Sign in to follow this  
Xallo

Coffee + Ibexes, Some Love for High Altitude Wurmians

Currently, there are many benefits to living along water. You can park your boats at your deed, there are specific crops that can only be grown at water level (reed and rice), kelp can be harvested from the water, and quite a few animals spawn in or near the water (such as crabs, seals, tortoises, octopus, whales, dolphins, sharks, serpents, etc). You can fish as well, for food. So it's not very surprising that everyone wants to live on the coast.

What I'm suggesting is to add some crops and animals that are specific to higher altitudes, such as mountain goats (ibexes) and coffee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organisms_at_high_altitude

Ibex
7446577620_f2b9075741_b.jpg

[12:00:00] The ibex is a wild goat that lives in high altitudes and prefers mountainous terrain.

Ibexes would only be able to spawn on rock or cliff tiles above a certain altitude, or slopes above a certain altitude that are greater than 50-60.

They would not be bound to this area, so they could potentially migrate and roam around underneath mountains/hills.

Ibexes would be not be aggressive, but they would require taming to lead (difficulty of deer).

Butchered Produce:

12kg Goat Hide

.9kg Lamb Meats (sounds weird, but "Mutton" applies to both sheep and goat. Maybe change Lamb to Mutton in-game)

2 Eyes

2 Horns (I believe both males and females bear horns)

Hoof

Bladder

Gland

Ibex -> Goat Milk

Goat Milk -> Goat Cheese

Goat Cheese ->  ???? Recipes!

Coffee Tree

TR08-coffee-tree-01.jpg

Coffee Sprouts -> Coffee Tree

Coffee Tree -> Harvest Coffee Beans (in season)

Coffee Beans -> Ground Coffee Beans

Ground Coffee Beans + Boiling Water + etc -> Hot Coffee

FYI, Coffee is usually harvested in winter.

Drinking coffee would give a timed affinity, a small amount of stamina (such as alcohol does), and a small amount of sleep bonus that lowers your /fatigue (like Wisdom of Vynora). Drinking it COULD also not allow you to sleep in a bed for anywhere from 30m to an hour IRL after drinking it. :D

And just to further brainstorm, perhaps an actual farmable crop could be introduced as well, but I can't really think of anything that would work. Maybe quinoa (http://www.fao.org/quinoa/en/)?

Thoughts? :) 

Edited by Xallo
  • Like 16

+1  I"m very down with this, makes sense, were wurm in so many facets has adhered to and mimicked rl processes with so much accurate crossover.  This suggestion advances that practice to be even more inclusive and incentivise use of mtn tops.  I bet for ibex!

Edited by Bloodscythe

+1 for coffee and ibexes, will require snow leopards as well.

• Like 6

mmm the thought of snow leopard fir for clothing  has me want to grind climbing  even more so!!!

• Like 1

My thoughts are... a big, phat +1

I had one of those ~invisible snow leopards in WoW.  Loved that thing.

Spitting battle llamas and alpaca wool would be awesome too.

6 minutes ago, Pingpong said:

yes!

2odNMrl.jpg

• Like 2

You aint even got to ask if I support coffee. +100 Kelvin!

+1 keep saying they should add some new animals and trapping so like beavers and fox rabbits etc maybe add fur clothing to use their fur and pelts for and yes said today they should of added coffee with cooking update and think it should give a energy boost like maybe 30min of no stam drain or something like that so huge +1

18 hours ago, Pingpong said:

Don't care much about coffee but these two animal types at high elevations would be really nice to see. Also, very high mountain elevations should have permanent snow coverings on them. I remember seeing this on one WU server and it was another nice special feature it had. No reason why WO can't have the same high elevation snow covered areas as well.

=Ayes=

52 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

+1  Some form of mountain herb that can only be foraged/botanised above a certain height would also be nice...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_plant#Medicinal_alpine_plants

Based off your link, I think Rhubarb could definitely work as a crop. Maybe Fritillaries as a foraged herb (flower, but for Wurm, herb is fine).

• "In one study fritillaria reduced airway inflammation by suppressing cytokines, histamines, and other compounds of inflammatory response."

call me crazy but -1. The purpose of this suggestion is supposed to make living away from a coast cool, correct? I love that too, but your suggestion is to have animals spawn on the mountains, and have coffee trees. If these goats can be lead then a few people can go on a mountain, bring them down to mass breed, and then sell them to those who are lazy. As for Coffee, not too many people are gonna say "Oh screw a harbor and easy water, i want me some coffee." Both suggestions and anything similar to this does not fix the "issue" of the coast being the best place. Essentially, this suggestion can be simplified down to just adding more animals and more recipes. Which, by the way, would do barely anything.

