Sign in to follow this  
Letter

New Player!

I am just finishing my first week of Wurm Online.  The game is amazing and the addiction is real. 

I found the game through the Steam Recommended Games feature.  I tried Wurm Unlimited for two days before making the jump over to Wurm Online.  There are very few twitch streamers and youtube playlists for Wurm Online; however, the few that are out there are what pushed me from Unlimited to Online.

A few things...

I went prem almost immediately.  I understood the benefits and the price wasn't terrible.  I read a lot about the game being pay to win and I can see both sides of the argument.  I have no interest in this debate.

The music was the first "wow" moment for me.  This game has a unique feel and atmosphere.  I love it.

The tutorial area really sucks.  I learned more from youtube tutorials than anything in the game.  I can see how this would turn a lot of new players off to the game.

This game could really benefit from more streamers.  If I had seen this on twitch or something, I would have been here sooner.  The game may not be able to heavily market itself - but you all can.  On the flip side though, twitch streaming the production of 1000 bricks may not be so entertaining.

YOU guys are why this game is so great.  Every person I have met in Wurm Unlimited and Wurm Online have been friendly, helpful and active.  I've met random people along the road, wandered into settlements and chatted with folks in the irc channel and in game.  All have been friendly, helpful players.  Thank you to everyone I have met and I look forward to meeting more of you.

I have already put more hours in than I am comfortable admitting.

• Like 18

Welcome to the best corner of the Internet! Hehe

I'm always happy to see new faces join our great community! 

I agree this game could use more streamers, but as you pointed out, 1000 stone bricks isn't exactly a high octane event to be broadcasting lol.   Perhaps I'll set up some streaming when I go out to pvp in chaos. I know lots of others do it.   Also, there is a great group of people in Xanadu that do stream. "Factional fight" if memory serves me.  

If you have any questions, concerns,  need a place to live or need some merchandise bought / sold I'm always happy to help!  Throw me a pm on here, or to BlackAvuli / Raistlinmajere in game ^^

I have been playing on Xanadu.  It seemed like a natural place for a new player to go.

I enjoyed reading your positive post Letter. I am a bit surprised that you prefer WO over WU though. Maybe because of the more numerous and active player base of WO for social interactions? Also, there are quite a few UTube vids out about Wurm Online. Rather than streaming stuff I find them more enjoyable to view at ones convenience with more focused content as well.

Anyway, I hope you continue to enjoy your Wurm experience into the years to come.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Letter said:

I am just finishing my first week of Wurm Online.  The game is amazing and the addiction is real. 

I found the game through the Steam Recommended Games feature.  I tried Wurm Unlimited for two days before making the jump over to Wurm Online.  There are very few twitch streamers and youtube playlists for Wurm Online; however, the few that are out there are what pushed me from Unlimited to Online.

A few things...

I went prem almost immediately.  I understood the benefits and the price wasn't terrible.  I read a lot about the game being pay to win and I can see both sides of the argument.  I have no interest in this debate.

The music was the first "wow" moment for me.  This game has a unique feel and atmosphere.  I love it.

The tutorial area really sucks.  I learned more from youtube tutorials than anything in the game.  I can see how this would turn a lot of new players off to the game.

This game could really benefit from more streamers.  If I had seen this on twitch or something, I would have been here sooner.  The game may not be able to heavily market itself - but you all can.  On the flip side though, twitch streaming the production of 1000 bricks may not be so entertaining.

YOU guys are why this game is so great.  Every person I have met in Wurm Unlimited and Wurm Online have been friendly, helpful and active.  I've met random people along the road, wandered into settlements and chatted with folks in the irc channel and in game.  All have been friendly, helpful players.  Thank you to everyone I have met and I look forward to meeting more of you.

This.

New players like this giving the community and development staff non-biased feedback like this is what makes this game better and better.  I am so glad you are enjoying Wurm, it's really good to see you staying positive.  If you need any help ingame, PM me, Nomadikhan, or anyone else around here on the forums or those in your local area.  You'll find we are super helpful and very community oriented.  Many of us will help you any way we can.

