Sign in to follow this  
AJBlack

The Lonely Isle - A New Player's Project Journal

Some of the posts on this forum that I have seen about other peoples' deeds and projects were simply mind blowing and amazing. There are enormous projects with so much time, effort and money invested in them that it's barely believable anyone would have that kind of passion for a game, but I understand why: This game is unique. With all the chains of restriction every day life wraps around us as people, the universe of Wurm offers one major escape from that: Freedom. We each have the freedom to completely decide on our own lives and journeys, and absolutely nothing is forced on any of us. Whether we want to roam the lands as hunters, devote ourselves to a deity, lead armies of warriors into battle or build majestic palaces - it is all possible for us here in Wurm. 

I have had the pleasure of being introduced to this game by a very supportive friend, who encouraged me to keep playing after my first deed plan overwhelmed me. Instead of an isolated valley with no support or connection to the outside world, I have now found a little island at O8, Xanadu, which I called Lonely Isle. (Motivating name, isn't it?)

Anyway, while my journey will most definitely not be as majestic and impressive as those of many others who share here, maybe there are one or two people interested in seeing what new players are up to these days, so here goes my very first project: The Lonely Isle

As I have already mentioned, The Lonely Isle is located on Xanadu, O8, pretty much right at the central Western shore.

The annotations are alliance annotations from the alliance I joined, so please do not mind them, as I don't know how to turn them off.

The black star annotation is my deed.

JjW2SOr.jpg

Let me give you an idea of my place first. Unfortunately I couldn't deed the entirety of it yet, because of a little one-tile shed that was half decayed in the middle of the island with nothing around it. I shall call it: Shack of Delay.

jeZiQm3.jpg

It also came with a bit of equipment at about 50 damage - including a rare large barrel. My first rare! 

zp1l9Zn.jpg

I have a great view towards Newspring Island as well as in the other direction from here.

6Fl0dmB.jpg

It's a nice, small island with a mine underneath it which I haven't yet explored. Since I'm on an island, I decided to begin my journey with a lot of gardening and forestry, gathering sprouts and flowers in order to be able to replant what I will cut in the future. 

Here's the "corner view" of my upper island. To be very honest, I have barely paid attention to the lower parts of the island so far.

s1VcWLX.jpg

The plan for the island is to make a dark sort of evil and unwelcoming place that still maintains a magical aura. Yea, I don't really have any exact idea for how to achieve that yet either but I'll get there. :)  

First couple of days are most likely just going to be creating some basic things, foraging, botanizing, exploring the area. After that I hope to wait until the house decays in order to deed over the rest of the place and plan the deed in the deed planner.

If anyone has any helpful tips or ideas for this, please don't be shy and give me your ideas! :D 

I'll also be using this to journal my life in Wurm, since my Wurm Blog website is currently still under construction, so you guys will have to put up with me posting here for now ;) 

• Like 10

About one of the few things with any kind of "evil" aesthetic would be blacklighter towers, which can be purchased from Chaos. Assuming there's still sellers anyways.

At least I believe the unfinished tower still retains the original kingdom even when finished by some other kd.

Gravestones is another thought. They will even rename base on what corpse was buried.

EDIT: Spiked barriers and thorn bushes are another thought.

Sadly no impaled heads or skulls on stakes.

Edited by Klaa

I am really looking forward for updates on your journey :)

I wish you could take a high overview of your area for "before and after" gallery and to see the general progress.

For evil look, in addition to the chaos spikey tower there are several kingdom banners that have this "scare" theme.

You can also use lots of slate, nice and dark material.

Imperial street lights have slight rough look.

Can also create peat tiles instead of grass.

Tip: there are three icons above the map (human figure, house, handshake), those toggle your personal, village and alliance annotations ;)

Lamps dyed with light blue give a nice icy blue glow to the area. Some coffins and gravestones.  When you have higher skills a Spirit Gate would look really evil.

Try iron torches too for a dark look. They have that dark ages look about them and dyed blue or purple would give a erie kinda glow.

Also do not use high ql lamps, lower ql ones will be dimmer for the night. I would go with slate as well, maybe mixed with some marble to emphasize the darkness of slate walls even  more.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

Entry #1 - The Way to Paaweelr

There isn't much to show you I'm afraid, I've just been busy setting up the basic things on a new deed. There was a pretty large mine I explored that is largely underwater - maybe someone can help explain how I can raise this so I don't have to swim the entire time and can actually use it?

I also learned more about the kindness of the people who play this game - I was asking for a Paaweelr conversion for my alt, who I would like to priest eventually, and immediately someone stepped up to help convert me. I didn't have a boat so someone else let me use their sailing boat to get there and back - so much support provided by the community! After a lengthy trip on a sailing boat, I have managed to get my conversion and am now a loyal follower of Paaweelr with my alt Demonqueen. I think that due to the skill benefits, I will convert to Vynora on my main. 

Afterwards I asked in trade chat for an imp on my BotD pickaxe, which was only at quality 8. Surprisingly, someone immediately messaged me and offered to do the imp to quality 85 for free. Seriously, how great can a community be? 

