Sign in to follow this  
nicedreams

Chaos - Live Beta

Just an idea that won't leave my head.

Dev's = Wurm Team

Was thinking of an idea that may help out Chaos and everyone on it.  Chaos is a pretty tight group of regulars that understand Wurm has it's issues and bugs and it's just how PvP works right now.

I feel that when trying to add, change or test things on Chaos, the Dev's shouldn't use the test server as I don't think enough people log in to it and play with the new mechanics to give enough feedback.  Like catapults are useless now and no one knew until after the changes went live and started trying it.  Then you get more feedback about it after it's live and since it's live probably will not be changed again.  I know the Dev's discussed this and asked people to try Test server, but eh...not enough people did it.  Human nature I guess.

I'm thinking if Dev's can have the every day Chaos players agree to an "Open Beta" status where changes can be made about once a week.  A forum section should be created to give news of what should change and what will change to prepare people for what's ahead.  Then just drop it in Chaos and see how everyone reacts to it and keep on the forum posts to keep adjusting it.  As long as players know a head of time of the change.  Would suck to go do a raid and find out something was changed you didn't know about.

I Do Not think the players should have final say on how Chaos is changed and that's up to the Dev's, but at least it brings more involvement into improving the value of PvP since the changes are effecting everyone on Chaos and not just a Test Server.  I want the players to be able to give as much feedback as possible, but the Dev's of course decide on what's good for Wurm Online.

I think this is a good idea ONLY if the Dev's will focus at least a few months to this and not just changing one thing like Catapults and telling us there are changes and fixes coming to PvP getting us excited.  Really thought more things would be changed after catapults, but I think that's about it.  I know there's a lot of the Dev's plate and not a lot of Dev's to focus on these changes, but be nice to pause on some development of normal Freedom and help out the PvPers.

Open BETA and a bunch of changes might bring some old timers back and raise the population of Chaos again.

Only let people from Chaos Kingdoms vote if they want this to happen.  I feel if it's a poll for everyone on Chaos and Normal Freedom then the Freedomers will say No since they don't PvP anyways and shouldn't count.

Terrible idea, I believe more in actually making people more engaged on the testing server and maybe do other changes and improvements that will increase the amounts of players in the game instead of merging the PvP server and Test server together.

Somebody told me that the code is different between the test sever and Chaos and so they never really know how it's going to perform on Chaos until it's live anyway. No idea if there is any truth in this or if it's just the regular horse ###### speculation that gets banded around...

I agree with Theodein it's a terrible idea, I don't see how this will help grow the population on Chaos, can only see a growth in exploiting broken mech to gain advantages and or loot that would require substantial investigations to prove one way or the other.

Maybe make an event of testing, something like running specific scenarios for feedback and all participants get a desirable item for their help. 

Perhaps run it like rifts in terms of the shifting start times to cover multiple time zones but run the same scenario every xxx hours for a couple of hours over a month or indefinitely until a new mech needs testing then setup a new scenario, rinse, repeat?

Edited by Middi

The test server is used for a lot of projects, and I think you're more looking for ongoing balance and tweaks rather than specific testing, which makes a bit more sense in terms of balance and such, but it doesn't mean testing.

We do have events and competitions with testing, and always encourage more to try out things when we're running public testing, if to just get a better understanding of how it works, and allow players to get their heads around the idea and also provide feedback.

One thing I will stress is when something is on the test server it's a work in progress, and feedback always helps there. A change on the test server to a mechanic could happen in minutes, on a live server it's a lot different, so always make sure to test things you're interested in, we're always willing to help someone get setup.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Retrograde said:

The test server is used for a lot of projects, and I think you're more looking for ongoing balance and tweaks rather than specific testing, which makes a bit more sense in terms of balance and such, but it doesn't mean testing.

We do have events and competitions with testing, and always encourage more to try out things when we're running public testing, if to just get a better understanding of how it works, and allow players to get their heads around the idea and also provide feedback.

One thing I will stress is when something is on the test server it's a work in progress, and feedback always helps there. A change on the test server to a mechanic could happen in minutes, on a live server it's a lot different, so always make sure to test things you're interested in, we're always willing to help someone get setup.

Yep.  That was my point.  It's for balance of PvP and probably not much feed back from the test servers so thinking "live beta" type thing would get more people already on Chaos involved and keep them interested.

It's all about balance.  Not trying to bring new people in.

Just having fun with the idea.

Edited by nicedreams

Eh already have the test servers for players to contribute to testing, assuming players log in.

Even if one wanted to provide incentive for largescale live testing, Challenge would be more easily adapted to this role. Say measuring the impact on pvp from completely removing local to removing local's list of players until they say or do something to make themselves "seen".

