Sign in to follow this  
McGarnicle

How does skill gain work in WU?

I am on a server with 1x skill gain. I was getting a skill tick in carpentry every action I did up until my skill hit 20. After 20, sometimes I would get a carpentry skill tick and sometimes not. I was told that this was normal after level 20. I was wondering is it completely random whether you get a skill tick or not. Or is there some determining factor as there is in WO? For example...when mining in WO, you get a skill tick only when the rock shard produced is between 1ql and 40ql. Is there something similar in WU?

In WU it's a skill tick on a successful attempt which is any roll greater then 0. In comparison to your rock shard example, a skill tick in mining when the shards are between 2 and 99. I'm pretty sure that failure and critical failure rolls when mining ( rolls less then 0) get rounded up to a 1 ql shard. If you actually rolled a 1 you should get a skill tick but there no way to know if it was that or a round up from a failure. In WO a roll of say 99 generally means the task was too easy (and the same is true for any 40+ roll) so no skill gain was given. This is the reason for rolls 1<x<40, not too hard, not too easy.

In WU you want to find the easiest possible thing that takes the least amount of resource and just spam create it. The problem with improving is the task difficulty starts to ramp up fast as the item's quality goes up. 

In the case of carpentry I think it's wood fishing hook. Get the highest possible quality carving knife you can find because that will make the task easier.

Wurm Unlimited does not have the "only when rock shard is X ql" type of skill gains.  All the various things like gaining skill with the stamina bar at the best location, focusing on the single best crop for your skill level, changing which spell your priest grinds, or whatever else are part of Wurm Online but not Wurm Unlimited.

In Wurm Unlimited, skill gain is based on every successful action.  If you do not have your skill gain set to show enough digits, you may not see any actual gain.  Having a skill tracker open is good for monitoring as the text will turn green.  Note that the higher your skill gets, the less you're actually going to gain.  This becomes noticeable past 70 and very clear over 90.  Getting to 100 skill is still very difficult on higher skill multipliers.

As a simple example, in Wurm Unlimited you can get your Woodcutting skill all the way to 90 by just by making kindling from logs.

So i am testing this with digging. I am finding that even if I dig a clay at max ql (which is just above 20) I sometimes do not get a digging skill tick. What am I missing?

One thing to check is access your settings from the launcher before you enter the game. Click on the TEXT tab and scroll to "Skill Tab Updates" by default this is 0.1. I'd recommend setting it to something lower at least 0.01 or smaller. If you are just "testing" and want the extra spam for now 0.001 or Always are good choices.

I always have it set to show every skill tick, no matter how small.

I'd guess this is the culprit from dig()

power = digging.skillCheck(diff, source, 0.0, false, counter);
if (power < 0.0) {
	for (int i = 0; i < 20; ++i) {
		power = digging.skillCheck(diff, source, 0.0, true, 1.0f);
		if (power > 1.0) {
			break;
		}
		power = 1.0;
	}
}

So you could do your roll, get a failure of 0 or less, and then the game will keep rolling another 20 times to try for some roll greater then 1. But those up to 20 additional rolls don't do skill checks. I guess we can't really look at output dirt quality test skill gain.

I could be wrong but I"m pretty sure doing the easiest thing possible over and over is best. For digging that should be use the highest quality shovel possible, do dig and drop dirt where the 4 connecting tile borders are nearly flat and repeat until 99.99999999 dig skill.

Note that clay increases digging difficulty by 20. and just for the heck of it...

clay +20

sand +10

tar +35

moss +10

marsh +30

steppe +40

tundra +20

slope +(max difference / 5)

Thanks for checking that for me! It makes me feel better knowing the best way to skill up.