Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

New Player 24hr Compass Marker for Starter town

Along the lines of having the 24hr light & agro range benefits for new players, I suggest also adding in a marker on compass, which shows the direction of the starter town.  Why?  Because one of the most common things that happens to new players is getting lost first thing.  Been watching the CA the last few weeks and seen it happen a few times. 

Edit: Marker on compass only lasts 24hrs of game time, just like the other newbie buffs.

Edited by Wurmhole
  • Like 2

-1 for compass markers in Wurm

But maybe new non drop item, that allows you to cast Locate Settlement on PvE every 30 minutes for 24h?

getting lost is part of the experience, not like a starter town has much to offer a new player other than a place to respawn on death

one in ten remain.
once upon a time we didn't have a crafting interface, post update = two in ten.
lets make it 3 in ten
i know we had it harder.
The first 48 hours is, an individual, walking through the door. having sought WO for anything between 1 and 20 years.
if we lower our average age by 5 years, it's still in its thirties. it's still filtered towards.. `mean it`.
We will never make WO as `friendly` as WoW.
if you've played for more than two years, you've already involuntarily, sacrificed past effort that would have been easily gained had you waited just a year.
We need tailor the newbie experience with rose coloured glasses, once the hallowed newbie buzz is over, what remains is what WO is.
but those first couple of weeks. Need be comfortable and welcoming.
there's plenty of time to get lost before your FS is of a freedom (explore!) level.

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 1

they could make it last as long as the newbie buffs, but as a second compass starter town that way

but really if they get the highway bugs worked out, the new highway system will make it easy for a newbie to find his way back to the starter town and all over the server for that matter

• Like 2

On 8/9/2017 at 10:13 AM, JakeRivers said:

they could make it last as long as the newbie buffs, but as a second compass starter town that way

but really if they get the highway bugs worked out, the new highway system will make it easy for a newbie to find his way back to the starter town and all over the server for that matter

I had actually meant for this exactly and now realize that didn't come across in my OP.  I'll edit it.

+1 to everything that eases out the beginning for new players.

I still remember my first week and it was far from an easy beginning of the play through.

Edited by Thorvar

On 8/9/2017 at 8:40 AM, archer said:

-1 for compass markers in Wurm

But maybe new non drop item, that allows you to cast Locate Settlement on PvE every 30 minutes for 24h?

Very empty pockets those new players, I really doubt you'll miss a sale during that 24 hour window.

But a new no drop item would benefit me, lets add that!

Wouldn't the new road markers being added to the game point a new player to the starter town

ok, new highways are nice and on smaller servers, that will probably do the trick, once everyone fixes them all.  Has anyone ever wandered away from town and highways on Xan?  Xan, where almost every new player starts?  I've literally been lost in the middle of Xan for 3 days, trying to find my way home.  That same area is still completely wild, after a few years.

It will work better for xanadu, as you aren't going to navigate well with nine compass markers.

The highway system will provide a great amount of help for new players, being able to follow roads to and from starter deeds. 

Wandering around in a forest is always going to get you lost

8 hours ago, Retrograde said:

It will work better for xanadu, as you aren't going to navigate well with nine compass markers.

for indy and xanapoo just have it point to the 'closest' starter town

but if a noob gets so far away from the starter anyways, they most likely just going to die and enjoy the red tunnel express to get back

Edited by JakeRivers

Honestly, I just consider the starter town to be the actual town you start in. If you travel so far away that another town becomes closer and the compass dot changes, that would be really confusing.