Sign in to follow this  
Baeowulf

Deed Set Up

So, I'm thinking about making my own deed (won't start off deeded, but eventually) and I have no idea where to start. Are there any popular deed layout templates? Like blacksmith here, residential here, etc? Or do people just kind of start building and figuring it out as you go? I have a feeling my first creations will be boxes due to me have little to no experience building ?

Edited by Baeowulf

55 minutes ago, Baeowulf said:

Are there any popular deed layout templates?

The most popular template is certainly to make everything flat and then to plop down a bunch of buildings. :)

Personally I prefer to leave the landscape as it is and place the buildings that I need, only cottage and workshop in my case.

gZGjO9Xm.jpg

View from my small farm (with 11 farm fields) to workshop on the left and cottage up the little hill on the right.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eobersig said:

The most popular template is certainly to make everything flat and then to plop down a bunch of buildings. :)

Personally I prefer to leave the landscape as it is and place the buildings that I need, only cottage and workshop in my case.

gZGjO9Xm.jpg

View from my small farm (with 11 farm fields) to workshop on the left and cottage up the little hill on the right.

Simple, but efficient. I like!

Edited by Baeowulf
typos XD

If/when you make it to Storm's End I'll show you our layout, but yeah, you can pretty much do whatever you want.  You'll find as time goes on how you want things to be laid out due to convenience, time management, prettiness, etc.

• Like 1

Some quick general tips from starting 3 deeds myself and working on more than I can count:

Think big, start small. Big deeds cost a lot, in actual silver, time, and resources, so start with just what you need. A house, a few pens, and a mine opening are all you really need to work with realistically. That said, you will have a ton of great aesthetic and practical ideas as you go, so settle in an area that will allow your deed to grow with your needs and plans. 

Wood first. Stone is pita, especially as a new player. You are talking the difference of almost 3 times as many actions to make a stone structure over a wooden one. Think about stone after you have your essentials. 

Settle near friendly neighbors. This one is more personal preference, but I find Wurm to be a much more enjoyable experience when you have help and friends right where you need them. Talk to the nearby residents before you choose to settle, get an idea of who they are and if they are amiable to having someone in their local. Some people don't like it and can be a pain to live near. 

Know the area. Where is the tar? The clay? What about slate and marble? Some things are more important then others, but I started a deed where I needed to travel about half an hour to get some clay and it suuuuccckkkeeeddd.

-----

To the question of direct layout of a deed, I am a huge fan of a radial layout; that is, have your house or primary workshop at the center of the deed, and build outwards from it. It is the most practical and easiest to expand from starting as a smaller deed.

Carp House

][

Pens >  <8HappyHouse8> <Workshop

][

Farms

][

Blacksmith

• Like 1

Location location location.

If your taste is more after buidling, terraforming, landscaping - find a private corner with varying landscape. Less neighbours = more room for your ideas to fly.

If you like smithing and carpentry and other forms of crafting - try to figure out how much and what types of metals are around.

If you like gardening and farming and cooking (it's also crafting, I know) - get a flatter area for easier field and farm setup.

If you plan on trading a lot - water access and/or larger highway is probably a good thing to have.

And most important thing of course - if you start the game, if you "get out of bed", what kind of view do you want to see? Trees? Tundra? Ocean? Dark pits of a mine? ;) 

Generally everything can be changed to your taste in Wurm. Land can be raised, mountains can be flattened, roads can be built. Even clay and tar, actually even iron and marble can be created if you have none around. 

Main question is - how much work are you prepared for? :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shmeric said:

Location location location.

If your taste is more after buidling, terraforming, landscaping - find a private corner with varying landscape. Less neighbours = more room for your ideas to fly.

If you like smithing and carpentry and other forms of crafting - try to figure out how much and what types of metals are around.

If you like gardening and farming and cooking (it's also crafting, I know) - get a flatter area for easier field and farm setup.

If you plan on trading a lot - water access and/or larger highway is probably a good thing to have.

And most important thing of course - if you start the game, if you "get out of bed", what kind of view do you want to see? Trees? Tundra? Ocean? Dark pits of a mine? ;) 

Generally everything can be changed to your taste in Wurm. Land can be raised, mountains can be flattened, roads can be built. Even clay and tar, actually even iron and marble can be created if you have none around. 