I may not be in your area or even server, but I'd be happy to improve or create some tools for you and mail them your way.

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Letter said:

I have been playing on Xanadu.  It seemed like a natural place for a new player to go.

Ah.  I've heard a lot of complaints over the past two years about Xanadu.  I hope you find a worthy home there, and deal well with the apparent lag.

If you have any troubles, Lunadew in xan is always looking to help new players with a home, active village/alliance. Some old and new players alike all live in one alliance, sharing boarders and permissions. Essentially one giant deed haha

34 minutes ago, Ayes said:

I enjoyed reading your positive post Letter. I am a bit surprised that you prefer WO over WU though. Maybe because of the more numerous and active player base of WO for social interactions? Also, there are quite a few UTube vids out about Wurm Online. Rather than streaming stuff I find them more enjoyable to view at ones convenience with more focused content as well.

Anyway, I hope you continue to enjoy your Wurm experience into the years to come.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

I went WO for the social aspects.  WU felt like imitation crab meat...  It's not bad, but I'd rather have the real thing.

15 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

Ah.  I've heard a lot of complaints over the past two years about Xanadu.  I hope you find a worthy home there, and deal well with the apparent lag.

Not sure if I'm just lucky, but no issues with lag.  The population increased this past weekend and I did not notice anything.  Coming from WU, I noticed absolutely no difference in performance between the two (played WU on the highest pop server - the name escapes me atm).  Water has no impact on gameplay, number of creatures/people does not appear to have an impact and traveling long distances does not cause issues.  Server pop is lower in the mornings for me and higher in the evenings - no performance difference.

• Like 1

In xan I only really had complaints from the server back up hours. I'd get 3 mins of an action bar "finalizing".  Large amounts of lights/mobs/players can cause lag for me, but most noticeably is probably the lights.   Mind you, I'm on a laptop for majority of my wurming :P

Welcome to Wurm, Letter!  I don't know if Vanna White is still handing you out, but I'd buy you a vowel.

I presume you have found the subforum:

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/forum/299-the-showtime-theatre/

Also, I don't think I saw Mootred represented in there (I didn't look that hard), but just in case:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWZSBCGaTbvjJf7Qrswlltg

Sounds like you're off to a great start.  I'd also imagine you have found the best reading material ever created for bathroom breaks, metro rides, office meetings, etc. : https://wurmpedia.com/index.php/Main_Page

Have fun, don't let the crocs bite.

• Like 1

Welcome to the addiction.   Over Ten Years and counting.  :wub:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lolabelle said:

Welcome to the addiction.   Over Ten Years and counting.  :wub:

It's a for life thing ?

11 minutes ago, 5p34k3r said:

It's a for life thing ?

Lifers, lifers everywhere.

• Like 1

Gosh I love newbs!!  Welcome aboard, and my condolences to your significant other.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 5p34k3r said:

Heh I'm working on 70 days of game time over 1900 days of being a registered player

5 hours ago, Letter said:

Welcome to Wurm. I would offer you shelter, tools and gear but it seems you are doing just fine, and the game is much more fun in the begining when you craft your own world. I wont ruin that for you since it seems you got past the hard phase and are now a keeper.

Regardless, feel free to hit me up here or in game if you need help. I am sure most of those here would feel the same. Dont get dissuaded by the complexity of things, if you need help, if you loose your corpse in the forest with all your tools, if you cant cross to another server, or if you cant build something, just ask. This community has a big heart and I know people who will go out of their way to help. We are all in this together, and chances are we know a trick or two you may not that might save you a load of grief.

Goodbye real life. Welcome to Wurm.

Edited by Angelklaine
  • Like 3

Wait, Wurm has music :huh:

Anyway, welcome! The first year in Wurm I had an actively logged in percentage of 35% lol. 

• Like 1