Sign in to follow this  
Victor

Breeding issues

So my wife and I have been playing on our own server and we are having a heck of a time getting animals to stay alive when they are pregnant, as well as them even staying pregnant. I shut the server down every night. The animals are on deed and her Animal Husbandry is 28. No pregnant animal shares a tile with any other animals.

Any help would be appreciated.

Animals that  are not on a deed, or on a deed with too many animals for the size, will suffer a very large MISCARRIAGE penalty.

Make sure the deed animal ratio is higher than 15.   I would aim for keeping it at double that number, like 30 or more. You can check the number at your settlement token, I think under SETTLEMENT INFO. A higher number is better especially if you might have wild animals wandering on and off the deed and changing the counts.

I am a horsebreeder with about 200 horses and a supersized deed on a public WU server, the only pregnant mares I ever lose are venerable mares who die of old age. A small deed is probably the issue. Sometimes things are ok, sometime the mare dies, sometimes she just loses the foal. I tend to lose roughly quarter to a third of my preg animals if I am not on a large deed. Of course if some mares/foals that, that might lower the count too.

Don't use pregnant animals on carts that will go off deed, because they could have a miscarriage even if they have many days left in the pregnancy. You might lose the foal and never realize it. Put the males to work instead.

Since it is your private server, you can disable deeding costs and upkeep to make sure you can make a very large deeded area. Or simply move all the non pregnant animals to off deed pens. You can even make an off deed barn with pens and grass indoors (use a leggat tool on combined mixed grass cuttings and plant the thatch indoors on soil). However you will need to REPAIR any off deed buildings, especially if they are not high quality. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I thought it was binary, either above or below 15. Is there a reason to keep it at 30?

30 is just a huge safety cushion for me. Partly because i am easily distracted and might suddently add 10 chickens forgetting how close I am to a tipping point, but mostly as a cushion against unexpected things -- a pair of wagons passing through each pulled by a team of four can throw off your ratio, though on a private family server that's not an issue. Once on another deed I was close to 15 but had a LOT of pregnant mares, the server added a new mod to reduce pregnancy timers and =BLAMO= most of the mares suddenly gave birth the next day, the sudden population spike killed all remaining mares who were still preggers. That's one reason i went for "30" -- as an additional cushion for "new arrivals" pending...

We would need one of the WU dataminers to confirm whether 15 is a binary breaking point. I believe off deed is technically rated at 10, but its true that it might only read those as "15" and "not-15" -- still i would have expected it to set offdeed to something more like "0" if it was an on-off thing. And I seem to recall the settlement message suggesting much higher numbers were better.

edit: I posted in WU Datatmining thread so we will see what they find:
https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/142401-wu-datamining/&page=8#comment-1604842

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I haven't mined any data to state anything as fact however I have always used 30 as my threshold as well for pretty much the exact same reasons. There is always fluctuations so I personally feel its foolish to let it get to close. You know why take the chance basically.