house at the top of the pass.

c3Z5OLC.png

Guys you are doing a wonderful work.

Edited by Davih

11 hours ago, Wulfmaer said:

c3Z5OLC.png

Do you need a bit of eyes and rockshards for the cateyes :)?

I've been up and down this shortcut (from Lormere) twice, and it's getting better and better.
Keep up the good work. :)

Till now we got conected via catseyes all spawns and markets, seems only we never see Esteron area on list but there is dead everything anyway. Good job everyone :D