If mountains were homes to monsters stronger than trolls, high difficulty trees and crops that can only be planted at a certain altitude, or anything else that can help with skills, then I think people would consider making a mountain base. If the majority of the game is grinding and building nice places, may as well make mountains attractive via grinding mechanics.

• Like 1

Just let me change my character race to Dwarf and allow to ride these things.

+1

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Yiraia said:

call me crazy but -1. The purpose of this suggestion is supposed to make living away from a coast cool, correct? I love that too, but your suggestion is to have animals spawn on the mountains, and have coffee trees. If these goats can be lead then a few people can go on a mountain, bring them down to mass breed, and then sell them to those who are lazy. As for Coffee, not too many people are gonna say "Oh screw a harbor and easy water, i want me some coffee." Both suggestions and anything similar to this does not fix the "issue" of the coast being the best place. Essentially, this suggestion can be simplified down to just adding more animals and more recipes. Which, by the way, would do barely anything.

If mountains were homes to monsters stronger than trolls, high difficulty trees and crops that can only be planted at a certain altitude, or anything else that can help with skills, then I think people would consider making a mountain base. If the majority of the game is grinding and building nice places, may as well make mountains attractive via grinding mechanics.

The goats can be lead but have to be tamed, making mass breeding an annoying task. Not many people mass breed deer or unicorns, or even dogs. Through the comments, snow leopards seem desirable and those could make their home there too, but, with wurms odd pathing and animal AI I do not know how easy it is to make animals stay on mountains (without only having them stuck on unreachable cliffs altogether) to prevent the breeding of them downhill.

For trees and crops; coffee would provide bonuses to sleep bonus which would make it quite worthwhile for those grinding. Crops suggested I saw would be quinoa and rhubarb, as well as certain items foraged only above x altitude. I'm not a herbologist tho and do not know much about high elevation plants, so if you know any more specific mountain plants let's add them too! :)

+1

Well worked out proposal that could be used as a stepping stone into breaking the coastal bias in game.

3 hours ago, Alyeska said:

The goats can be lead but have to be tamed, making mass breeding an annoying task. Not many people mass breed deer or unicorns, or even dogs. Through the comments, snow leopards seem desirable and those could make their home there too, but, with wurms odd pathing and animal AI I do not know how easy it is to make animals stay on mountains (without only having them stuck on unreachable cliffs altogether) to prevent the breeding of them downhill.

For trees and crops; coffee would provide bonuses to sleep bonus which would make it quite worthwhile for those grinding. Crops suggested I saw would be quinoa and rhubarb, as well as certain items foraged only above x altitude. I'm not a herbologist tho and do not know much about high elevation plants, so if you know any more specific mountain plants let's add them too! :)

well deer unicorns and dogs don't have harvest-able stuff until they are dead, however the suggestion shows that the ibex can be milked and are as easy to tame as deer (really easy). So the goat is basically a mountain cow that requires an extra step before breeding. The addition of snow leopards is pretty pointless, even if they would give new cool looking armor. There already exist a good amount creatures and the only cool looking crafted accessory from them is a bear helm. Everything other cool thing like horns sticking out of helms and black wolf helms I've seen are non craftable, just awards, unless im missing something. 

The sleep bonus from coffee was also suggested to be like wisdom of vynora, and if it is so then coffee would only be good if you have no sleep bonus and you want that lil bit for your meditation. as for any other crop idea, people are already making every possible affinity with the current food available. 

Everything sounds cool but seems like it would be a huge waste of time just adding more animals and crops when cooking has already been expanded and animals have yet to be.

• Like 2

Possibly the way to go would be if it was possible to set limits for breeding... ie-Ibex will only breed above 'X' dirts.

This means you could lead them down but you have to breed them in the mountains.  Seems like it could be implemented much like young creatures won't breed until older but it could be more complex than it seems.

Just a thought (but appreciate it... I have so few!!!)

• Like 1

I'd love to see Wurm get more regional stuff. Especially +1 to mountain harvestables/crops/forage-ables. 

Please put coffee under Gardening skill somehow, make it plantable on planters or something, give gardening some reason to exist.