Sign in to follow this  
Wulfmaer

[rift closed] Rift - 7 Aug (on the top of the world)

The next rift, as the title says, on the top of the world. One of the tunnels to the top has been reopened - starting from the point marked on the map, and using a combination of tunnels and paths up the ledges on the north side of the mountain. It is a long way up, and is not passable by cart/wagon as there are a number of sections particularly in the upper section of tunnel that needs to be climbed. (the bad slopes have all been eased, so cart access should be possible, though you will still need to sail to the starting point)

The top of the mountain has a number of 60 dirt deep trenches carved across its top - which makes the rift area interesting. These trenches show on the 3d map. There is plenty of room on the south side of the top for a safe area to be built.

See https://www.niarja.com/rifts for rift timing.

CCFKyn5.png

For map, see http://wurmonlinemaps.com/Maps/Xanadu?x=3204&y=-5163&z=6

Edited by Wulfmaer
rift now closed

That's N 14-15 in case there are others like me who cannot find it on bigger map :P

hmm yeah I'm skipping this one... too far out of the way and a hassle to boot.

The initial team of three has taken a break from the rift - due to one of its number having network problems that prevented them from proceeding....

There are still enough critters from the 2nd wave still alive for the hearts to close it, unless they start dying off before a team can be put together..., also I have placed enough hearts to close this 2nd wave in the fountain, so hopefully they will survive a few days.

might add more when more awake...

Oh no, is this the day Xanadu falls? :o

(you know... falls... top of mountain... get it?... nevermind... )

Interesting stats. Can I assume from this that the number of monsters that spawn is proportional to how many players show up?

It is proportional indeed. Also I suppose not all mpbs were killed - you may close a wave if you can sacc enough hearts without being killed. Which is quite a mean move at usual rifts but fully understandable in situations like this. ..

Edited by Jaz

There were certainly a lot less monsters than normal. But, the score is more a reflection on how we closed the rift.

The first wave we only killed enough to get the hearts to close the rift wave, at which point we dragged the monsters away from the altar while Kanmin burn the hearts. We got to the same point with the 2nd wave, after about 3 hours, but Kanmin suffered network problems that prevented doing much causing us to effectively be down to just two - and the group split up (I was also having problems staying awake, it was now about 6:30am (UK time)).

I sailed home, and returned later in the day with the intention of setting up a camp at the base of mountain while trying to get a team together to close the rift - quite expecting it not to happen until the weekend. As it happened Loetuw/Kanmin was in the area when I got back, with no network issues, and Oats arrive soon after I started backup the mountain. We eventually restarted fighting the second wave just after 16:00. The rest of the monsters from the 2nd wave were killed - giving us enough hearts to close both this and the final wave. I don't remember killing many in the final wave, but just dragged everything way from the altar and burning hearts.

This was only really possible as the rift layout gave us the opportunity of being creative in closing the rift. The groves that are seen on the 3d view have 60 dirt slopes - we were very lucky the the rift altar was on the same raised flat area as the safe area, otherwise these tactics would not have worked.

So, 15.5 hours to close this rift, but 10 hours of that was the mid-rift pause. So, only 5.5 hours of fighting. I don't really want to think about how long the 3rd wave would have taken - but probably another couple of hours. As can be expect from such tactics the loot was quite light, just one pad and necklace in addition to the bits of seryll/ada - plus the rift mats.

Edited by Wulfmaer
  • Like 1

Good job! And you well deserved all the rift mats which must have been really nice amount shared among such a small group.

Third wave is an issue until the riftmaster spawns only - after that it is much more controllable.

Edited by Jaz