Though imho one can test for days and years, and still not be able to find every single bug. Especially in the codebases for mmo's.

Edited by Klaa

8 hours ago, Klaa said:

Even if one wanted to provide incentive for largescale live testing, Challenge would be more easily adapted to this role. Say measuring the impact on pvp from completely removing local to removing local's list of players until they say or do something to make themselves "seen".

I like the idea of changing the current local system, personally I'd like to see it as either purely line of sight, so completely removed or as a compromise and based on your comment, perhaps they are only added to local if moused over or they talk in local chat making them "seen".

Another suggested change and perhaps one that would impact the frequency and fun of PvP more would be the removal of globally announced 'Death' tab on player kills, make the tab local only for copy/paste in skirmishes still. IMO the tab serves to discourage PvP and significantly limits the window of opportunity for the smaller groups on Chaos.

At current and speaking from the point of view of a small group, you cannot just go to another small group and have some light hearted PvP without it most likely resulting in near death or death by one of the larger groups on the server. As soon as the first death tab pops you have 5-10 minutes max before a gank squad arrives so you have to hit and run and there is still a good chance they will intercept on route to 'safety'. Of course sometimes its not the death tab that brings the gank squad, occasionally people leak your presence to your/their enemy before any tabs, which is also a hugely discouraging factor for PvP in small groups but sadly does happen.

Locate soul could use some re-balance, make the success more difficult, longer cast timer, longer cool down between casts or remove completely as this can be spammed by multiple priests and quickly give a picture of who is around, where they are are and what they might be up to. Related to locate soul, perhaps remove 'in office' listings as these tend to be populated by active PvP toons for the CR buff related titles and are often victims of spamming locate soul just because they are online, which makes it very hard for them to be involved in covert ops or planned events outside the kingdom influence without giving the enemy reason to investigate their actions, again discouraging these players if they are not moving within the large groups on the server.

Very good points Middi.  The death tab for one is a big thing that should be changed and is exactly like you said.  Be nice if local wasn't as large either.

Maybe have a scheduled restart like every 72 hours or every week for changes related to the beta testing.  --more fun with idea.---

Seems like everyone on Chaos is going either Smeagain or Nathan for the 20% damage buff. (Not a verified fact, but what I notice) That leaves Lib and Paaweelr useless.  Make all PvP priest have 20% damage buff or something.  I want to stay a Paaweelr priest on my alt, but probably going to have to go Smeagain to match up with everyone else. :(  Smeagain has 20% damage buff and massive heals.  Why would anyone want to be any other priest in PvP.  Was thinking of going with Nathan since he can mine, but can only cure single wounds so eh...Smeagan it is.

I was a Lib Champ and was sucky experience compared to what Smeagain can do.  Lib really is pretty useless in PvP except for rebirth and archery.  I used to cast spells like crazy on people while I was Champ and was pretty weak experience.

Lib and Paaweelr supposed to be PvP Gods, but now they some really weak Gods in terms of Chaos and useless.  Why not have all PvP Gods with damage bonus?

Eh don't see anything wrong with any one particular god being favored over others in certain areas, especially player gods.

Sme just happens to be more bloodthirsty than others atm.

2 minutes ago, Klaa said:

Eh don't see anything wrong with any one particular god being favored over others in certain areas, especially player gods.

True.  But I need a edge on these 10 year old accounts though.  lol

5 minutes ago, Klaa said:

Going smeagain.  A month of Paaweelr sermons down the drain. :(

Balance stuff is in the works and will come at a later date. It won't be ongoing tweaks every 72 hours on chaos, but we'll be working on it. 

7 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Balance stuff is in the works and will come at a later date. It won't be ongoing tweaks every 72 hours on chaos, but we'll be working on it. 

Thanks Retro.  I'll stop venting (suggestions) until new balance updates come. :)

Edited by nicedreams

22 minutes ago, nicedreams said:

Why should someone who puts no effort into there account be on par with someone who has?

You do not need 10 years to catch up or get 'gud'.

11 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Why should someone who puts no effort into there account be on par with someone who has?

I have literally put hundreds if not more of hours into hunting and my only focus as been getting all PvP skills up and nothing else.  All my PvP skills are over 80 and its such a slow grind after 80 and seems like not enough creatures to kill.  Mobs don't spawn fast enough in this game in all the servers.  After about 3 years of hunting I'd like to be at an even ground like I would be in other games.

Don't tell me to "get gud" when I can't afford drake or scale like others can.  Why doesn't everyone PvP in plate instead of making plate suck and being the main 1st target in every battle?  Or why don't you send me over a drake set so I can "get gud"?  How do I get drake without 80s?  Fill me in...

2 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Nope, just a credit card and lots of friends.