Main question is - how much work are you prepared for? :)

Is there an easy way for a new player to figure out what types of metal are nearby?

i don't think I have any skill at all in prospecting, unfortunately

Right click on cliffface with pickaxe selected, prospect, don't need any skill to do that, just to analyse shards.

• Like 1

Iron is generally pretty common, you can find it everywhere.

But yeah, if you (as I) don't have much skill in prospecting, you'd have to just cross fingers that "somewhere under this mountain" is marble or silver.

Analysing the rock surface is same as prospecting, doesn't give you more than "you would mine abc here", but not what veins are close.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shmeric said:

Iron is generally pretty common, you can find it everywhere.

But yeah, if you (as I) don't have much skill in prospecting, you'd have to just cross fingers that "somewhere under this mountain" is marble or silver.

Analysing the rock surface is same as prospecting, doesn't give you more than "you would mine abc here", but not what veins are close.

After having a look on the wiki, it does say that anyone, regardless of skill level is able to see ores within a *9x9 area (with the player in the middle, so 3 blocks out in each direction) when surface prospecting. That's nifty ?

Edited by Baeowulf
correction about area from wiki

I stand corrected, surface prospecting is, indeed, nifty! ?

3 hours ago, Baeowulf said:

Is there an easy way for a new player to figure out what types of metal are nearby?

i don't think I have any skill at all in prospecting, unfortunately

Yeah, the easiest way is to ask the neighbors. lol  Seriously though, if there are any neighbors in the area they'll most likely know the cave structures very well in their area.

Also, as far as layout goes, there's a little program called DeedPlanner that is very useful for planning out how you want your buildings or villages to look.  You can tinker around in it, swapping from the 2D to 3D perspectives.  It's incredibly useful, and I've spent dozens upon dozens of hours using the program.  Check it out here:

And if you don't know where to start with all of the options at hand you can ask someone, such as myself, for a mock-up and I'd be happy to put something together.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Baeowulf said:

So, I'm thinking about making my own deed (won't start off deeded, but eventually) and I have no idea where to start.

Something to keep in mind is that the minimum deed upkeep is 1 Silver per month. So if you create a minimum *sized* deed which is 11x11 total tiles the monthly upkeep will be the same as a 21x23 (aprox) total tiles *sized* deed ( which is the maximum size to stay at 1 Silver per month). Just use the deed stake to plan out your size and on the last page the size pricing will all be broken down before you click the confirmation at the bottom. You can just cancel it there too and retry various sizes to see the price structure of it all.

The difference between these sizes is just that initially the 11x11 will cost the least Silver to establish but I always prefer to place the largest size that will stay just under the minimum 1 Silver upkeep per month. If you choose a 21x23 (aprox size) you will find that this is a lot of area to start your new deed building experience and will serve you well. A 3x3 wooden house with a door out into an enclosed farm/horse pen would be a good start and you might even want to place it in a corner out of the way somewhere on deed to avoid it being in an area you might want to develop later when you have a better idea of your further plans.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ayes said:

Something to keep in mind is that the minimum deed upkeep is 1 Silver per month. So if you create a minimum *sized* deed which is 11x11 total tiles the monthly upkeep will be the same as a 21x23 (aprox) total tiles *sized* deed ( which is the maximum size to stay at 1 Silver per month). Just use the deed stake to plan out your size and on the last page the size pricing will all be broken down before you click the confirmation at the bottom. You can just cancel it there too and retry various sizes to see the price structure of it all.

The difference between these sizes is just that initially the 11x11 will cost the least Silver to establish but I always prefer to place the largest size that will stay just under the minimum 1 Silver upkeep per month. If you choose a 21x23 (aprox size) you will find that this is a lot of area to start your new deed building experience and will serve you well. A 3x3 wooden house with a door out into an enclosed farm/horse pen would be a good start and you might even want to place it in a corner out of the way somewhere on deed to avoid it being in an area you might want to develop later when you have a better idea of your further plans.

=Ayes=

Excellent advice!

• Like 1