Sign in to follow this  
Mickaell

PVP Guide for newbies

Hi.

I wrote this guide thinking that most people never get the chance to read something like this. Wurmpedia doesn't tell everything it should as you might already know.

Most people on freedom do not know these things , and sometimes even people on chaos.

Keep in mind that this is my own opinion, i'm by no means an all knowing wizard and there's far more experienced people at PVP than myself.

Guide starts up at freedom level 1FS toon and gets more complex as pages go on. Note that you should have a basic understanding of the wurm mechanics to be able to follow it. Basicly i want you to know what "body strength" is or how to create basic tools and so on and so forth.

Have fun.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vleppxC7I-qIZ3IXKBzRLoENsm9YT5cAf0JoAVsyu0I/edit?usp=sharing

• Like 10

Hmm not bad.

Few quick notes, didn't really go over it in detail, skillgain in archery is related to potential damage (ie more from arrows than mere shafts). Can also gain skill from shooting at other players for a certain period of time (the game lets you know in events) with a cooldown (3hrs?) per character.  This is also a good way for the player target to get some shield skill.

A brief mention about facing an archer with ur shield to more effectively block; though, nothing said about the differences among the shield sizes and types. Mentioning the blocking angle is good, as shields in solo use are pretty important defense from archers. Not to mention certain handy walls or fences. Unfortunately no formation shield defense ingame yet like shield walls.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Klaa said:

Few quick notes

I thought i'd get the bare minimums in, see how it's received and add more things as time goes on. Thank you for the info :)

• Like 1

-if you killed someone, grab his gear quickly. They can summon their corpse for 3k karma and get their gear back if you don't hurry.

Be sure to mention to actually take it off the corpse.

• Like 1

spear is double damage against horses, never tested it myself, a lot of people use them, good luck with this one.

It is only applying the extra damage when someone is riding the mount.

also, Longswords are good when you begin playing, once you get stronger they are really not going to help you at all, sure they have good parry rate and hit chance but the damage is going to be awful due to how unbalanced the DR stacks in this game, get yourself a medmaul once you can take hits, or a large axe (for pvp)

Edited by Firecat
  • Like 1

Also you didnt mention that you get a percentage of SOTG depending on your level now aso it goes up exponentially until lvl 11 at 30% so it IS worth going for because 6% SOTG could just save your life,

• Like 1

Very informative and very much appreciated!

Also fun to see you edit it in real time, thank goodness for the backspace button huh? :P

Looking forward to reading through more of it, and more attentively when day is done.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Very nice, and good to see people chiming in that have had experience.  I'd like to see this pinned so it stays relevant for a longer time :)

• Like 2

Nice guide! I personally always thought longswords on trees was a bit of a waste of time. The longsword is often out grown in time due to maul or axe being so popular. Also weapon skill at early stages is gained very quickly from fighting on a steppe or forrest. The carpentry gains from making arrow shafts and using them on a target always got body control up to 21 pretty quickly for me on several toons. Also is a incredibly useful skill to have in pvp, so the early jump on the grind helps imo. Thanks for making a pvp guide! I hope it will bring in some new blood.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Manik said:

I personally always thought longswords on trees was a bit of a waste of time

I found it was great for a 1 fighting skill toon to be able to through the first fighting levels, being able to hit the head from the very beginning is nice :)

Its not that its bad to gain the extra weapon skill. I just always felt the time it took to raise the weapon skill on trees was better spent raising it fighting since it went up pretty quick initially anyway. Also since shield and FS go up as well. All personal preference I suppose. I did raise my weapon on trees my first time i leveled a character. The half dozen other toons leveled, i chose to skip it and get right into fighting. 

13 hours ago, Mickaell said:

ok i didn't expect this to be that popular lmao

Pvpers coming out of the woodwork.:ph34r:

One of the main things as well is to join a group, going at it alone is near impossible, if not so. Any established group can help you with gear needed and most importantly advice regarding anything you may have forgot to list in your guide. The dynamics of pvp are large, takes years to grasp them all, it's like chess you can never master them all. All in all thou, good straight forward guide with some pretty good pointers.

• Like 2

That's true for the game in its extent, even for so-called hermits.

Though when one wants to pick a fight, bring friends. Friends with rifles and shotguns. Maybe some armor and artillery. Definitely air support. Oh and a dog.

Edited by Klaa

1 hour ago, Klaa said:

Oh and a dog.

no man pls, dog always dies saving the main protagonist....

• Like 2

On 03/08/2017 at 4:39 AM, ausimus said:

One of the main things as well is to join a group, going at it alone is near impossible, if not so. Any established group can help you with gear needed and most importantly advice regarding anything you may have forgot to list in your guide. The dynamics of pvp are large, takes years to grasp them all, it's like chess you can never master them all. All in all thou, good straight forward guide with some pretty good pointers.

I can attest for the difficulty of living in chaos alone. On a good day, you don't die and slowly get things going. 

On average it's tough to say the least. Not easy making all your own gear or having to scavenge for replacements from dying. I have to avoid conflict until I've made a stash of gear armor+weapons.  Can get quite expensive to buy everything ><