Bottom line, it hasn't been super exciting but it's certainly been a great experience in Wurm these past few days. Now the big thing is waiting until I can finish deeding the island when the shack has decayed, and meeting my neighbours. I have learned of one neighbour who sometimes appears in local and has also deeded fairly recently so maybe there's a chance to become friends there! 

In general I have just beem overwhelmed by all the support provided by everyone so far and I believe that this may be the reason I have decided to dedicate more of my time to this game than others at this point in time.

I will post more screenshots and news when I get them - for now it's just filling BSB's and FSB's with things I might need someday when I figure out what they're useful for ;)  

• Like 2

goblin skull, can be dropped on the ground, they won't decay and you can decorate with em plenty of things around :D

dragon skull too, but not sure if they decay

Edited by Qdlaty

PJS4LCX.jpg

Entry #2 - Expanding to the main land

It's been a quiet few weeks just mining away on my island and picking sprouts in fear that my forest will be quickly depleted. As it happens, I have been encouraged by my friend & leader Yldrania to help our alliance and expand my project into a larger one, so her and I have created a new character and deeded the main land across from the island. I will be keeping track of my island deed on this topic only, however I wanted to post a quick update on what is happening. It appears that the new deed will be rather mountainous and created in cooperation with my alliance, so I am very much looking forward to getting started with it.

On the island itself it has been a slow journey of trying to find iron and finally managing to find some iron and copper. I'm still waiting for the shack to decay in order to deed the rest of the "Lonely" Island. For some reason I feel like I can't get started on any building projects until I have, because I'm not really sure what I want to do with the space I've acquired. I guess it doesn't have to be logical ;) 

In the meanwhile I've created a rather large mine and gathered a lot of mixed grass, sprouts and other miscellaneous items. Food is still a problem - I am eating raw fish but it isn't really doing too great so if anyone knows an easy way to get started with cooking, that would be much appreciated. 

• Like 2

Very cool spot.. I am on the Island of Newspring myself.. Perhaps Ill come visit.. My deed is North Shore. very new as well.. Good luck on your journey..

Drop a herb or veggie into a pottery bowl and makes a breakfast. We got alist of known recipes under the cookbook in the right bottom corner in the quick tab.

• Like 2

If you can make a frying pan from iron then you can drop a fish and a foraged/farmed veggie in and make a meal, as you make more they will fill you up better :)

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 8:02 AM, Talohan said:

Drop a herb or veggie into a pottery bowl and makes a breakfast.

*agrees*

I have found that this is the best way to raise the Hot Food Cooking skill for a new player. Very nice since you just need 1 vegetable per use. Farming being a necessary skill to raise for cooking and other uses complements this nicely. Then just eat highest QL Breakfasts as skill raises and let rest decay away since you will always have higher QL Breakfasts to eat while cooking more.

Only bottleneck to this now is the extended cooking timer to create each one so you might want to be crafting something while awaiting for each one to cook. Meals need meat/fish added and a frying pan. I would reserve this method for 40+ HFC and just use at that time to create higher QL single meals for eating.

=Ayes=

32cNWVj.jpg

Entry #3 - The Mine

We're slowly making progress! Apart from starting to learn how to cook, I've opened my mine and started expanding it a bit. In the meanwhile there is copper, tin and sandstone available, however no iron veins just yet.

The view from my place is absolutely great. I love how in one direction I can watch the slow movement of the waves clashing into the far away server border while on the other side there are busy people trying to follow their every-day lives as they build their deeds. Could a spot be any more perfect? :) 

L32chr1.jpg

• Like 2

It's exciting to read your progress on your island. Makes me feel like doing my own story as my deed slowly advances.

Keep at it ^.^

w5mf3eV.jpg

Through sheer luck I've found 3 chickens, a ram and a sheep on my island. Of course I immediately began breeding in order to increase the number of animals on this little island, but it is amazing that there have been some different species on it already!

My mine has progressed a lot. I have now uncovered Sandstone, Slate, Iron, Lead, Silver, Copper and more and will be having a great time mining all of those out and smelting the ore to lumps. It's a slow process, especially if you can't play as much as you'd like, but it's getting there.

I'm still waiting for the house that is blocking the deed expansion to decay. 16 damage on it now... this is going to take a while.

• Like 1

Keep it up.. like hearing your story.. and remember don't let anything distract you from your deed.. (well excluding RL we all have to suffer with that!!! heheheeh!!!) are you still doing the mountainous retreat or have you started focusing on this one now that you've finally found iron.. ?? Please share your story!! It so much reminds me of my storied first deed.. only it wasn't my deed, and really it wasn't on an island, and I guess I didn;'t have to search for much iron since there were veins nearby , and because I lived on the mainland I had my choosing of anmals to breed if I wanted.. hmm.. well it was just like yours though really!!!  Ah memories.... darnit if they are too accurate .... hope you continue on and I live close i'll come drop in when you start to get some progress and bring you some home cooking if thats agreeable.. hehe.. take care..

PS have you seen many mobs on your island?? If not I would practice on a dummy doll even afk if you have to; to raise your fighting skill for when you go to the mainland. even though you are in the south never know when you'll come across a hungry hell hound or such ...

• Like 3