Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Rift Stone - HotA

Pretty simple, allow folks with high stone cutting to create HoTA statues out of rift stone and normal stone (start by using a chisel on the rift stone (large piece, maybe even max stackable weight?), make up the remaining bulk with normal stone).

Adds a way to get them in PvE; still lets the PvP folks have their "risk/reward advantage" and gives everyone another use for the rift materials.

With current weights, a hota would take 750 rift stones, iirc.

We used to be able to make them as you suggested (from rock shards) on one WU server. Now we have to use a 6.5kg glowing lump of gold on a large anvil. As for weight, when created that can change to whatever is desired. I guess the requirement of using Rift stones would put some restriction on it.

Anyway, probably meet a lot of resistance on this since they are currently exclusive to pvp server obtaining and sell for a good bit of silver. Maybe these Rift types could be a 1/2 scale version of the Hota type and labeled with *Rift* in their name. Would make nice statue type decorations for sure.

=Ayes=

Just popped into my mind - Chaos being so small pop and with the coming cages, we Freedom carebears could form up team(s) and go for HotA on Chaos.... I don't see point in raiding/deed holding without experience but a tournament could still be fun...

EDIT: ahh problem is hota rewards spawn at alliance captial.

Edited by Jaz

1 minute ago, Ayes said:

We used to be able to make them as you suggested (from rock shards) on one WU server. Now we have to use a 6.5kg glowing lump of gold on a large anvil. As for weight, when created that can change to whatever is desired. I guess the requirement of using Rift stones would put some restriction on it.

Anyway, probably meet a lot of resistance on this since they are currently exclusive to pvp server obtaining and sell for a good bit of silver. Maybe these Rift types could be a 1/2 scale version of the Hota type and labeled with *Rift* in their name. Would make nice statue type decorations for sure.

=Ayes=

I like your idea. Could be missing the "lit" function and the container ability too - but should have the same attachable runes as statues.

1 hour ago, Jaz said:

Just popped into my mind - Chaos being so small pop and with the coming cages, we Freedom carebears could form up team(s) and go for HotA on Chaos.... I don't see point in raiding/deed holding without experience but a tournament could still be fun...

EDIT: ahh problem is hota rewards spawn at alliance captial.

don't think freedom can win a hota and have a hota statue drop, be so outta luck

-1 to the idea, rifts already rain moon metals down from the skys, what was once special is common now

3 hours ago, Ayes said:

Anyway, probably meet a lot of resistance on this since they are currently exclusive to pvp server

Which rather serves a useful purpose of its own.

1 hour ago, JakeRivers said:

don't think freedom can win a hota and have a hota statue drop, be so outta luck

Could freedom win a hota and get rewards migth pump a bit the population who would be willing to try out chaos. At least I feel so. It might change the game quite a bit though and I don't have the knowledge to evaluate if any balance would be broken with it.

• Like 1

A Hota statue, is a giant statue in the shape of a mighty foe or ally. Shaped and forged by the gods on Valrei themself, according to me they could be even harder (and bigger ) to obtain and that would be a +

knowing the knock-on effect this would cause, I'm giving this an incredibly biased +1
I'm not being objective, at all.
i'd prefer to vote on new statues.

-1. A hota statue is a price, a reward. It stands for team achievement.

If you want more statue options, agreed, but do not try to gain something by harming a whole other group of players.

I had no idea so many people pvp'd to decorate their deeds on wild with hota statues, this has been most enlightening :)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pingpong said:

I had no idea so many people pvp'd to decorate their deeds on wild with hota statues, this has been most enlightening :)

some people even make moon metal candelabras.  yes, all 3 types have their own textures

-1 as there is hardly anything at all unique left to pvp servers, worse off epic.  +1 to some other way to allow freedom to attend without having to drop a deed

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chlodovech said:

-1. A hota statue is a price, a reward. It stands for team achievement.

to my mind, it stands for `getting to a dead deed before anyone else` and `camping a rotting wall with a calculator`
they are not trophies of glory and haven't been for some time.
however, they are very good for the economy. so who cares.
don't kid yourself, if they stood for team achievement they would be a glorious thing indeed, i'm all for that, but the majority of them do not.
When i see a HotA statue i do not see achievement or a trophy, i see salvaged loot.
I apologise to those that have spent alot of silver on buying HotA's but many of you surely agree, you didn't compete as a team to get one, you bought it, with silver, probably off someone that claimed it when a deed fell.
Like i said, good for the economy. But not a team trophy. let us not fool ourselves, or others.

