Sign in to follow this  
Mickaell

Wurm in Unreal Engine?

every bit of terrain data CAN be imported and kept in a port.   Quit saying its not possible.  All it takes is extra coding to make the new engine able to extract the current saved info. 

Albeit, its a tremendous amount of work, but it is possible... again, very unlikely to ever happen.

1 hour ago, Warlander said:

Converting code between some programming languages is possible indeed if they are based on the same platform (for example, C# and VB.NET both working on .NET platform or Java and Scala both working on Java platform), but between development platforms and frameworks is in most or all cases impossible - this includes switch from current Java-based engine to Unity or Unreal Engine. Such conversion can be compared to trying to make a plane using only parts from disassembled car - both are vehicles and take people from A to B, but work in too different way to make it possible. In addition, learning new development platform/framework takes much more time for experienced developer than learning a new language.

I need to add one thing - I'm not sure if many posters in this thread know this, but MMO's can (and often are) using different technologies and/or programming languages for client and server. In case of Wurm through switching technologies of either a client or server is task for years of work.

In most cases where client is using engine like Unity or Unreal Engine, server uses C++ or Java as engines bring too much overhead for a large server and their scopes are very different.

Well a logical question is why not start work on a new client in one of these engines?  While such an undertaking would be a heavy one I believe it would greatly help in resolving a lot of wurm's current bottleneck issues, improving code maintainability and "modernising" wurm to be more efficient (such an engine would doubtless generate a much improved framerate on any system and may even lower the system requirements).

2 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Well a logical question is why not start work on a new client in one of these engines?  While such an undertaking would be a heavy one I believe it would greatly help in resolving a lot of wurm's current bottleneck issues, improving code maintainability and "modernising" wurm to be more efficient (such an engine would doubtless generate a much improved framerate on any system and may even lower the system requirements).

I doubt it's feasible with a small team. Even if you only put one person on it, everything that the rest of the dev team makes during this process will also need to be ported to the new client, thus you'd actually need a sizable part of your devs on it to make any real headway on any conversion. At that point new content would dry up for months (if we're being realistic, for years). The game would be dead before it ever gets finished.

Edited by Ecrir

2 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

I don't think it would actually help that much. There's still plenty we can do without changing the engine, doing that would certainly bring up tons of new issues and solve very few existing ones.

Getting away from Java won't automagically increase the fps and we're still optimizing the client. (make sure to check out the unstable client, should get much better performance there, and it looks better)

Not many modern game engines would actually provide the kind of compatibility we currently have, if any of them at all.

You can run Wurm on 10+ years old machines with some tweaking, when for example Unity moves away from supporting older hardware.

• Like 4

Hey y'all I don't have a fancy degree or anything but I manage to turn my computer on every morning and off every night so let me share some expert advice: open Microsoft Word and click the "convert java mmo to c++ mmo" button. Like seriously is it really that hard, figure it out. Like 5 minutes. Okay gotta go I got another customer at the drive-thru window.

• Like 6

Sony tried a version of Wurm called EQ landmark or next ..

What wurm has going for it is terraforming that I have not seen in any other game to such details other then 7D2D .

But 7D2D is very borring after after awhile also , bland landscape .

Until you can find a engine that accepts same detail in terraforming as Wurm it will stay as Java .

• Like 1

Starting a "why can't we port Wurm to XXX fancy new engine" thread with "I'm not a software developer, but..." is like saying "I'm not a doctor, but we should just hurry up and cure cancer; it can't be that hard!"

• Like 2

"Porting" the game to a new engine would require the game to be redesigned from the ground up, which would require developers knowledgeable in both engines, countless manhours of effort and basicly working doubly hard. Its much simpler to just remake a game from scratch, and adapting concepts from Wurm to it.

The problem with this idea is that Wurm's hype has come and gone. Not saying it cant be relived, but there is no point in spending the amount of money, manpower and resources doing what a port of that magnitude would require, instead of just making a new game and marketing it as such from scratch. It will bring a bigger crowd trying something new.

Add that to the fact that companies exist to make a profit, and it instantly makes the idea non-viable. It simply is too much of a risk with not enough assurances of a gain.

Should start a FAQ since most of these type of forums posts keep being asked.  Be nice to have a place of the most common questions and answers for them.

Can start the FAQ off with this post.

FAQ:

Can we get another server?

-165 pages later-

No.

33 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

FAQ:

Can we get another server?

-165 pages later-

No.

Nop