Edited by Steveleeb
reduced subjectivity

I see a lot of the nebulous "oh this would make PvP less unique" argument cropping up any time PvE wants access to sandbox content, which begs the question "why is this a bad thing?".

Wurm's PvP needs to stand on its own merits as a fun competitive platform; not as a block to sandbox content.  Insisting that "if you want x then you have to PvP us for it hur hur hur" doesn't make people more likely to PvP, all it does is create resentment against that mindset and further errodes a dying community.

To be quite frank, the elephant in the room is that most people suspect the "oh this would make PvP less unique" argument is really "oh this would make it harder for me to make silver ingame" in disguise.

Personally speaking; the divide between PvE and PvP content shouldn't be in terms of item availability; it should be in terms of convenience.  Either take a risk (PvP) and get what you want quickly, or spend a long time grinding (PvE) for the same effect (rather like how fighting skill currently works).  It retains item value and makes those items accessable for those of us who don't want to buy someone elses account for a chance to compete.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

I see a lot of the nebulous "oh this would make PvP less unique" argument cropping up any time PvE wants access to sandbox content, which begs the question "why is this a bad thing?".

Wurm's PvP needs to stand on its own merits as a fun competitive platform; not as a block to sandbox content.  Insisting that "if you want x then you have to PvP us for it hur hur hur" doesn't make people more likely to PvP, all it does is create resentment against that mindset and further errodes a dying community.

To be quite frank, the elephant in the room is that most people suspect the "oh this would make PvP less unique" argument is really "oh this would make it harder for me to make silver ingame" in disguise.

Personally speaking; the divide between PvE and PvP content shouldn't be in terms of item availability; it should be in terms of convenience.  Either take a risk (PvP) and get what you want quickly, or spend a long time grinding (PvE) for the same effect (rather like how fighting skill currently works).  It retains item value and makes those items accessable for those of us who don't want to buy someone elses account for a chance to compete.

You want more chaos content then they should add in all the lovely val creatures to freedom.

Love to see a nogump mowing down your rear.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2017 at 10:19 AM, Etherdrifter said:

Wurm's PvP needs to stand on its own merits as a fun competitive platform; not as a block to sandbox content. 

Wurm's PvE needs to stand on its own merits as a fun sandbox platform; not as a block to competitive content

See what I did there

On 8/12/2017 at 10:19 AM, Etherdrifter said:

just because some people take advantage of other people overpaying for statues doesn't mean everyone does.  some people actually play the game in the attempts of actually enjoying the content and not replacing a job.  the point is moot though, because even with a suggestion like this requiring 750 rift shards it would just enable elitism on freedom, unless you consider racing to harvest stones "competitive" or something.  I can just imagine anyway the new scapegoat for issues would be "them bad chaos folks keep coming here and stealing all of our rift stones so they can make silver ingame!!!"

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

"them bad chaos folks keep coming here and stealing all of our rift stones so they can make silver ingame!!!

:D

2 hours ago, MrGARY said:

Wurm's PvE needs to stand on its own merits as a fun sandbox platform; not as a block to competitive content

I quite agree with you, what competitive content has it been blocking?

On 8/13/2017 at 5:27 PM, Etherdrifter said:

I quite agree with you, what competitive content has it been blocking?

add more ways to get hota rewards on freedom, it removes more desire to be bothered trying to compete vs stronger kingdoms at hota who are seeking pvp so it leads to boredom and stagnation and everyone generally not caring to bother as there is no point risking anything at a scheduled event, which will normally would get more people logged in because it is something planned, when you can just go to freedom and get the same rewards.  versus.... risking random encounters where smaller kingdom will have a chance fighting before backup comes

aka, blocking competitive content

I disagree, this implies that those who PvP don't actually want to be doing so.  This rather implies that PvP is something one does for utilitarian means, not for the fun of it.  You are also assuming that anyone save the main kingdoms can actually compete; a gross misconception.  In essence the notion of blocking copmetitive content is a good one, if the event were actually competitive.

Also, if you wanted the competitive elements to be stronger (i.e. more attendees) you'd also be in favour for mechanics such as capped skills and fixed equipement in the play area; both of which would definitely make the event more competitive (a lot more turnout too), but it would also errode the massive advantages elite players (most of whome got their skill levels using mechanics which no longer exist) possess.

While I do think PvP should have a lower access barrier to content (risk vs reward, it's got to come into it), I do not think it should act as an absolute barrier to content (PvP or gtfo).

Have you ever done a Hota? I have seen them completed by a single player before so don't assume that a small kingdom can't win one. You want a hota statue either win one buy one or camp one. You will not be just given one.

Edited by armyskin